Sign in to follow this  
zande

Our Olympians are not heroes and they're not brave!

zande

Of course with the Olympics on atm we get the overload of these ridiculous comments :rant: Dedicated, yes, committed, yes, talented without a doubt, but swimming or running or participating any other sport for your country is not heroic nor brave.

Brave is a young child battling cancer or another life-threatening illness. Heroism is an Aussie digger at war or in peace-keeping activities.

Our Aussie athletes, and don't even get me started on bloody footballers of any code, are NOT heroes. I am sick to death of the exultant heights sports takes on in this country.

rob6712col

I completely agree!!

JJ

I totally agree - the word hero is overused/misused so much that it's starting to lose all meaning. Even dealing with adversity or being in a war doesn't automatically make you a hero IMO - you still have to act like one. Ditto "miracle", and yes, "brave" too.

As you say OP, olympians have all sorts of other admirable qualities.

Edited by JJ

JRA

They may not be heroic, but they are heroes to many.

j-gray

It's hardly something to get so riled up over. In fact, sportspeople aren't treated nearly as well as they are in other countries like the US where they are paid to be sportspeople. Most australian athletes work full time jobs in addition to the many hours of training they put in.

They are heroes to some, so why do you care ?

Chelli

I hear you on the footballer thing. I once saw a write up on a footballer who I knew personally. The heading contained the words "local hero" and I nearly gagged on my breakfast. This is a person who had received a life ban from one football club for urinating in a refrigerator at a function, was a well known drunk, and had various children in various locations - none of whom he acknowledged or supported financially. However, when he was sober enough, he managed to kick a football around, and sometimes even do it well. If that is the definition of a hero, then how embarrassing for that town.

Anyway...

I just said this exact thing in another thread couldn't agree more!!

Elemenopee

I agree they are not heroes, but I do think they are brave.

I watched a French gymnast land flat on her a$$ yesterday. She then had to do it again. In front of a stadium full of people. Broadcast around the world. Potentially seen by billions of people, she fell flat on her butt, then got up, did it again and landed it. That takes bravery.

franklet

They could be considered heroes. A hero doesn't have to be fighting the 'good cause', it just has to be a person others look up to.

And brave should be something you choose. It doesn't have to be sacrificing yourself for others or doing something sad or dangerous. Just choosing to push yourself past your natural instincts. Training so hard to become an Olympian could fit that definition.

I hate how sports stars are looked up to more than other (in my opinion) more deserving people, but what can you do?

The Cat

'Idol' would be a more appropriate term to use. Kids look up to them, how they achieve their gold medal/elite athlete standards and aspire to them.

Gumbette

THANk YOU!

I couldn't agree more. Admirable? Yes. Heroic? We'll I'd prefer to save the term for those who put themselves in harms way to help another.

MrsLexiK

I agree on most part, however there are sporting stars who have done wonderful things and who do deserve some wonderful credit for the extra effort they put in to get to where they are.

What I can't stand is when we put these ordinary people up high and try and make examples of them and then complain when they do something that a lot of there peers who are their age but don't have sport stardom do. ie: get drunk and act like a d*ck when they are in there teens/tweenties.

miriams

In terms of the definition of the word, they qualify equally with someone who puts their life in danger or overcomes great obstacles. I think that they would, technically, qualify more than someone who overcomes cancer. That is not heroic (albeit admirable). The term principally applies to a person of great prowess and ability. The word is Greek in origin and they called some of their mythological figures who were physically strong but otherwise often selfish, eg Achilles, Hercules etc, heroes..Soldiers are not automatically heroes either (think Abu Ghraib, Robert Bales etc).

ComradeBob
. In fact, sportspeople aren't treated nearly as well as they are in other countries like the US where they are paid to be sportspeople. Most australian athletes work full time jobs in addition to the many hours of training they put in.

Yeah, but they don't have to pay HECS on all their training at the AIS do they? Unlike those who perform socially useful jobs, like doctors, teachers and nurses, who all have to pay the government back for the cost of their training.

