Sign in to follow this  
BadCat

The medal thread

casime
It's a team event - what's the problem with having a team of swimmers to choose the best on the night? It's been done that way for ages.

It still just doesn't sit right for me for some reason. It would be like me running one of my dogs in the heats, then running another dog in the finals. I have no problem with them having "spares", but I think that the team should be picked at the start of the heats, then that team has to swim all the rounds to win.

Expelliarmus

They do it in athletics as well. It's pretty standard relay stuff.

If it's a team event then any one of the team can be in the event. It's not the same at all as an individual event where the person (or dog) is the one competing. The relays in both swimming and athletics are team events and are about the country not the person.

Theoretically they could put anyone from the Australian swim team (of the correct gender) in the relay. They don't usually chose that randomly however - if it's a 4x100m freestyle relay then they'll figure out who's good at swimming 100m freestyle and choose from them. The 400m athletics relay wouldn't likely be run by the marathon runners. But one of the tactics in relays is having fresh athletes who're rested.

Guest Dinah_Harris

Our rowers are looking pretty good. I'm looking forward to the finals of the rowing. Really really looking forward to seeing Usain Bolt run, too.

baddmammajamma

LOVE the Olympics (winter games, too!) I am having double the fun because I get to cheer for the Aussies and the Americans! ;) Actually, I love a good sports triumph regardless of who wins!

Edited by baddmammajamma

Sweet like a lemon

In swimming I hope Leizel Jones wins a medal. I also hope the Opals get a medal. But the people I'm cheering hardest for are Caster Semenya and Oscar Pistorius; both RSA runners.

HRH Countrymel
LOVE the Olympics (winter games, too!) I am having double the fun because I get to cheer for the Aussies and the Americans! ;) Actually, I love a good sports triumph regardless of who wins!

That would be the best part of watching international sporting events when I was a little girl! Mum would suddenly get very patriotic if 'her boys' were on top! But loudly cheer the 'plucky little Australians' too - as long as they were not too exuberant in their victory.

The biggest lesson I learned about sport at my mother's knee? - a bad loser is dreadful, but a bad winner is unforgivable!

Therese

I loved watching my girls faces when the swimmers won the gold. I am so sooky though and teared up when the national anthem was played :)

Soontobegran

Go Leisel.......am I allowed to say 'suck it you naysaying journos' ;)

BadCat

Hell yes, you're allowed to say that!

Go Leisel!

Expelliarmus

Fill me in, I was getting dinner - what did she do? What's she going to do next? The children are like "she won ..."

Won what?!?!?

JoJomummy

I am loving what I have seen so far :)

Also loving the fact that we have Foxtel so I can watch lots.

I was delighted to see the 4x100 win this morning. I got to meet Brit & Emily earlier this year. My DD is delighted as she now has a swim cap signed by gold medalists!!

Guess what she'll be taking for news tomorrow :)

knickerless
DH and I were laughing though, we were wondering where the UK shipped all their lovely sand from and it was really odd that the game was indoors and not in the blazing sun!

You seriously think that England doesn't have sand??

Loved seeing all the crowds supporting the cyclists. Enjoying the rowing too. I have Foxtel which although is great, means I tend to leave it on the one channel and end up missing iout on other events!!

theypullthestrings

I'm an expat here is Aus and sports fan so doubly loving this Olympics. It's kind of cool because our kids are supporting both the Brits and the Aussies and I have a French friend competing so we're covering so many bases lol! I'm not a huge swimming fan but well done to the relay girls it was a great final. Really looking forward to the athletics and also the track cycling and loved the BMX last time. Just hope Team GB wins a few medals on home soil!

theypullthestrings

Oh and the cycling last night went through our old town and showed the place we got married.

baddmammajamma

Why don't the organizers give tickets to the community to fill empty seats? This has bothered me at many major sporting events, not just the Olympics!

maxim

Can anyone tell me why James Magnussen went first in the 4x100m final? I thought tactically he would have been placed the last swimmer since he was the strongest? Really gutted for the boys. But well done to the French!! Wow.

PS. Yay for Leisel Jones (and the individual Aussie medal winners).

BadCat

Bummer about the relay. I don't knwo why Magnusson led off, maybe they were looking to gain the early advantage and hold it? They had Roberts doing the final leg so I guess they thought to get the advantage early, lose a little through the 2nd and 3rd leg and then pull away again with Roberts. Shame it fell in a big fat heap. :(

How good is Emily Seebohm looking though? And Leisel - making the final! Can she medal? I think so. I think she's fired up enough to do it.

Yay for our medallists today. Way to go Sprenger with silver and Coutts with bronze. Go Aussies!

jessie123
Why don't the organizers give tickets to the community to fill empty seats? This has bothered me at many major sporting events, not just the Olympics!

I heard on the radio this morning they are going to give some tickets to teachers and students I think it was - half asleep. Apparently the empty seats are lots of sponsor tickets.

casime

The seats have ticket holders, but they haven't shown up. I saw on the news this morning that there is to be an inquiry has to how to get those seats filled. A real shame that the sponsors are holding so many and not giving those they don't need away to the general public who would love to be at any event.

maxim

James Magnussen...

Oh no, no, no, beaten by one hundredths of a second. :( How devastating it must be. But congrats on the silver.

BadCat

So close! He's dealing with it much better today though. Silver is awesome. He should be proud.

baddmammajamma

Whew! What a nail biter! Congrats to James Magnussen on the silver & a spectacular race...and congrats to Nathan Adrian. Both great athletes!

Sign in to follow this