Trein

Who do you think will be Olympic flag bearer?

Trein

DH and I were just discussing who we thought may be the Olympic flag bearer. What are your thoughts?

DH jokingly said "Leisel Jones - they will get her to carry the flag around the stadium in a last minute attempt to shift some weight" :ph34r:

Edited by Trein

BadCat

I think Leisel would be a deserving flag bearer and would love to see her do it. If anything, they're more likely to give it to her to show their support against the a*s*hole media comments about her weight.

MrsLexiK

The Olympic committee don't like being told what to do, the volleyballer said they must choose a woman, I can see them going against her just for the sake of it. I really dont know but can't wait to find out

Ruf~Feral~es

I"m sure your DH was joking, but I think he should read the thread here about Liesel Jones, and then really think about whether it really is funny. :(

As to your question, as much as I agree with the volleyball player who thinks it should be a woman, I'd also love to see Andrew Hoy carry it - 7 Olympics is pretty impressive.

Otherwise, Anna Mears or Stuart O'Grady.

But I think Leisel deserves it, in part to apologise for the crap media reporting and the Australians who think it is OK to comment/joke about.

Soontobegran
DH and I were just discussing who we thought may be the Olympic flag bearer. What are your thoughts?

DH jokingly said "Leisel Jones - they will get her to carry the flag around the stadium in a last minute attempt to shift some weight" :ph34r:

I'd love to see Leisel carry the flag, she deserves it and not to help shift some weight :unsure:

I hope your DH was joking, it has made me sick to read what has been said about her in the media and then from some of the general public.

bearosauraus

Anna Meares.

She is an amazing woman and athlete,and after what she went through before Beijing it is amazing she is even back on the bike again let alone competing there and again in London.

Expelliarmus

Part of me wants it to be Leisel Jones to stick it to the media.

Part of me wants it to be Andrew Hoy - 7 Olympics - awesome!

Part of me wants it to be Natalie Cook because she's all Beach Volleybally speshul ...

But Stuart or Anna would be good choices too.

can't wait to see who it is :D

BadCat

My money is on Anna or Leisel. Although I agree Andrew Hoy would be an excellent choice also.

Mrs Darcy

I've heard Nick Green has already stated that it will be a female. But that was the only hint he gave.

What about Lauren Jackson?

I would love to see Leisel Jones carry it and give a sly bird to the camera. :p

kshy

Lauren Jackson has been announced as flag bearer

Was hoping it would be Leisal Jones but she has her first swim the next morning so was probably never going to happen

Sentient Puddle
DH jokingly said "Leisel Jones - they will get her to carry the flag around the stadium in a last minute attempt to shift some weight
Is he always such an asshat or was this just a once off?

minidiamond

Fantastic choice with Lauren Jackson.

4th Olympic Games, won silver, leads that team from the front - and always gives 100% in the green & gold.

Therese

I think Lauren Jackson is a great choice as well :)

BadCat

Great choice.

Mrs Darcy
I've heard Nick Green has already stated that it will be a female. But that was the only hint he gave.

What about Lauren Jackson?

I called it!

Yay for her…love a humble sports person.

Soontobegran

Excellent, a well deserved honour.

bearosauraus

Agree she is a great choice! :)

MrsLexiK

Yay!!! I do think that is wonderful, not only is she great at the olympics but her achievements in basketball in general are amazing.

HRH Countrymel

Yay! Yay for Lauren Jackson!

Plus she is nice and tall and strong - I do worry about them lugging that heavy thing around all night!

I loved it when Andrew Gaze was picking it up and waving it around - mountain of humanity that he is!

Trein
Is he always such an asshat or was this just a once off?

Whoa, he is definately not an asshat. Yes, his joke may be seen as being in poor taste but he was trying to make light of all the ridiculous media hype surrounding her.

All the althletes pp have mentioned would have been well deserving of the honour to carry the flag. Congratulations to Lauren Jackson! She is a wonderful choice due to her sporting achievements and sportsmanship. As a pp mentioned, she is very humble and seemed geniunely shocked by the honour.

~JASB~

This is pretty neat ...

Lauren's parents onboard a Qantas flight, found out via the captain's announcement :)

I think she's a fantastic choice, too :)