Cranky Kitten

I think they are as human as the rest of us. They are exceptionally talented and dedicated yes, but I wouldn't say any more heroic than the next person.

But brave...yes. I don't think anyone who remembers watching Gillian Rolton fall off her horse, break her collarbone and then get back up and keep riding to complete the cross country section of the eventing would say that competing at that level doesn't take guts and bravery.

VigilantePaladin

And the good old Australian tall poppy syndrome is alive and well.....

They might not be heroes and brave to you but to many they are. Inspirational is another word that comes to mind. So does dedicated and disciplined.

daisydo

I think a certain amount of bravery is required.

I for one would not be brave enough to jump off the 10m diving platform, or jump those solid cross country fences whilst galloping on a horse, or do a back flip on a balance beam.

Therefore I think they are brave.

Liv_DrSperm_sh

Oh come on! Calm down! Of all the things to get upset about!

I actually think it's bloody brave to get up in front of the world and put yourself out there...and actually, I think the dedication and commitment they need to have to get themselves there is heroic....

DEVOCEAN
Of course with the Olympics on atm we get the overload of these ridiculous comments :rant: Dedicated, yes, committed, yes, talented without a doubt, but swimming or running or participating any other sport for your country is not heroic nor brave.

Brave is a young child battling cancer or another life-threatening illness. Heroism is an Aussie digger at war or in peace-keeping activities.

Our Aussie athletes, and don't even get me started on bloody footballers of any code, are NOT heroes. I am sick to death of the exultant heights sports takes on in this country.

Most of your post I agree with. However it is a bit annoying to see people lumping all footballers together. Just as with every other sport or even Job out there, there are good in it as well as bad.

They may not be heroic, but they are heroes to many.

Exactly, and some of those out there have been through just as much as some the OP would label heroes. Some are suffering or have suffered cancer and other diseases. Are they not worthy of being labelled heroes simply because they also happen to be sports stars.

Some children who are suffering from illness also look up to some sports stars. Would the OP stand there and tell a child who may die, that that person they look up to is not worthy of it. Of course not.

OP just let it be. Let others have their heroes, because for some it is all they have.

Edited by fairyflossfart

MrsLexiK
But brave...yes. I don't think anyone who remembers watching Gillian Rolton fall off her horse, break her collarbone and then get back up and keep riding to complete the cross country section of the eventing would say that competing at that level doesn't take guts and bravery.

You reminded me I was watching an old olympic gym thing where an American was doing his routine on the horse thing and he totally missed the horse then and fell straight onto his head. (He missed due to the flash photography going off in his eyes) they allowed him to redo it - to me that is brave. I don't think I could get back up and attempt it that quickly after I had come very very close to injuring myself very badly.

Some sports do have a higher level of "braviness" to begin with.

Elemenopee

This is another inspirational Olympic story (in short, the Irish gymnast Kieran Behan has been wheelchair bound twice in his life, for separate reasons, and still qualified this year)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kieran_Behan

Sentient Puddle

I think gymnasts who do a backflip on the beam are bloody brave!

WinterIsComing

Well heros or not, they are a fine example of relentless committment, fearlesssness, and hard work.

In the society full of fickle characters like Paris Hilton, Kardashians, Lara Bingle, Kings Cross zsars, etc, it is very imprtant to have such positive role models for younger generations. Heros in my book.

And the glory is so heart warming to most Australians!

What a negative attitude.

raven74

Go and stand underneath one of those cross-country jumps and tell me you don't need a good dose of cojones to ride that course. They are brave. Big time.

I don't necessarily think that they are heroes, but acts of sporting heroism certainly occur.

MrsNorthman
And the good old Australian tall poppy syndrome is alive and well.....

They might not be heroes and brave to you but to many they are. Inspirational is another word that comes to mind. So does dedicated and disciplined.

I agree with this. What a shame to have a thread like this :no:

Sign in to follow this