BadCat

opening ceremony

maxim

^ that's what I thought (Muhamed Ali, that is). But apparently, it's a cause for Parkinson's disease. Well, we'll find out soon.

Or rather, those who are watching, I have to do my duty - fetching and ferrying the kids to/from their sports!

Enjoy everyone!

Edited by maxim

.Jerry.

I missed the start but will watch it later.

There is excellent use of lighting in the show though.

I'll go against the grain and say the Mr Bean part was totally out of place and cringe worthy.

I enjoyed the music section but it so missed George Michael. ;)

BadCat

Oh cool, time for the athletes.

Time to cringe at some of the outfits and tear up at some of the stories. First time every particpating country has had women on the team. :thumbs:

watergirl
Yes I thought so too (about the NHS and the dancing kids).

I'm finding this much like all opening ceremonies really. I don't like opening ceremonies but I always watch the damn things in case something really cool happens. And then I always come away thinking the best part was the athletes arriving and the lighting of the cauldron and they should have saved their money on the rest of it. :lol:.

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes it feels amatuerish (which I realise is a strange thing to say about one of the most expensive and watched events in the world).

Does anyne know who the people were in all those photos that popped up about 10 minutes ago (before the female singer)? I missed what the announcer said.

BadCat

Wonder if the US will dip their flag. Probably not. They never do.

Shanski

Yay channel 9 have just handed commentating over to Andrew Gaze. I love him, he is such a funny man and mostly says what he feels.

greengoddess

I hate it. Mary Poppins saves the kids from monsters of the NHS? Well, it's as fantastical as the Tories reneging on their plan to slowly dismantle it.

The whole thing is just disconnected and dull. Can't wait to see the US coverage to see what they make of it.

My bet's on Steve Redgrave to light the cauldron.

lovemybabies86

is it just me that couldnt find the opening ceremony on foxtel i looked at all the 8 channels they have for it and couldnt find it was looking forward to watching it too cause we dont get free to air tv

BadCat
Does anyne know who the people were in all those photos that popped up about 10 minutes ago (before the female singer)? I missed what the announcer said.

I think that was a tribute to some of their well known athletes that have passed away. Not sure, I only kind of heard it.

sunshine_days

what do you think of ythe Aussies uniform?

hate it. Mary Poppins saves the kids from monsters of the NHS? Well, it's as fantastical as the Tories reneging on their plan to slowly dismantle it.
My daughter just chose to get up at that time and she is only 5 and l was thinking it was a lil scarey with all those dark monsters...

_Alana_

I bought it as an extra on foxtel and I couldn't find it this morning and had to flick to free to air, sorta annoyed me.

Anyone else think its a be rude to be on their phones talking while standing there ? I guess they are there a while though

BadCat

Lot of female flag bearers this year.

kpingitquiet

Hmm... We think the Aussie uniforms make them look like flight attendants or cruise staff or something.

Edited by kpingitquiet

BlondieUK

I think the NHS bit was all Danny Boyle.

I loved the opening - felt much more intimate than Beijing. The whole thing has a more friendly feel (monsters aside).

The NHS/GOSH was really tied in to children's literature through Peter Pan - pity they didn't actually have a Peter Pan.

BTW - the LSO mimed. Probably the best paid orchestral mime ever :)

Fire_fly

I don't mind the uniform. The jackets are a bit private school kid to me. But I like the white pants and skirts. I was thinking they would be sand color which I don't really like.

There are quite a few good uniforms this year In my opinion

chat

I loved it!

daisydo

Were the Czech team expecting rain? They certainly came prepared with gumboots and an umbrella.

Edited: autocorrect can be a pain sometimes!

Edited by daisydo

namie
Hmm... We think the Aussie uniforms make them look like flight attendants or cruise staff or something.

I agree. I wasn't sure about the white when they revealed the uniforms a few months ago (or whenever it was) and I'm still not sure.

I know it rains a lot in the UK but I did think it was odd for the Brits to be wearing gumboots and carrying an umbrella to the ceremony of the Summer olympics, lol! Oops, wasn't paying close enough attention, I just saw blue, white and a splash of red and assumed it was the Brits.

A bit rude of the Czech's to assume it would rain, lol!

Edited by namie

BadCat
I know it rains a lot in the UK but I did think it was odd for the Brits to be wearing gumboots and carrying an umbrella to the ceremony of the Summer olympics, lol!

That wasn't the Brits. The host country always come in last.

Edited because you edited, but then it makes no sense so I won't edit after all. :lol:

Edited by BadCat

BlondieUK

Our uniforms are a throwback to the Olympic uniforms of the 60s/70s. I have a relative who went to three Olympics, and one of his jackets looks like that.

Edited by BlondieUK

BlondieUK
A bit rude of the Czech's to assume it would rain, lol!

Not at all - it's been the wettest April, June and July since the 1700s..........

Mrs Dinosaurus

I've been up too - I loved a lot about the opening ceremony but was hoping for a few more cultural icons; high tea, an homage to the weather, sheep, hedge rows, dover...all the things that spring to my (outsiders with an insiders perspective) mind. Ok, maybe not sheep :)

Can't wait to see the end and answer the big question of who?!

daisydo
Not at all - it's been the wettest April, June and July since the 1700s..........

Well, hopefully it can now stay away for the games.

Shanski

How awesome did Mr Fiji flag bearer look? So glistening and strong.

I love the Aussie uniform. It looks great when they azre all standing together and so smart to wear flat shoes.

The Czech gumboots and umbrellas was a bit funny but I loved the colours and would really like some for myself.

Soontobegran

They were photos of relatives of people in the audience who had died. They were asked to send them in if they wanted them to be part of the tribute.