Sentient Puddle

Will you be happy if Nick D'Arcy wins a medal?

Soontobegran
There was the unfortunate incident with Tim Peach though - so it doesn't really sound as if it was a one off.

Did you read about Tim Peach? It may pay to before you make assumptions about what happened here.

SarDonik
http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2007/s2531001.htm

You obviously missed the part about the bouncer man handling him ? Did he punch him?

Apparently it is inconsequential when people just mouth off but don't become physically aggressive, except if you are Nick D'Arcy.

Why? He didn't have any money...he owed more than he had or could earn, he had as much right to be declared bankrupt as anyone else.

I think he had a moral obligation to pay back his victim. Even if it was 5k a year. He owed 180k, which isn't a huge amount.

Sentient Puddle
Did you read about Tim Peach? It may pay to before you make assumptions about what happened here.

Sure did - it sounds like they both were to blame but boy did Peach come off worse! Also sounds like D'Arcy has an anger management problem and all those saying it is a once off need to reconsider!

BetteBoop
http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2007/s2531001.htm

You obviously missed the part about the bouncer man handling him ? Did he punch him?

Apparently it is inconsequential when people just mouth off but don't become physically aggressive, except if you are Nick D'Arcy.

No, I got the part where he was involved in an "altercation" with a bouncer. I'm missing the bit where he's trying to improve his behaviour.

Or are you suggesting D'arcy was (again) defending himself and we should be grateful he didn't smash the bouncer's face in too?

Soontobegran
Sure did - it sounds like they both were to blame but boy did Peach come off worse! Also sounds like D'Arcy has an anger management problem and all those saying it is a once off need to reconsider!

Nick has clearly admitted he 'had' a problem with binge drinking and the incidents occured when he had been drinking.......he does not drink now, perhaps this could be interpeted as trying to amend his behaviour.

TBH I don't know if it will ever be worth it, it seems that he will never be forgiven by the media or general population who don't know him.

Let's hope that if any EB parents find themselves with a child like Nick they'll be happy when no matter what they do to move forward from the incident it is shoved back in their face forever.

Sentient Puddle
TBH I don't know if it will ever be worth it, it seems that he will never be forgiven by the media or general population who don't know him.
Not up to me to forgive him - however if he paid back some of the money he owes to Cowley then that would be a great ;)

Soontobegran
No, I got the part where he was involved in an "altercation" with a bouncer. I'm missing the bit where he's trying to improve his behaviour.

Or are you suggesting D'arcy was (again) defending himself and we should be grateful he didn't smash the bouncer's face in too?

FGS--He didn't touch the bouncer in this 'altercation' the bouncer however manhandled him heavily according to witnesses and my guess is it was because he was Nick D'Arcy.

Soontobegran
Not up to me to forgive him - however if he paid back some of the money he owes to Cowley then that would be a great ;)

Maybe he will when he has grown up and has a career that pays money.

Sentient Puddle
Maybe he will when he has grown up and has a career that pays money.
I won't hold my breath though - leopard and spots, anger management issues, arrogance and all that.......

BetteBoop
FGS--He didn't touch the bouncer in this 'altercation' the bouncer however manhandled him heavily according to witnesses and my guess is it was because he was Nick D'Arcy.

So he's the victim of a third unprovoked attack?

SarDonik

Re the Tim Peach incident - Peach was clearly the aggressor and the instigator. I guess he just picked on the wrong guy.

casime
Not up to me to forgive him - however if he paid back some of the money he owes to Cowley then that would be a great

Seriously, IILB, you are waaaaay too invested in someone you don't even know.

Sentient Puddle
Seriously, IILB, you are waaaaay too invested in someone you don't even know.
I started a discussion - can't people have opinions on EB - or only opinions the masses agree with - and I am at home awaiting a delivery - can't a person engage in an online discussion or is that against the rules because STBG knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows the father of someone who knows the plumbers dog who once peed on the foot of Nick D'Arcy!

VigilantePaladin
nope the guy is a scum bag who showed no remorse for destroying another persons life and career.

He retired from swimming in 2004.

casime
I started a discussion - can't people have opinions on EB

We've all heard your opinion. The horse is dead, so stop flogging it.

RichardParker
As much as sports officials want us to believe, sport does not have an inherent moral dimension...

Someone needs to inform the AFL of this - they seem to have confused the 'sportsmen are role models and need to be good to set an example and to make the club look good' with 'the AFL is the foundation and origin of all morality'

MrsLexiK
nope the guy is a scum bag who showed no remorse for destroying another persons life and career. good for him if he does win one after his hard work but no I will not be happy for him.

plenty of young guys make mistakes but at least they apologise for it.

just wanting to know whose career he destroyed - other then possibly his own.

That's debatable. He declared himself bankrupt to avoid paying $180k awarded against him by a court.

IMO that's something wrong.

He couldn't pay the 180K back, nor the court costs, nor his parents legal bill because he was you know training 7 days a week and a full time uni student, and unlike other athlets no sponsership was going to touch him. He did try to give him $25K though - when Simon declined it then he had to declare bankruptcy.

