Ruf~Feral~es

Another media vent!

Ruf~Feral~es

OK, I am officially OVER the media when it comes to the Olympics. I think we need a national inquiry into the way our media treats olympians!!!

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/london-ol...8-1226438467664

I can't figure out if this story is meant to be sarcastic...... I don't really care. It is the absolute outrage that some athletes didn't win gold!

YOU were shocked when The Missile misfired, as the men's 4x100m freestyle relay team crashed and burned out of medal contention this morning.

Were we? Shocked? Really?

But far more importantly, James Magnussen did NOT brush Channel Nine commentator Giaan Rooney after the race. We repeat, he did NOT completely ignore her after the race

OK. Thanks for sharing that.

Just to clarify, again, Rooney, a former swimmer herself, Tweeted this morning: "Would like everyone to know that Magnussen didn't brush me, he was just walking around in a daze, don't think he even knew I was there."

Phew. Glad we got that sorted.

sarcasm?

Fans on Twitter were quick to rip into Magnussen especially, who'd enjoyed such great hype leading into London 2012.

Sports reporter Angela Pippos summed up the sentiment, tweeting: "Poor form by James Magnussen in post-race interview. Total lack of grace and respect. #London2012."

Remember though, he did not brush Giaan Rooney.

OK, we get it..... or is it more sarcasm?

And don't forget the little "Vote Now" box -

Was this Australian swimming’s greatest disappointment in Olympic history?

Vote YES / NO

Seriously, is this really the way we want our "news" reported?

(When will I learn to just tick to the ABC!)

cordyline

I am so glad I am not the only one getting all huffy about the media. Over-dramatising everything, putting so much pressure on athletes, and the awful post race interviews trying to incite emotions and tears. Makes me cringe.

Geez - just show us the sports and report the results. That is all I want.

MuppetGirl

Now this media vent I agree with.

It is awful to see Australian media putting down a swimmer who has given so much to this sport.

On this mornings radio report they said "He had such a bad start to the race, he was a second off his personal best, what a disappointment".

Ummm a second? One second? He was slower than his PB by one second and we are slamming him?

Pretty bad media reporting given the roasting they just got from their despicable reporting over Leisal Jones.

MrsLexiK
Now this media vent I agree with.

It is awful to see Australian media putting down a swimmer who has given so much to this sport.

On this mornings radio report they said "He had such a bad start to the race, he was a second off his personal best, what a disappointment".

Ummm a second? One second? He was slower than his PB by one second and we are slamming him?

Pretty bad media reporting given the roasting they just got from their despicable reporting over Leisal Jones.

This just needed to be repeated.

HerringToMarmalade

agreed. I was so looking forward to these olympics but the media is just bringing it down.

mummame

Agreed. Was cringing this morning for poor ? Taggert on the Today show, poor man looked like he would cry. Why is 4th such a huge letdown, they all have worked so hard to get there in the 1st place. I am feeling sorry for the swimmers, they did their best!

Ruf~Feral~es

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/london-ol...8-1226438262922

And it gets even better - now the Herald Sun.....

OUR failure to win a medal in the men's 4x100m freestyle relay is our greatest swimming disaster in a rich history that dates back to Fanny Durack winning gold at the 1912 Stockholm Olympics.

From there they basically slipped backwards in front of our shattered eyes, with the French winning gold ahead of the US and Russia.
My bold.

I have watched the Olympics closely since Mexico City in 1968 and no individual or team has performed so far below expectations as the current Australian world champions did.

Oh come on!

Jon Anderson, you should be more ashamed of yourself than these swimmers should!!!!!

MrsLexiK

I'm reading an article at the moment about the Chinese swimmer Shiwen Ye. They are comparing her final lap time to Lochte's final lap time and she beat his time. They then go on to say "Another scary thing" Please tell me how the hell it is a scary thing???????

http://www.theage.com.au/olympics/swimming...0730-238lr.html

Ruf~Feral~es
I'm reading an article at the moment about the Chinese swimmer Shiwen Ye. They are comparing her final lap time to Lochte's final lap time and she beat his time. They then go on to say "Another scary thing" Please tell me how the hell it is a scary thing???????

I can't believe there hasn't been a drug allegation yet - by the media.

I wonder if that is what they are implying here:

Patrick Miley, father and coach of British swimmer Hannah Miley, said he had been surprised by Ye's time. "It was a remarkable performance," he said. Was it credible, though, beating Lochte in that final split? "She is an excellent freestyle swimmer," was all Miley said.

~mimo~

I was only thinking this morning, (and this is coming from someone who has no hope ever of competing in anything sporting), but if you came last in the Olympics, shouldn't you be overjoyed that you qualified in the first place?

MrsLexiK
I can't believe there hasn't been a drug allegation yet - by the media.

