BadCat

I hope Leisel Jones...

Guest ~ Pearl ~

I reckon, where do they get off comparing what she looked like 12 years ago to what she looks like now??

No one looks like they did at 17!!

Sweet like a lemon
...wins a big fat swag of medals and come home and jams them right up the critics... noses.

The critics being the media and not the general populace. I haven't seen such a backlash to printed tripe in a long time. Made me realise that how Australians feel is not necessarily what Australian media think they should feel. Made me proud.

Edited by ForsakenTruth

kpingitquiet
I reckon, where do they get off comparing what she looked like 12 years ago to what she looks like now??

No one looks like they did at 17!!

Much less 14 years old, which is what she was when selected for her first Olympics.

This is her in Beijing, 4 years ago, where she won 2 gold medals. Waif =/= good swimmer. http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/473636-3x2-940x627.jpg

Oriental lily

They are not allowed to wear those condom like super speed suits anymore that used to cover the majority of their bodies.wearing a pair of normal swimmers is going to show the little bit of flabbiness that they do have.

And they are athletes,no bikini wear models.

MiSS_E

What's with that reporter saying she's clearly 'not the same girl' she was in 2000? So if one gets larger they aren't the same person?

jojonbeanie

Yesterday on ABC radio Rafael Epstein made himself sound very silly when he launched into a discussion about how it could be possible for her to be in the early stages of pregnancy and still maintain her training regime but the change in hormone would mean she wouldn't be able to strip her excess body fat as she would normally do before a big meet blah, blah, blah. I just wanted to reach into the radio and slap him.

Squeekums The Elf

Shes fat? Riiiiight lol.

All i saw was someone who was wearing a one piece, which flatter no one and she got snapped in positions that would make anyone in a one piece look like they are bigger than they are even if they were stick thin model.

Because she dosent look like stephanie rice the media going to

pick her apart sadly.

BlondieUK
Oh I so agree.

The horrors of a woman's body looking like a woman's body! Of course she doesnt look like she did at 16.

Go Liesel. Thank goodness we still choose our team based on their swim times not their sex appeal.

Bravo.

There were NO media articles or interviews or documentaries about this being her FOURTH olympics, something no one has done before. NONE.

Its a sad sad world that her only media attention after training for 20 yrs, winning 8 gold medals, being one of the most elite athletes in the country, is that she has a tummy.

It is an amazing achievement. Many Australians have attended three - but four is something very special - especially in a sport where injuries are common.

There are times when I am ashamed to work in the media industry and yesterday was one of them.

Good for you. I hope you have passed your feelings up the chain, and referred them to this link.

If a swimmer gained 5 or 10kg between qualification time and competition time then you don't REALLY think a trainer or even the athlete themselves would turn up to compete?

Your hypotheticals simply don't make sense so I don't no why your repeating them.

It's not the case so why are you bothering?

It's a team - they have people ready to jump into any given slot (or at last I think this is how it works).........so if her fitness or readiness to compete was in question, she would get pulled. The Australian swim team and their coaches are too proud to let someone sit there and tread water just because it's their fourth Olympics.

You only have to look at the media beat up between Anna Meares and Victoria Pendleton to know that women are held to a different standard than men when it comes to athleticism and body image.