somila

A lesson in disappointment

SarDonik
Exactly. Alicia Coutts is 26. Liesel Jones is 27. Emily Seebohm is 20 and James Magnussen is 21. Five years makes a lot of difference for young people. And they WERE gracious in defeat. Emily Seebohm didn't put a foot wrong during that medal ceremony. The problem was the invasion of the cameras and the microphones within one minute of defeat that ought to have been victory. It's a lot for any kid to handle. Team sport is a bit different. The members of a hockey team or a basketball team (apart from the captains) are not bombarded at the end of matches.

True.

BadCat

I don't blame the media for Emily at all. She was upset. She got over it. Nothing to do with the media.

The media surrounding the relay loss however, is nothing less than disgusting.

kpingitquiet

I wouldn't say cockiness in US Olympic athletes is celebrated, at all...more like acknowledged and shelved. Most of the article/blog comments I've seen about Lochte's grill are along the lines of "What an idiot...but man can he swim!" and on Phelps less than stellar reputation I've seen many posts like a friend of mine wrote on FB, saying, "Congratulations Michael Phelps! You deserve it! (Even if you do sound like a raging douche outside of the pool)". I wouldn't know much about other US coverage as Channel 9 hasn't been showing much of other countries! :)

Ducky*Fuzz

I had this argument with my husband last night. He said she shouldn't be whinging until I reminded him of what she had sacrificed to train for the Olympics, she's put on the spot when she's feeling vulnerable and there must be pressure from her parents - otherwise she'd have said she was disappointed and not mentioned them.

The parents would have made many sacrifices too, but that does not entitle them to make their daughter feel like crap if she doesn't win! Everyone who made it is absolutely awesome and should be praised for their efforts. Not to be ridiculed and made to feel like a failure.

Edited by ~*MESS*~

DEVOCEAN
The parents would have made many sacrifices too, but that does not entitle them to make their daughter feel like crap if she doesn't win! Everyone who made it is absolutely awesome and should be praised for their efforts. Not to be ridiculed and made to feel like a failure.

I will give her my DH as a dad for awhile. DD13's team lost their semi final last night. DD was sort of quiet but handling it ok, but was laughing when DH said "Yay for no training for awhile. Mcflurries and red rooster here we come."