I wonder if that is what they are implying here:

I think you are right. Though I did hear Grant Hackett speaking and actually agreed with the duouch. That many times the host nation does not see the benefits until the next Olympics. There is all this funding going around for the host nation so they put it into the Athlets but alot of the time the Athlets do not peak until the following games. Ie Australia at Athens. I don't know whether he said those things so that the glory wasn't taken off the Chinese swimmer who had just won (and they were at 5 medals when he spoke) or not, but it did make sense.

Zarlias

As someone who is 99.9% sure that they will never even come within a bee's d*ck of representing their country at anything ever, I'm fairly sure we should be applauding those who do, regardless of the outcome.

A giant middle finger to the media from me on my couch.

BadCat

Bloody media.

Dog forbid they could just cheer for the boys coming 4th. No. Better to make it sound as though they wallowed like pigs in mud and brought about the complete ruination of the fabled Aussie way of life.

Tossers.

PrincessPeach

I think they should be applauded just for qualifying to be able to complete at the Olympics.

Frockme

Completely agree! Thank god for Foxtel. 8 Channels of Olympic reporting, none of it by CH9. ;)

Starrydawn

I know they should be applauding the french team. what a swim by their final guy to beat the US.

The guys swam their best which wasn't the best swim ever by their own admission. But thats how it goes on the day. No need to make them feel like failures on behalf of the nation.

As Eamon Sullivan said support not throwing stones.

minidiamond

Erm, one second in a 100m race is a massive amount.

Not agreeing with the media criticism, but just sayin.

casime

I hate the media with a passion, and I hate sore losers. The boys should have said "congratulations to the other teams, we were outclassed on the day". They competed, and they were beaten fair and square. To sulk and mope about it (whether it be the media or the swimmers themselves) is just poor sportsmanship.

PixieVee

I do think it's unfair and I think they are amazing even if they came dead last.

But a national inquiry? What a waste of money that would be!

Edited by PixieVee

Liv_DrSperm_sh

This is an olympics vent I can get behind!

As a NZer I was actually secretly pleased when the French beat the Americans...that was awesome!

BUT the bloody hype in the lead up to this event for the Australian team was bloody ridiculous and now they are acting like this is the equivalent to half of Australia being sunk beneath the waves! I feel really sorry for those four guys!

Oh and god forbid they actually show any of the other sports being played!!

Blondiebear

The coverage overall by Channel 9 thus far has been absolutely appalling. Bad enough that we have to put up with revolting Grant Hackett, he's actually sounding intelligent and insightful compared to Rabs Warren with his "our girl" crap, NFI who is in what position and mispronunciation of every second name. Then when we could actually be seeing some other sports we get ad nauseum repetition of the gold medal "girls" and the pointlessness of Karl Stefanovic.

I'd really love to be able to just enjoy the Olympics and the wonderful performances by so many outstanding athletes from around the world without dwelling on a few overexposed Aussie swimmers and how they are or aren't living up to our expectations.

casime
I'd really love to be able to just enjoy the Olympics and the wonderful performances by so many outstanding athletes from around the world without dwelling on a few overexposed Aussie swimmers and how they are or aren't living up to our expectations.

I agree with this. Our equestrian athletes are world class and barely get a look in.

And Channel 9, I did think that the womens relay swim was very good. I enjoyed watching it. I didn't even mind seeing it twice. Seeing it twenty times in the space of one evening made me want to throw something at the television.

But seriously

I agree with the equestrian comment. Australia are sitting second after Germary after the first day (which was dessage, our worst area) and there has been no coverage ANYWHERE. At least tonight I can sit back, watch the eventing round thanks to Foxtel and see if we can get ourselves into a winning spot for the showjumping

I dont watch Channel 9 and agree on the overblown nature of the coverage but commentators are entitled to ask questions of the mens 4 x 100 performance. One second slower is huge in 100m terms and only Eamon Sullivan swan a good leg.

Athletes and coaches are supposed to taper down for the Olympics and aim for PB times. Like Christian Slanger who did a PB this morning to win silver in the 100m breaststroke.

That's the aim, personal best performances. Of course it wont always happen and even if you do, you may not win anything but acheving a PB is what is aimed for

Ruf~Feral~es
But a national inquiry? What a waste of money that would be!

I meant that "tongue in cheek"! Of course I don't want a national inquiry. Although it feels like the media would like a national inquiry into how "our boys" devastated the entire country!!!! :D

commentators are entitled to ask questions of the mens 4 x 100 performance. One second slower is huge in 100m terms and only Eamon Sullivan swan a good leg.

I'm not so sure I agree. Leave that to the coaches etc. They did the best they could on the day. I'm sure they didn't dive into the pool thinking "Ahh, stuff it, I can't be bothered today". OK, it didn't go according to plan. But the media headlines are ridiculous. They go way beyond mere questioning performance.

mudskippa

I thought this was stupid too. I wasn't shocked or devastated and in fact, I don't even care and still think the Aussie team is pretty good if they got to the Olympics.