Sign in to follow this  
BlondieUK

Women's Gymnastics

BlondieUK

I am watching Sub-division 3 (of 5) in the Women's Gym. If anyone can beat the USA team I will be very, very surprised.

(BTW - Lauren Mitchell very nearly fell off the beam in Sub division 1)

protart roflcoptor

I wish it were on FTA!

baddmammajamma

I am taping it right now because I am working. I am very excited for the U.S. Women's Team -- I hope that the pressure doesn't get to them. My mom & I were just discussing how the U.S. can't seem to build next generation tennis power, but damn, we have quite a thing going in women's gymnastics. They are tremendous athletes.

Would love to see Lauren Mitchell do well, too! :)

Edited by baddmammajamma

FeralAlpacaWarrior
I wish it were on FTA!

FTA showed a little bit earlier. I saw the Aussie girl nearly fall off the beam. Watching the synchronized diving now, must get to bed soon gah!

Azadel

I saw the U.S. selection trials so I'll be very interested to see them compete. None of their previous Olympians went through - I guess the higher age limits makes it less likely a gymnast can compete at two Olympics.

Jamelex

Oksana Chusovitina is competing in London and her first Olympics was in 92 (and no, that is not a typo) and she hasn't missed any in between!

Australia's Lisa Skinner competed in 96, 00, and 04, as did Russia's Svetlana Khorkina.

Romania's Catalina Ponor won three golds in 04, retired in 07, and came back last year to compete in London.

There are plenty of gymnasts whose careers have spanned greater than one quad :)

On to last night's results though, proud of our girls even though they had some uncharacteristic mistakes. The team finished in tenth, so no team finals. Emily Little and Ashleigh Brennan have scraped into the all around final, and Lauren Mitchell had made floor final. On the men's side, Joshua Jefferis has made the all around final, so there is some good news!

Azadel

The higher age limit makes it less likely though. Then you have athletes like Rebecca Bross who was at her peak in 08/09 but too young for the Olympics. She's now past her peak and fell repeatedly in qualifying (as did Nastia Liukin) - so she never got a chance to appear at the Olympics. Unfortunately gymnasts with long careers are the exception.

I loved watching Svetlana Khorkina compete, as an aside - such a beautiful gymnast on bars and such a show woman, very entertaining.

Jamelex

Bross has been plagued with injuries though, and is unfortunately for her competing at a time when the US has extreme depth of talent. They did four Yurchenko 2.5 on vault while we had two Yurchenko fulls and one Yurchenko double (pity Lauren has been injured or it would have been two). Anyway, I digress.

Nastia was also arguably in her prime in 04 and 05 and was too young to compete in Athens. However, she ended the 05-08 quad by winning Olympic AA gold after having her own injury issues.

I guess my point is that while longevity may still be the exception rather than the rule, it is becoming more common and surely provides hope to the next generation of gymnasts.

ETA - P.S. I'm enjoying this discussion with you!

Edited by Jamelex

Elizabethandfriend

I actually think the culture is changing. Back in the late 90s and even the Allana Slater/Trudy McIntosh type era that expectation was to peak at about 16, make one Olympics and then retire and complete school. Now its becoming more common to keep training whilst doing some tertiary study and look to at least a second Olympics. You can see the change in body shapes as the average age of competitors increases. I think its great.

I can be so frustrating being a fan of gymastics in Australia. It feels like we NEVER get lucky!! Wouldn't it be awesome if Lauren snatches the bronze in the floor final......

Will be interesting to see who retires after the Games and if any of the girls who attempted a late comback (Chloe Sims and Dasha Joura in particular) keep training.

baddmammajamma

How do you guys feel about countries being capped with only two contenders for the all around title?

Jordyn Wieber finished 4th in the qualifying rounds but doesn't get a spot -- even if I weren't American, I'm not sure I would be supportive of a rule that prevents the highest performing athletes from being recognized.

Just wondering how others feel.