Let's hope that if any EB parents find themselves with a child like Nick they'll be happy when no matter what they do to move forward from the incident it is shoved back in their face forever.

You would think that with 227,809 members there are bound to be some kids that do the wrong thing, however my bet is that none of those 227,809 little darlings are going to do anything wrong other then go to school, complete school, don't touch alochol, booze, or get into a car speeding car or smoke a joint or try hard drugs or buy some smokes. No no no not the children from EB.

he tried to pay some back.

This. I have had bouncers pick out friends at the local places I used to go to. (ie these kids were the star of the local footy team, or parents were $$) some (not all) bouncers are pathetic who like to throw their wieght around.

Sentient Puddle
You don't have to participate in the thread if you don't want to - so if it bores you to read - please don't. I don't usually start threads - but if I do I will participate regardless of the general "vibe" of response!

MrsLexiK
Someone needs to inform the AFL of this - they seem to have confused the 'sportsmen are role models and need to be good to set an example and to make the club look good' with 'the AFL is the foundation and origin of all morality'

But is that becuase the AFL puts that on them, or is it the media that is putting it on them. Then writing horrible stories when they don't live up to the standards set by us, so then the clubs have to step in and show they are trying to bring up responsible men who are all great and wonderful and full of good morals. It really just is a circle.

homewith1

Nick D'Arcy is a tool. He reminds me of Johnny, the bully from the Karate Kid movie of the 1980s.

What goes around comes around. One day, he'll be cheeky to the wrong person who will pound him senseless. It seems inevitable with his history. Can't see a day when people will forgive and forget either.

Do I hope he wins? Put it this way, I won't feel overcome with pride and joy as I would with the other athletes. Let's hope after this Olympics, he disappears and we never have to hear his name again.

got my tinsel on

I'd love to know what career Simon Cowley had that was ruined?

While SC could have been described as pleasant looking before the event, he certainly wasn't male model material so how could his career, whatever it was, have been ruined?

Edited by fancie

RichardParker
But is that becuase the AFL puts that on them, or is it the media that is putting it on them. Then writing horrible stories when they don't live up to the standards set by us, so then the clubs have to step in and show they are trying to bring up responsible men who are all great and wonderful and full of good morals. It really just is a circle.

I dunno, bit of everything I guess - it's the whole 'sportmen are Gods' culture that we have in Australia. I don't think it would be such a problem if, in order to play successfully, they didn't need to tap into their inner neanderthal. Or at least that's what I think is happening. Because neanderthals on the field have trouble being gentlemen off the field.

MrsLexiK
I dunno, bit of everything I guess - it's the whole 'sportmen are Gods' culture that we have in Australia. I don't think it would be such a problem if, in order to play successfully, they didn't need to tap into their inner neanderthal. Or at least that's what I think is happening. Because neanderthals on the field have trouble being gentlemen off the field.

I think they have that in America more so, look at the amount sponsership gets paid to some of those NFL and NBL players!

I am not sure that they do tap into there inner neanderthal, I know plenty of nice athelets (not just footy players) who are what you would call gentlemen and I don't think that is is fair we lump them into one group. When you have that many young men in the same occupation you are bound to get some who don't behave how society deems responsible. I bet though you could randomly select 800 men aged 17 - 30 and the % of those that did the wrong things would probably be the same.

matt1972

D'Arcy probably killed the horse as well :rolleyes:

BetteBoop
He couldn't pay the 180K back, nor the court costs, nor his parents legal bill because he was you know training 7 days a week and a full time uni student, and unlike other athlets no sponsership was going to touch him. He did try to give him $25K though - when Simon declined it then he had to declare bankruptcy.

You would think that with 227,809 members there are bound to be some kids that do the wrong thing, however my bet is that none of those 227,809 little darlings are going to do anything wrong other then go to school, complete school, don't touch alochol, booze, or get into a car speeding car or smoke a joint or try hard drugs or buy some smokes. No no no not the children from EB.

This. I have had bouncers pick out friends at the local places I used to go to. (ie these kids were the star of the local footy team, or parents were $$) some (not all) bouncers are pathetic who like to throw their wieght around.

So you know for a fact that's what happened here? I've known bouncers who were attacked without provocation so does my anecdata cancel out yours?

Poor Nick D'arcy is the victim of 3 random, unprovoked attacks and despite all evidence to the contrary and the findings of courts, he's done nothing wrong and EB is being mean!

But then your argument becomes muddled. Because he's done nothing wrong, so how does what he's done need to be compared to driving a car fast or smoking cigarettes? Either he's done something wrong or he hasn't.

And I don't see smashing someone's face in is as in any way similar to smoking cigarettes. It's truly surreal that anyone could suggest the two acts are comparable.

He's not a naughty boy who skipped school. He's a convicted violent felon.

That's something society does see as a big deal. Unless the felon is a famous athlete. Then he's just a naughty boy.