Sentient Puddle

Will you be happy if Nick D'Arcy wins a medal?

Anyway...
No, assault cases are a public matter so it's not just between him and Cowell. Plus, he's an Olympia and they have obligations around their public profile because they get public money.

He served his time for the assault case and was also banned from events including the Olympics he has paid his dues for the assault case, more so than anyone else would in the same situation.

The civil case is between him and cowley.

matt1972
The civil case is between him and cowley and Tracey Grimshaw

My edit in bold

liveworkplay

Although I do know of the case (although not the details) I wouldn't know Nick D'Arcy if I fell over him.

It's sport. Just sport. I am not the beating of cheast, shouting of song type of spectator. I do however, love the fact Kazakhstan is leading Australia on the medal tally :lol:

Anyway...
My edit in bold

Haha how could I forget her!

tres-chic

Every time I hear the name Nick D'Arcy I see in my mind the image of Simon Cowley's bruised and battered face. You smash someone's face in then you're probably going to have some popularity issues.

Of course D'Arcy has served the punishments he was given and is free to continue with his swimming career. If he wins a medal then he has earned it. Will I be 'happy' that he's won, not particularly. I'd say I'll be ambivalent at best.

MrsLexiK
So you know for a fact that's what happened here? I've known bouncers who were attacked without provocation so does my anecdata cancel out yours?

Poor Nick D'arcy is the victim of 3 random, unprovoked attacks and despite all evidence to the contrary and the findings of courts, he's done nothing wrong and EB is being mean!

But then your argument becomes muddled. Because he's done nothing wrong, so how does what he's done need to be compared to driving a car fast or smoking cigarettes? Either he's done something wrong or he hasn't.

And I don't see smashing someone's face in is as in any way similar to smoking cigarettes. It's truly surreal that anyone could suggest the two acts are comparable.

He's not a naughty boy who skipped school. He's a convicted violent felon.

That's something society does see as a big deal. Unless the felon is a famous athlete. Then he's just a naughty boy.

I never said he did nothing wrong. The force in which he used back on Simon was the wrong amount of force I said that already in this thread. What I do think is that he can move on from this and live a normal life just like countless other males who have done similar things but haven't had their cases plastered all over TV. I don't deny that some thugs do go out and target bouncers, but this wasn't the case with the Nick D'arcy and the bouncer. Perhaps read into the Tim Peach thing, there is a stack of witnesses who are agreeing with Nick D'arcy - and hey Nick has said he has a problem with alcohol, he has given up alcohol - guess what no problems. He hasn't blamed it on other people and tried to walk away from it, he has been open about it (unlike other "stars") he walked away from the bouncer incident, and this is why I guess me and others think he deserves a second chance for.

My edit in bold

you are making me laugh today

choccy2

I couldn't care less if he wins or not.

Edited by choccy2

Tammy Swanson
He retired from swimming in 2004.

It was reported at the time of the incident that he was working towards becoming a mentor/jnr coach within swimming australia which after the incident was impossible so yes he did ruin his future career.

I'd love to know what career Simon Cowley had that was ruined?

While SC could have been described as pleasant looking before the event, he certainly wasn't male model material so how could his career, whatever it was, have been ruined?

I remember reading recently that after the incident and court case SC has suffered from crippling depression which has left him unable to work and he is now bankrupt himself due to medical bills as funnily enough when you get your head and jaw smashed in you incur some costs. I think he is on the mend now and his name is just as notorious as D'arcys and everyone will always remember his name.

MrsLexiK
It was reported at the time of the incident that he was working towards becoming a mentor/jnr coach within swimming australia which after the incident was impossible so yes he did ruin his future career.

I just wanted to say that the incident would not make it impossible for him to be a coach nor a mentor. He has probably overcome more now then what he had previously. Previously is was about physical ability, now it is about physical and psychological pain. I actually think he could make a good name for himself as a mentor.

Tammy Swanson
I just wanted to say that the incident would not make it impossible for him to be a coach nor a mentor. He has probably overcome more now then what he had previously. Previously is was about physical ability, now it is about physical and psychological pain. I actually think he could make a good name for himself as a mentor.

fair point I guess. He could not work within swimming australia though as Nick D'arcy is still on the team. how would that work??

Look I think we all know or have been in the situation where we have made some dumb choices in our youth But I just think he should not be let off so easy, as sure he was charged and served what ever sentence or penalties he was given, but to coward out of paying his dues to the victim just makes me think he is scummy, as he choose the easy way out. I do think the gun photo thing was dumb though and if it was anyone else besides those two it would have been a non story.

chat

It does not sit right with me OP. I think he should pay if he is ever in a position to do so. They were just talking about it on foxtel and Susie made the comment that he is going to start medicine next year. He should have to work like the rest of us to pay this debt off all while he does his degree.........

JMHO.

