Sign in to follow this  
BadCat

The medal thread

BadCat

If you were doing the wrong thing and sleeping during the night you might not want to read this thread until you catch up with the action.

Let's talk about medals won and missed here.

BadCat

First medal is gold! How cool is that?

Women's 4x100 relay were awesome. Go the underdogs! And nice for Libby Tricket to pick up gold for her comeback as well.

Poor Steph Rice though. She looked so knackered and so upset.

Cadel Evans looked like he was about to keel over at the end of the road race. That chest infection must really be knocking him around. :(

Some promising results in the rowing as well. Lot's of good stuff on Day 1.

Milly Molly Mandy

I'm going to be seriously sleep deprived over the next couple of weeks.

Well done girls relay team. Worth waking for!

maxim

BadCat, you're seriously into the Olympics! Me too :D

Well done, girls for the 4x100m.

I wanted Michael Phelps to win his 17th medal - how incredible would that have been? You know, he's only got 16 medals :rolleyes: , and if he was a country, he would be no. 41 on the all-times medal list.

BadCat
BadCat, you're seriously into the Olympics! Me too :D

Yes. Sadly my brain won't let me get away with catching up with it in the morning. It decided I should get up a little after 3am to watch the swimming. :yawn: I've been an avid olympic watcher since I was a little kid.

Shame about Phelps but I think he has enough medals and should share like a nice boy. :tongue:

Missy Shelby

I missed the opening ceremony and only watched about 2 minutes of the bike race last night and then went to bed...thanks for bringing me up to speed BadCat!!

Edited by Missy Shelby

**Xena**

Not Australia but how about that Korean archer that took out a new World record. Awesome achievement and even moreso knowing he's legally blind in one eye!

BadCat

I missed that one Xena. Was it on Foxtel? I only have free to air so I'm at the mercy of the channel 9 coverage for the most part.

Just looked him up. Awesome effort. Shame he missed out on the gold in the end though.

PixieVee
First medal is gold! How cool is that?

Women's 4x100 relay were awesome. Go the underdogs! And nice for Libby Tricket to pick up gold for her comeback as well.

Poor Steph Rice though. She looked so knackered and so upset.

Cadel Evans looked like he was about to keel over at the end of the road race. That chest infection must really be knocking him around. :(

Some promising results in the rowing as well. Lot's of good stuff on Day 1.

I'm so happy for the women's team! I love an unexpected gold.

What did Libby Tricket get gold for?

Let-it-go

The relay, she swam in the semi final.

PixieVee
The relay, she swam in the semi final.

I didn't realise you got a medal if you swim in the semis. Why didn't she swim the finals? Does anyone know?

MummaDiva

I kind of overheard about the "legally blind archer" as I was going about my business - how does that work? I was having visions of a seeing-eye coach guiding him to the target - but it's only one eye? That makes more sense. Amazing, though, all the same.

I was watching the cycling road race, and the last couple of hundred metres just looks like torture. The most emotional moment of the Games for me so far (it's been one day, though) was seeing the NZ rider cross the line in 4th place and just hold his head in his hands, shaking, like "I have failed - I will go down in history as being just pipped out of an Olympic medal".

**Xena**
I missed that one Xena. Was it on Foxtel? I only have free to air so I'm at the mercy of the channel 9 coverage for the most part.

Just looked him up. Awesome effort. Shame he missed out on the gold in the end though.

I didn't watch it just read about it :) I also only have free-to-air so I feel your pain :D

Swelle

Isnt libby great? I loved watching her on that abc mini series road to london or whatever it was called! Just read she swam in the semis - didnt know she still gets a medal, thats quite cool.

Edited by meagum

jessie123
I didn't realise you got a medal if you swim in the semis. Why didn't she swim the finals? Does anyone know?

I think they just decide who swims the final on the day, there is usually a spare swimmer I think.

BadCat

Three of the girls who swam the heat were vying for one place in the final team. So we had three fresh swimmers for the final unlike the Netherlands who only had one who didn't swim in the morning. Libby wasn't chosen but they recognise that all those who swam in heats or finals played their part in the medal. So while the heat swimmers don't get to be at the presentation, they do get a medal.

casime

I think that's so odd. The team should be decided before the start of any racing, and that team should have to compete right through. So strange.

Expelliarmus

It's a team event - what's the problem with having a team of swimmers to choose the best on the night? It's been done that way for ages.

Loving the Olympics! I think I turned my kids into Olympic fanatics, I heard them up at about 5am today to watch them! LOL

VigilantePaladin

There was a swimmer from the Dutch team who looked so sour and resentful during the medal presentation. She really stood out too.

Soontobegran

There were 7 people for the team and that is how it is for all the big teams. You put in a team that you know for sure will help you qualify and then the team with the best times for the final. The entire team medal as they have all paid a part in getting there.

There was a swimmer from the Dutch team who looked so sour and resentful during the medal presentation. She really stood out too.

Yes she was. :huh: They are world champions and fully expected to win. They also didn't have the depth as they only had one resting for the final.

I understand the disappointment but seriously a silver for your country isn't a bad thing so I wish she'd enjoyed the presentation more.

Soontobegran

I know it's not a medal but anyone watch the Basketball between the Opals and GB?

It was funny, a few of the GB team have played in the WNBL here in Australia and their coach is Tom Maher who used to be a Boomer and a coach here.

Opals won BTW.

Zarlias

I am in couch potato heaven!

PixieVee

Thanks for the info re. the relay team, I really had no idea that was how it worked.

I'm just watching the repeat of it now. How exciting!

Expelliarmus

I thought he was an expat works here for the nine network?

Looked him up. He's the Nine Network's cricket commentary anchort, anchored the 2006 Commonwealth Games and definitely works as part of the Nine Sports Commentary team.

Edited by howdo

Faradaye

Another Olympic tragic here. My 8 year old DD got in trouble last night, her punishment is she has to sit on the couch with me and watch the Olympics and listen to all the crap I am spouting.

She is hating it! We are lucky enough to have Foxtel, so I have been trying to get her interested by watching gymnastics and equestrian.

She is slightly interested in the gymnastics, but I am finding it hard because of the dreadful commentary by Liz Chekov. They wheel her out every Olympics, and I'm sure she gets worse each year.

This year a man completed his vault and did a little step on his landing. Liz's comment? "Too bad for him." I thought it was a bit harsh.

Sign in to follow this