somila

A lesson in disappointment

somila

Hasn't it been fascinating to watch the way athletes have responded to being less successful than expected? Makes me wonder how I would respond if I had a mic and a camera shoved in my face at the moments I "failed" to achieve my goals.

Blondiebear

Yes it has been fascinating, and even more fascinating is how the media/fans react to the athlete's reactions. Apparently there is one "right" way to act when what you have worked for and dreamed about your entire life doesn't go the way you planned, and if you don't say/do the right things moments later than you're a terrible person.

little bird

i wish this girl sooking about only winning silver would shut up. her rants and sooks about it being 'not good enough' are doing nothing but slapping the achievements of other silver and bronze winning olympians in the face.

HRH Countrymel

I wondered at the environment she came from where she would think to say "I've let my parents down..."

FeralMinx

16YB its totally understandable! She swam faster in the heats, if she had swam then same in the final she would have won gold... totally understandable. She was gutted by not winning gold... doesn't mean she is not separately happy to have gone to the olympics and got a silver medal - though I am sure it will always be tainted with pain for her.

dynamitee
i wish this girl sooking about only winning silver would shut up. her rants and sooks about it being 'not good enough' are doing nothing but slapping the achievements of other silver and bronze winning olympians in the face.

Obviously you've been in the same position before! :rolleyes:

I don't think she's even considering how other athletes have done. She is thinking about her own circumstances and where she feels she failed when it was really such a close race.

It must be incredibly difficult to be held on such a high pedestal and then feel like you've not met expectation. I'm still amazed that James Magnussen carried the responsibility for the failed relay yet James Roberts did a pretty poor job and didn't even get into the final last night for the 100m freestyle. The media so loves to cut people down and vilify.

Milly Molly Mandy

I think unless you have been in their shoes you have no idea how they feel. They dedicate their lives to achieving a goal for years and years, restricted diets, social life etc. they are focused on a goal and work towards that, so yeah if they truly believe they can get gold and don't they have every right to be devastated. Imagine how they feel they are shattered and five seconds later they have a microphone shoved in their face and are asked how they feel. And people want them to be composed and articulate. Far out, give them a break.

DEVOCEAN

I think some people are just never told or been allowed to know that it is okay to lose or come last.

Tigerdog
I think unless you have been in their shoes you have no idea how they feel. They dedicate their lives to achieving a goal for years and years, restricted diets, social life etc. they are focused on a goal and work towards that, so yeah if they truly believe they can get gold and don't they have every right to be devastated.

In a way it's a cultural thing, elite sportspeople have always been accorded higher-than-God status in this country - maybe if this wasn't the case their expectations might be a bit more realistic hence they would be able to cope better with disappointment. I get that there needs to be a drive to succeed behind the effort but not everyone can win - someone has to come second and third and there's no written rule anywhere that states Australians must come first in every sport every time (sometimes I think this is what people truly do believe).

Soontobegran

How very compassionate :unsure:

Her disappointment was entirely normal under the circumstances. Unlike so many commentators and audience they do move on....she has shut up BTW!

wish*upon*a*star

I think it is interesting society expect Olympians to put on a certain performance being interviewed moments after their dreams are defeated (whatever those dreams might be). How dare they experience a range of normal human emotions in response to what has occurred!

Soontobegran
I think it is interesting society expect Olympians to put on a certain performance being interviewed moments after their dreams are defeated (whatever those dreams might be). How dare they experience a range of normal human emotions in response to what has occurred!

Exactly. We all experience disappointment in ourselves, whether it be in the workplace, or how we have perhaps dealt with our children and if someone shoved a microphone in front of my face at one of these moments I do not believe my response would be as 'controlled' as some of these kids and young adults have had.

iheartu
I wondered at the environment she came from where she would think to say "I've let my parents down..."

I thought the same thing.

I really feel for the athletes, it can't be easy having a camera and microphone shoved in your face before you've even had a chance to dry off and catch your breath.

Fifteenyears

i wish this girl sooking about only winning silver would shut up.

I just really felt for her. Two more minutes to get her sh*t together before the microphone was shoved in her face and she probably would have provided a less emotional interview.

This really has been the first Olympics where silver and bronze have been portrayed as disappointments rather than the amazing achievements they actually are. I think it's coming from the commentators, the reporters and the athletes themselves.