Frockme

I hope he smashes it! :)

cward
I'd love to know what career Simon Cowley had that was ruined?

While SC could have been described as pleasant looking before the event, he certainly wasn't male model material so how could his career, whatever it was, have been ruined?

Well the fact that he never swam again. At the time swimming was his career so obviously that was ruined. Who's to know how well (or not) we would have done at a swimming career. Not all swimmers want to be models as a pp said he is now suffering depression and can't work

MrsLexiK
Well the fact that he never swam again. At the time swimming was his career so obviously that was ruined. Who's to know how well (or not) we would have done at a swimming career. Not all swimmers want to be models as a pp said he is now suffering depression and can't work

Yeah, argh no. He had been retired from swimming for 4 years at the time of the incident. But your story is just so much more of a headline grab we will run with that.

cward
Yeah, argh no. He had been retired from swimming for 4 years at the time of the incident. But your story is just so much more of a headline grab we will run with that.
I stand corrected and there was no headline grab there I was just making a comment which obviously is not allowed so you can turn your sarcasm off

Fairey

Anyone read the ninemsn story today?

D'Arcy is being kicked off the team for posing with guns or something like that... (and he failed to make the finals of his event anyways).

Over and out the day he started.

mks81
Anyone read the ninemsn story today?

D'Arcy is being kicked off the team for posing with guns or something like that... (and he failed to make the finals of his event anyways).

Over and out the day he started.

This happened before the Olympics...whole reason he has to leave after finishing his events.

sparkle-tiffany

Personally, and I know this is stupid, but I hope he doesnt win. He isn't the type of person I want to see represent Australia and I dont feel he is deserving of the media attention and status that goes with being an Olympic medal winner.

I hope he fades into oblivion soon and we never have to hear or speak of him ever again.

**Xena**

I think what he did was very wrong, there is no excuse for what he did.

However I also believe he was punished for his crime. He missed out on Beijing and his bad behaviour has no doubt cost him any hope of sponsorship deals. I'm sure he'll still have to pay the fine too when he has money again.

I do think the gun photo thing was a complete beat up and way OTT. A very touristy thing to do in America and its not like the photos were in bad taste. I could understand it if they were pretending to shoot each other or themselves but just posing with them? Come on. If it wasn't Nick I doubt there'd be an issue.

BetteBoop
However I also believe he was punished for his crime. He missed out on Beijing and his bad behaviour has no doubt cost him any hope of sponsorship deals.

I disagree. Losing out on professional opportunities are a byproduct of his actions and not punishment in their own right.

If he embezzled money and got sacked from his job, it would be irrelevant to any subsequent criminal proceedings and the court wouldn't be lenient because of this.

In a monetary sense, he evaded paying for his crime. Until he does, some people might feel he wasn't punished for his crime in any reasonable way.

**Xena**
I disagree. Losing out on professional opportunities are a byproduct of his actions and not punishment in their own right.

I am merely saying that's extra punishment that has come out of this. His actual punishment as set by the courts and AOC has been dealt with. Yes he hasn't finished paid off his debt but he still has that debt.

I am pretty sure he still has to pay Simon. Aren't court fines/damages non-provable and therefore not covered under bankruptcy? Meaning they still have to be paid when the money can be paid by the person?

Look I don't like what he did at all, and I by no means idolise sports people and think they tend to get away with far more than they should. However he went through the courts, they set his punishment, the AOC set their punishment, and now he should be given the opportunity to redeem himself. If he has indeed given up drinking then that's at least a great first step.

Ruf~Feral~es

I don't care either way about his results. He got to the olympics, in spite of his recent history. I feel a level of "good on him", as I do with any athlete that actually gets there.

I feel sad for him that he is being sent home early though, all because of the gun photos. Libby Trickett and Eamon Sullivan have also been pictured with guns - here in Australia. The shooter, Lauren Mark, posed in a bikini on a magazine, with guns.

The guy has paid a price. Only time will tell whether he has learned from it. He was young and foolish, just as many of us have been, and many of our kids will be.

There, but for the Grace of someone, go all of us......

I'm jsut over all the talk about him. Let him fade into oblivion, I say.

Tyfle Hour

I wonder that if maybe he was more photogenic/charming/personable, the Aussie public may have more inclined to let him move on.

I do think he needs to work hard to pay his debt to Simon Cowley, but I can understand how a young person without any real career as yet could possibly pay that kind of debt and would end up bankrupt.

matt1972

Took a holiday after the completion of his event.

I hear that Tracey Grimshaw is fuming!

MrsLexiK
Took a holiday after the completion of his event.

I hear that Tracey Grimshaw is fuming!

I heard about this, I couldn't work out why he had to get permission from the AOC (I think that is the right body) to instead of get on the plane and go home after the event to leave England. I also don't get why if he choose to he was not allowed to stay on in England in a hotel?