BadCat

I hope Leisel Jones...

Guest Telmatiaeos

I don't watch much commercial TV. What have they been saying about her?

BadCat
I don't watch much commercial TV. What have they been saying about her?

Quite simply, they are saying she's fat and she's pretty much just there or a holiday.

Edited by BadCat

follies
She has had such a battle with her mental health over the years, I do hope she has achieved a level of self confidence that will enable these comments to be 'water off a duck's back' :(

Also, if she has mental health issues she may be on medication that causes weight gain, like Lithium for example. There is always more sides to the story.

Oriental lily

Most swimmers tend to concentrate on the shorter distances as they age. It becomes about power, not endurance and if you look at any sport from track to swimming 'power' sports will have athletes with extra flesh on them. Think of sprinters in athletes, it's all about muscle. Or shot put or hammer throw. Even most weightlifters would be considered overweight by most definitions.

So to me she does have a sprinters swimmer body. She is larger than some of the girls but that would no way impact her performance in a sprinting race.

Even sprinting racehorses are much heavier and brawnier than endurance ones.

Hopefully she can shrug of ths publicity as a bunch of ignorants gits.

The media can be so repulsive.

Ruf~Feral~es
Didn't know there were fat swimmers on the swim team...?

and I googled, I was thinking about Libby Tricket with the mouth.

Right - so commenting on a swimmers weight isn't OK, but describing them by the shape of their mouth is?

I do understand why people have brought her weight up though. It is not often you see an Olympic athlete that has flesh on them, they are normally all sinewy and defined. In her profession, her body is her tool, so discussing how it appears is actually quite valid.

We usually now see them in a lycra, neck to knee suit. even I look better in one of them than in normal bathers.

I don't think it is in any way acceptable to talk about one of OUR representatives in that way. She has proven she has what it takes to get there. Why do we need this discussion about anyone, in the week before they compete? With that sort of support from your own country, it would be tempting to go swim for someone else.

I do think it is because the media are sexist and fattist. It is refreshing that there has been a backlash against it too, but still shows there are a fair few people out there that agree as well.

Women: Your job is to please people with your appearance, that is all.

Isn't that still the sad truth. And not just please men. The whole community. :(

Blueberry3
:clap:

**Xena**
Agree.

Also does anyone look flatering when hunched over?

And that's the other thing. Here's me in 2 different photos from the same day (far right in both) an unflattering angle can make all the difference. I am a size 6-8 Australian but the second photo makes me look like I quickly gained 20kg just by the angle:

528793_10150627613878660_1680857254_n.jpg

375646_10150627614073660_1945357330_n.jpg

Edited by **Xena**

jojonbeanie
is she the one with the freaky wide mouth? :unsure:

You know you look like a bit of a d*ck when you come into a conversation criticising inappropriate comments about an athlete's appearance and all you can do is refer disparagingly to another part of their body.

Go Leisel!

F.E.B.E

There are times when I am ashamed to work in the media industry and yesterday was one of them.

Pooks_

I'm amazed by what that woman's body can DO.

JingleJangle

I love how in the articles they keep saying that the photos suggest she is not in great shape. Ahh... no, dodgy journo, that would be YOU suggesting it.

SarDonik

I haven't seen her so can't comment, but as an ex swimmer you do get a lot of 'chunky' female swimmers who might look overweight, but it tends to be muscle bulk rather than fat. That said if an international athlete was out of shape I don't see a problem with the media bringing it up, they have done for years, boxers, soccer players, football players etc have all been derided in the past for being overweight. Ronaldo turned up at a World Cup looking like he'd been feasting on Crispy Cremes for a month instead of preparing for a competition as an international, professional athlete representing his country. Damn right he should be derided.

SnazzyFeral
I haven't seen her so can't comment, but as an ex swimmer you do get a lot of 'chunky' female swimmers who might look overweight, but it tends to be muscle bulk rather than fat. That said if an international athlete was out of shape I don't see a problem with the media bringing it up, they have done for years, boxers, soccer players, football players etc have all been derided in the past for being overweight. Ronaldo turned up at a World Cup looking like he'd been feasting on Crispy Cremes for a month instead of preparing for a competition as an international, professional athlete representing his country. Damn right he should be derided.

The point is that she has a BMI of 22 and has put on 1 kilo in four years.

Edited by SnazzySass

SarDonik
The point is that she has a BMI of 22 and has put on 1 kilo in four years.

Yeah she's probably been training 4 hours a day for months, so I doubt she has too much excess fat. But if she did and was badly out of shape then I would defend the media for criticisng her.

Edited by SarDonik

Oriental lily

Perhaps if the media was actually qualified to criticize and she had swam and was way below her qualification times I might agree.

But that's not the case.

Ruf~Feral~es
Yeah she's probably been training 4 hours a day for months, so I doubt she has too much excess fat. But if she did and was badly out of shape then I would defend the media for criticisng her.

Why? She is there to do a job. Swim as well as she can. Win a medal if she can. If she is in good enough shape to qualify, then what is to criticise?