More than anything, I suspect it reflects expectations that have arisen from the performance of our swim team in the past few Olympics, and the pressure that has placed on the current team to bring home a swag of gold.

little bird

oh please. i do have compassion towards her disappointment. did you even read what was written? if she has any sense at all, she will stop downplaying the fantastic achievement that IS winning a silver medal for the interests of her fellow team mates.

immediate responses straight out of the pool are understandable, but to days later still be saying it's not good enough, in my opinion, is just not good enough. she's effectively saying that anyone who gets less than gold should be miserable.

and yeah, while i am not an olympian, i do know how hard it is to do what they are doing, and have lived the life of a competitive swimmer for 15 years as i was training for most of my early childhood right alongside some of the greats.

kpingitquiet

My husband and I noticed this, too. Not just the athletes' reactions but the harping by the media on the relay, etc. We thought they should take a cue from the Canadian divers who won bronze in the 10m womens and just about fell over themselves with joy. FGS, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in the world is hardly a failure. What the hell kind of pressure are coaches and the general public putting on these kids to make them feel like the world is ending if they get freaking silver?

dynamitee
and yeah, while i am not an olympian, i do know how hard it is to do what they are doing, and have lived the life of a competitive swimmer for 15 years as i was training for most of my early childhood right alongside some of the greats.

No, I don't think you do.

James Magnussen during an interview this morning said that he wasn't prepared for the pressure of swimming at the Olympics. This is coming from a man that is the world champion and fastest swimmer ever in the 100m in a textile suit. As a competitive swimmer you should know that there is more at play here than just going out there and jumping in the pool.

I agree with others who have said that the media is to blame here for the downgrading of silver and bronze and the athletes, particularly our swimmers are suffering for that.

Soontobegran

I believe both her parents were elite athletes so that may explain the environment she is accustomed to.

oh please. i do have compassion towards her disappointment. did you even read what was written? if she has any sense at all, she will stop downplaying the fantastic achievement that IS winning a silver medal for the interests of her fellow team mates.

immediate responses straight out of the pool are understandable, but to days later still be saying it's not good enough, in my opinion, is just not good enough. she's effectively saying that anyone who gets less than gold should be miserable.

If you were an athlete at an elite level then you'd know that her disappointment is centred ONLY on her own performance. She knows she has done better, she was disappointed she didn't mirror her PB.

There are some athletes who DO celebrate a bronze or a silver because in attaining these they have done the best they feel they can or better.

little bird

oh ffs. i'm talking about the fact of how hard it is to give your life to something like this. of course i don't know what it's like to stand on that starting block in particular or the mind games it must play on you.

do you?

Soontobegran
No, I don't think you do.

James Magnussen during an interview this morning said that he wasn't prepared for the pressure of swimming at the Olympics. This is coming from a man that is the world champion and fastest swimmer ever in the 100m in a textile suit. As a competitive swimmer you should know that there is more at play here than just going out there and jumping in the pool.

I agree with others who have said that the media is to blame here for the downgrading of silver and bronze and the athletes, particularly our swimmers are suffering for that.

I really admired him when he was interviewed when he talked about learning more about himself in 2 days than he had in 20 years and how he had let himself succumb to the pressure of expectations placed on him. It's so much to ask if these kids and you have the likes of those idiotic commentators like Hadley and Brown on Foxtel who forget they are doing a public commentary and not a talk back radio program for shock jocks. :sick:

I really wish him well, no matter the outcome.

little bird

anyway, walkin' away from this one. simple statement about her being aware of how her statements could affect her team mates has been turned into me lacking compassion. meh.

Soontobegran
oh ffs. i'm talking about the fact of how hard it is to give your life to something like this. of course i don't know what it's like to stand on that starting block in particular or the mind games it must play on you.

do you?

No I haven't stood on the starting blocks at the Olympic level but I still manage to have empathy and compassion for the athletes and am surprised that since you have, that you do not seem to understand her perfectly 'normal' reaction.

ellebelle

Four years from now I think team / media / Australia will have to consider expectations. China is going to dominate for a long time to come I think.

Red Cabbage

Once upon a time.... it was a brilliant achievement to gain a silver medal, or... swim at the olympics. Being a 'favourite' going into the race doesn't grant you a gold medal. Staying up late on social media before a swim is also a bad idea.

Pooks_

I think that girl had reason to worry she'd disappointed her parents, given the comments I saw them make were along the lines of 'she just has to focus on getting gold in the next one' :(