Sentient Puddle

Will you be happy if Nick D'Arcy wins a medal?

SarDonik
D'arcy at present is not a repeat offender. One mistake, one punch after 16 drinks, after someone has raised their hand to your face/head and that one punch used excessive force. (Which maybe if he only had 10 drinks wouldn't have been as hard of a punch) I don't think they need to condemed for life.

This.

I doubt very much it was his intention to do as much damage as he did. He was drunk, the other guy was drunk and was the initial aggressor. It was a mistake, a huge mistake. It's time everyone moved on.

Edited by SarDonik

Sentient Puddle
So the crux of the issue is that him not winning a medal will somehow make you feel better? How? Why?
Not at all - I want him to win and then sell it to pay for a compensation payment - I have been pretty clear about that!

MrsLexiK
Not at all - I want him to win and then sell it to pay for a compensation payment - I have been pretty clear about that!

So you think he will get more than $25K for the medal?

BetteBoop
No - but I did hear his interview after the gun photo - no change of tune or remorse for his actions - but maybe his public persona is so different to his real self - so I say lets see it!

And threatening the bouncer who evicted him from the pub by saying "one punch is all it will take" doesn't suggest much remorse either.

But perhaps these are just more 'mistakes'?

Sentient Puddle
So you think he will get more than $25K for the medal?
Don't know how much they go for,maybe because of the infamy of the owner - who knows? But would you be willing to accept $25 grand if you were owed over $300 grand? Or would you think that was letting someone off lightly?

DontKnow2015

You do realise the gold value of an actual gold medal would not be that great.

Not sure what value would be placed on someone else's gold medal in terms of a financial value.

In all honesty I think the initial offer of $25,000 would have been a better pick up on that point of view....

My father is owed many tens of thousands of dollars by Christopher Skase another high profile person who avoided some rather large debts. I am so thankful that initial bitterness has not consumed my father. I would dearly love to get what Pixie has/is/was living off and get my pensioner parents what is owed to them I can't because there is no practical mecahnism in the australian legal and financial system to do so....

Soontobegran

That 'gun photo'......what a beat up. It wasn't his picture, he was with a group of other people who all posed with the guns (stupid yes but quite lawful in America)

Funny how none of the other athlete's pictures weren't shown....but of course the media wouldn't have paid as much for them.

Sentient Puddle

It wasn't the photo STBG - it was his media response to the photo - maybe he just needs to get himself a good pr person and that is all the issue is :rolleyes:

Soontobegran
It wasn't the photo STBG - it was his media response to the photo - maybe he just needs to get himself a good pr person and that is all the issue is :rolleyes:

Maybe he does. It must be sh*t having the entire country hanging off every word you say and watching every move you make.

:rolleyes: Back at you.

MrsLexiK
Don't know how much they go for,maybe because of the infamy of the owner - who knows? But would you be willing to accept $25 grand if you were owed over $300 grand? Or would you think that was letting someone off lightly?

As I said in my previous post - yes I would. I wouldn't be waiting for the person's parents to step in and pay. I would take what I could get. That is price you pay when you go after someone who doesn't make much money at all - you will probably not end up getting paid what you may be deemed to receive.

Sentient Puddle
Maybe he does. It must be sh*t having the entire country hanging off every word you say and watching every move you make.

Back at you.

It must be sh*t! But wouldn't you be extra careful in how you present yourself - unless of course you really don't care :unsure:

Sentient Puddle
As I said in my previous post - yes I would. I wouldn't be waiting for the person's parents to step in and pay. I would take what I could get. That is price you pay when you go after someone who doesn't make much money at all - you will probably not end up getting paid what you may be deemed to receive.

Maybe - but maybe for Simon Cowley it wasn't just about the money - but who knows as now we are speculating wildly!

MerryMadrigalMadge

I do wonder why Simon pursued a civil claim... It was 3 years after the assault that he commenced proceedings, by which time Nicks career was well and truly in ruins, no sponsorship etc...

Surely he knew, or was advised, that if he did win, that he would have very little chance of seeing any proceeds, given Nicks financial state.

Anyway...
It must be sh*t! But wouldn't you be extra careful in how you present yourself - unless of course you really don't care :unsure:

What if he did, tbh I dont think anything he does would make people see him in a better light, this thread goes to prove that.

It's nice that people forgive him. I can't help but wonder what attitudes would be like if he wasn't an Olympian who might win 'us' gold.

If he wasn't an Olympian we wouldn't be discussing it, it's not up to us to forgive him either. He served his time which is all we can ask. In regards to the monetary payment that's between Simon and nick.

Anyway...
I do wonder why Simon pursued a civil claim... It was 3 years after the assault that he commenced proceedings, by which time Nicks career was well and truly in ruins, no sponsorship etc...

Surely he knew, or was advised, that if he did win, that he would have very little chance of seeing any proceeds, given Nicks financial state.

