Sign in to follow this  
zande

Our Olympians are not heroes and they're not brave!

Blondiebear
I agree with the PPs who talked about footballers. I also hate football and the exultation of ordinary guys who can kick a football around. I would much rather put the Nobel prize winners up there. People like Charlie Teo, who saves many lives and research scientists who discover cures for dreadful diseases. These are the people who are the heroes, not the sports stars, who are only concerned with their own grandiose place on the podium. We had a footballer in our city, who was a criminal in his private life, but because he played football, he was held in high esteem. :rant:

But Charlie Teo doesn't put himself in danger to save lives - therefore he's not a hero or brave either.

DEVOCEAN
We had a footballer in our city, who was a criminal in his private life, but because he played football, he was held in high esteem. :rant:

Yeah yeah. So all get tarred with the same brush because of the actions of some. :doh:

BlondieUK

I have been watching (lots of) the outstanding BBC coverage. They do not routinely use words like 'hero' or 'brave'. That kind of hyperbole doesn't seem to be part of the (thinking) media, here. Which pleases me. Sports people may be idols or role models, but they are not heroes. And while individual actions may sometimes qualify as 'brave' (i.e. the point made about the French gymnast; or the cyclist in the men's road race who continues while injured), that moniker is best awarded to those who help others or show long term courage, or a short term miracle (such as rescuing a child from a flooded creek).

Soontobegran
I don't think this thread is in bad taste. I think it is a valid topical discussion. But then again, I did find STBG's thread on the Chamberlain's a while back to be in bad taste whilst I can appreciate it was also a valid topical discussion for other people. *shrugs*

Can I ask why it was in bad taste?

I think all I asked was whether the media and the people would get off their backs now the official verdict had been laid down?

I asked because I feel terribly for all they had been through and hoped it would end.

The Cat

I meant no personal offence toward you STBG, sorry if you are taking it this way.

I just found the question to induce some more random gossip about them and my answer was it doesn't matter what we think.

Like I said in the reply quoted, I think this is a valid topical discussion as was yours, even if I didn't like it. If that makes sense?

bluesurrender
\They may not be heroic, but they are heroes to many.

This is what I think, too.

I agree they are not heroes, but I do think they are brave.

I watched a French gymnast land flat on her a$$ yesterday. She then had to do it again. In front of a stadium full of people. Broadcast around the world. Potentially seen by billions of people, she fell flat on her butt, then got up, did it again and landed it. That takes bravery.

I agree with this too and together the two quotes basically form my response.

Expelliarmus

What's wrong with having a sporting hero?

There's lots of different types of heroes.

There are worse people to look up to than the likes of Cathy Freeman, Dawn Fraser and Leisel Jones. Kieran Perkins was quite inspiring to me back in the day and the courage and bravery of many athletes such as Muhummad Ali are nothing to sneer at.

I'd rather. My DDs idolize Lauren Jackson or Lauren Mitchell than some of those 'pop stars' out there.

JRA

I agree howdo. I have no idea why it is wrong to have a sporting hero

-al-

I am very much against the over use of the term hero, however feel that many disabled olympians may be considered brave and heroic.

Sign in to follow this