Is it the sport she chose? Is it OK to criticise a Shot-putter because of their size, or a shooter, where physical fitness isn't as much of an issue? Or is it just because she doesn't look the way you think a swimmer should?

Why do we need to criticise someone for how they look? For her performance, maybe. But she hasn't even had the chance to perform yet. (If we ignore the fact that she performed well enough to actually get there!)

SarDonik
Why? She is there to do a job. Swim as well as she can. Win a medal if she can. If she is in good enough shape to qualify, then what is to criticise?

Is it the sport she chose? Is it OK to criticise a Shot-putter because of their size, or a shooter, where physical fitness isn't as much of an issue? Or is it just because she doesn't look the way you think a swimmer should?

Why do we need to criticise someone for how they look? For her performance, maybe. But she hasn't even had the chance to perform yet. (If we ignore the fact that she performed well enough to actually get there!)

Yeah you're not really getting it. A professional athlete is paid to train, to stay in shape, to be fit. That is there job. There is no speculation when a high profile soccer player rocks up to an World Cup with a beer belly. He has not been training, he is not in shape and he is not doing his job. The shot putter analogy is ridiculous, there is no aerobic aspect of shot putting, they don't need to be fit. If they are overweight is has no bearing on their potential performance. A runner, or a swimmer or a cyclist, is completely difference. A weight gain of 5, 10 kgs would have a dramatic effect on their performance. The media often use an athletes appearance as a gauge to how fit they are and potentially how well they may do. It's a crude method of assessing someones fitness I guess, but that is why we have sports commentary, we want to hear them speculate.

Edited by SarDonik

StarandMoon
A weight gain of 5, 10 kgs would have a dramatic effect on their performance.

How about we see what her performance is like first?

I reckon she'll blow them all out of the water, and I hope she does!

Oriental lily

If a swimmer gained 5 or 10kg between qualification time and competition time then you don't REALLY think a trainer or even the athlete themselves would turn up to compete?

Your hypotheticals simply don't make sense so I don't no why your repeating them.

It's not the case so why are you bothering?

Guest Dinah_Harris

I don't think that's the media's job. It's up to her coach, her fitness conditioner, her nutritionist, her physio and the myriad of other qualified professionals to tell her if she's not training well or being lazy. Given her performance in the pool over a great many years, I hardly think she could be called fat or lazy. That's the media trying to drum up a ridiculous story, because they got one unflattering photo of her?

Give me a break. That's one of the reasons I have lost so much respect for journalism as a whole.

SarDonik
I don't think that's the media's job. It's up to her coach, her fitness conditioner, her nutritionist, her physio and the myriad of other qualified professionals to tell her if she's not training well or being lazy. Given her performance in the pool over a great many years, I hardly think she could be called fat or lazy. That's the media trying to drum up a ridiculous story, because they got one unflattering photo of her?

Give me a break. That's one of the reasons I have lost so much respect for journalism as a whole.

I'm not referring to LJ, but to athletes in general. LJ did pretty well in qualifying for the games, 2nd in both 100 & 200 so is obviously in shape. I'm not suggesting, like the media are, that she hasn't been training and is just there for a knees up. What I am saying, is that if an athlete turned up to an international sports event, obviously out of shape (which has happened on many occasions) then the media has every right to mention it.

Given her performance in the pool over a great many years, I hardly think she could be called fat or lazy

Yeah that's pretty disgusting of them.

Edited by SarDonik

CherrySunday
You know you look like a bit of a d*ck when you come into a conversation criticising inappropriate comments about an athlete's appearance and all you can do is refer disparagingly to another part of their body.

:shrug: eh. Her mouth has nothing to do with how she swims.

I was thinking of the wrong person anyway.

Edited by *Browncoat*

Guest Dinah_Harris
I'm not referring to LJ, but to athletes in general. LJ did pretty well in qualifying for the games, 2nd in both 100 & 200 so is obviously in shape. I'm not suggesting, like the media are, that she hasn't been training and is just there for a knees up. What I am saying, is that if an athlete turned up to an international sports event, obviously out of shape (which has happened on many occasions) then the media has every right to mention it.

I do know what you're saying. I just think the media often handles it in a cruel way, rather than being mature and objective about it.

I remember that Mark Taylor, the Australian cricket captain, often used to get taunted in the media for being overweight. Even though on the whole his performance as a cricketer was hard to argue with. In that instance, his paunch had very little to do with his cricketing performance, so why bring it up? The answer: to create a story, never mind if it hurts Mark Taylor or his family.

Couldn't a media story about Ronaldo for example, say "Ronaldo seemed lethargic and unable to keep up after the first half and missed several goal-scoring opportunities" rather than saying "Ronaldo is OBESE!"

I wish we could make it about their job performance rather than their appearance, if you know what I mean?

:D Anyway, rant over.

jojonbeanie
eh. Her mouth has nothing to do with how she swims. I was thinking of the wrong person anyway.

The point is that when you were trying to clarify which person was being discussed the only thing you could come up with was a negative comment about a body part. Why should anyone have to be described as you did by their "freaky" appearance or body part?