I wondered this to but I assume it had something to do with the initial court case?!

jessie123
I wonder if you asked the bloke whose face he smashed and career he ruined this question how he might answer.

Personally, I don't think 4 years ago is long enough that people have any reason to let it go. The guy is a violent thug who hasn't made any effort to make amends for his behaviour. He hasn't paid compensation to Simon Cowley who has incurred tens of thousands of dollars in surgery because he declared himself bankrupt.

But he's famous and he might win a medal so we should all just STFU and pretend he's a hero. Cognitive dissonance is unpleasant.

This :D

Of course I don't know the guy but he comes across as having no remorse and a history of bad choices. I am sure he could improve his image and do a lot of good if he wanted too.

BetteBoop
What if he did, tbh I dont think anything he does would make people see him in a better light, this thread goes to prove that.

If he wasn't an Olympian we wouldn't be discussing it, it's not up to us to forgive him either. He served his time which is all we can ask. In regards to the monetary payment that's between Simon and nick.

No, assault cases are a public matter so it's not just between him and Cowell. Plus, he's an Olympia and they have obligations around their public profile because they get public money.

We have every right to expect a certain standard of behaviour from sporting 'heroes'.

As for people not changing their opinions, perhaps if he did a single thing to make people change his opinions, they might? Instead, he has given the media ample opportunities to take him to task and for people to think he's a violent thug without conscience or remorse.

What this thread proves is that some people have no expectations from athletes, other than they win. If they might do that, then they're awesome.

Soontobegran

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/london-o...x-1226389425178

So he and other of his Olympic mates went to a shooting range to relax, just like thousands of other people do every day, the owner suggests they pose for a photo...someone takes a photo.

This photo is probably sold to the media for some exhorbitant amount and when they boys are made aware of the furore Nick apologises if he has upset or offended anyone but it was just meant to be a bit of fun.

Would you like a pound of his flesh too?

Tammy Swanson

nope the guy is a scum bag who showed no remorse for destroying another persons life and career. good for him if he does win one after his hard work but no I will not be happy for him.

plenty of young guys make mistakes but at least they apologise for it.

Soontobegran
No, assault cases are a public matter so it's not just between him and Cowell. Plus, he's an Olympia and they have obligations around their public profile because they get public money.

We have every right to expect a certain standard of behaviour from sporting 'heroes'.

As for people not changing their opinions, perhaps if he did a single thing to make people change his opinions, they might? Instead, he has given the media ample opportunities to take him to task and for people to think he's a violent thug without conscience or remorse.

What this thread proves is that some people have no expectations from athletes, other than they win. If they might do that, then they're awesome.

What this thread proves is that some people do not believe that anyone can make bad choices whilst growing up and be remorseful and work towards improving their behaviour.

He has done NOTHING wrong since the assault incident.

I don't care whether he is a sporting hero or not, to me he is a young man who was stupid in his youth and he deserves a second chance....just as you would want for yourself or your offspring.

BetteBoop
What this thread proves is that some people do not believe that anyone can make bad choices whilst growing up and be remorseful and work towards improving their behaviour.

So threatening the bouncer with "just one punch" 2 years after smashing in Cowell's face was just a "bad choice"?

I missed the part where he's shown remorse. How is he working towards improving his behaviour?

JAPNII

That's debatable. He declared himself bankrupt to avoid paying $180k awarded against him by a court.

IMO that's something wrong.

SarDonik

I do think he should have taken responsibility for money owing to Cowell. I don't think he should still be continually vilified for his punch. People are calling him a violent thug, not because he threw one punch, but because of the damage he did. Plenty of guys, normal, stable, law abiding people, have punched someone at some point in their lives. Whether it's in the playground, on the footy field, or in a pub. That does not necessarily make them a violent thug. Nick D'arcy threw one punch, he didn't jump up and down on the guys head or continually attack him. It was just very unfortunate for him that it was an effective punch.

Sentient Puddle
Plenty of guys, normal, stable, law abiding people, have punched someone at some point in their lives. Whether it's in the playground, on the footy field, or in a pub. That does not necessarily make them a violent thug. Nick D'arcy threw one punch, he didn't jump up and down on the guys head or continually attack him. It was just very unfortunate for him that it was an effective punch.
There was the unfortunate incident with Tim Peach though - so it doesn't really sound as if it was a one off.

Soontobegran
So threatening the bouncer with "just one punch" 2 years after smashing in Cowell's face was just a "bad choice"?

I missed the part where he's shown remorse. How is he working towards improving his behaviour?

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2007/s2531001.htm

You obviously missed the part about the bouncer man handling him ? Did he punch him?

Apparently it is inconsequential when people just mouth off but don't become physically aggressive, except if you are Nick D'Arcy.

That's debatable. He declared himself bankrupt to avoid paying $180k awarded against him by a court.

IMO that's something wrong.

Why? He didn't have any money...he owed more than he had or could earn, he had as much right to be declared bankrupt as anyone else.