If the 10 best gymnasts on the floor were from, say, Russia and China and Australia, that's who I would like to see in the individual all around.

pili-pala

That is a tough one, and gymnastics aren't the only sport. It's happening in cycling, I think the sprint is capped at one, whereas worlds aren't, so basically you will have medallists who wouldn't be on top 5 in the world.

I guess it attempts to stop dominance by one country, and the theory is by letting other countries compete in finals, you are actually aiding their development. But I am not sure.

12togo

BMJ - I've noticed that with a few of the sports, the rules state only so many from each country, sometimes only 1 per country. There is the situation in the Kayak slalom where ther are 22 competitors, but the world rankings range from Number 1 seed through to the Number 130 seeded kayaker(?sp). I don't see how they can say they won against the best available when they weren't allowed to compete in the first place.

PS - sorry for bringing another sport into the discussion.

baddmammajamma

Yeah, I agree it's a tough one. I can understand wanting to avoid the dominance of a single country or region, but still, it seems kind of strange that the reigning world champion and 4th best qualifier misses out on one of 10 spots. Having said that, I appreciate that that's the way the cookie crumbles -- and Gabby Douglas & Aly Raisman will be great reps of the U.S. in the finals.

my serenity

I'm pretty sure georgia Bonnora is retiring after Olympics but the rest will continue. Ashleigh actually gave up for a whole then came back . There is also younger ones ready to step up. Gymnastics is hard on the body I know one of the reserved for the team . I'm proud Of the aus teams efforts :)

baddmammajamma
BMJ - I've noticed that with a few of the sports, the rules state only so many from each country, sometimes only 1 per country. There is the situation in the Kayak slalom where ther are 22 competitors, but the world rankings range from Number 1 seed through to the Number 130 seeded kayaker(?sp). I don't see how they can say they won against the best available when they weren't allowed to compete in the first place.

PS - sorry for bringing another sport into the discussion.

Interesting. Does anyone know how long various caps have been in place and what the origins are? I am guessing that they were created in gymnastics to avoid "The Soviet Sweep" decades ago, but I don't know the history. It would be interesting to get a full run down of which sports cap the finalists & which don't.

Anyway...back to gymnastics... :)

Azadel

Mmm, mixed feelings about the two competitors from one country rule. It has its good and negative aspects. A (for example) four USA two Ukraine final would be divisive but on the other hand should we count nationality before pure skill?

Yep, I've noticed the culture in gymnastics changing as well...skills more suited to the slightly older, longer gymnast. We will never see another Nadia. But we may well see something different and even better.

BlondieUK

You are competing on behalf of your country, either as an individual or as a team.

You can only have one team or x people in many, many events. Equestrian, diving, gymnastics etc etc.

Does it apply in swimming?

nettik
I wish it were on FTA!

I think you should be able to see it on BBC Sport online...

Did anyone else see Jordan Jovtchev in the men's competition? :o

BlondieUK

Called it right. They were even better in the team final :)

baddmammajamma

Love my Aussies, but I am also still American. I am very, very proud of our women's team -- wow, did they deserve the gold! They were spectacular. McKayla Maroney's vault was absolutely flawless, and the three floor routines were so full of energy, great moves, and fantastic displays of athletic ability.

**Xena**

Wow the USA girls were brilliant! Very deserving of their gold.

Felt so sorry for the Russian girls :( Must be so hard on the poor buggers, all that emotional stress and being so young and not having contact with family and loved ones for the duration of the competition :(

Just wanted to reach through the TV and give them a hug!

baddmammajamma

GABBY DOUGLAS!

Holy smokes! That girl was on fire!

Congrats on a very, very, very well deserved gold medal!

BlondieUK

Yes Yes Yes!

It will be very interesting to see how her artistic style develops over the next four years. I hope she makes it to Rio.

I'm also betting that Jordyn Wieber will go at least to the next Worlds, as she will want to prove that she is still the best :)

Also big congrats to Little (15th) and Brennan (20th).

Swarley

What a nail biter!

Congrats Gabby. I'm such a baby... I was all teary! :-P

Sign in to follow this