BadCat

I hope Leisel Jones...

greengoddess

I'm going against the grain here - I can't stand her! My swimming hero is Dara Torres who just narrowly missed out on attending her 6th Olympics (her first was in 1984!)

But I agree that the articles about her appearance are just beyond the pale. Then again, it's very typical for female athletes to prove their "value" via their appearance rather than their athleticism. It seems as a society we can only cope with female physicality if it comes wrapped in a heterosexually attractive package - so many feel compelled to undergo "make-overs" or strip off in calendars to either a) "raise awareness" of their sport or b) "prove that we can be feminine too". It's a sorry, sorry fact that horses and dogs receive more media coverage than female athletes.

Chelli
:yes:

Pretz

I also hope that she wins some medals. That would shut them up.

What kind of message does this send to young women?

How awful must Liesel Jones feel reading that vitriol.

It is bullying at its worst.

The media coverage shows them for the mysogynists that they are.

CallMeFeral

Just goes to show that although the anti fattists PRETEND their judgementalism is about health - it is anything but - she's a FOUR TIME OLYMPIC ATHLETE - she must be in at least the top 0.1% of fitness in this country!

EFS

Edited by CallMeAl

ellebelle

I remember the shy, stressed girl she was when she started. She has come so far and it will be fantastic if she wins medals but I hope she does have her fun too.

Future-self
Its a sad sad world that her only media attention after training for 20 yrs, winning 8 gold medals, being one of the most elite athletes in the country, is that she has a tummy.

**** YOU Australian media.

Exactly :angry: I really hope that she went on Media Blackout and isn't really aware of how much press she's generating.

BadCat
Just goes to show that although the anti fattists PRETEND their judgementalism is about health - it is anything bit - she's a FOUR TIME OLYMPIC ATHLETE - she must be in at least the top 0.1% of fitness in this country!

Yep.

And just to clarify, I don't mind whether she wins medals or not. I think she's been an awesome seminner over the years and good on her. But if she doesn't win anything the media can play "I told you so" and I would really rather see her stick it to them via her swimming.

MrsLexiK
There were NO media articles or interviews or documentaries about this being her FOURTH olympics, something no one has done before. NONE.

Its a sad sad world that her only media attention after training for 20 yrs, winning 8 gold medals, being one of the most elite athletes in the country, is that she has a tummy.

That is incorrect there was a massive doco thing on her (perhaps the ABC???) about her lead up, her training, the trials etc. In it she also spoke about her weight and how unfit (for an olympian swimmer) she was when she started training again and what she had to go through to get her fitness back up.

I do hope she comes back with medals for the 2 events she is in, she has worked damn hard to get there.

Fifteenyears

The only good thing about yesterday's SMH article on the topic was the massive chorus of condemnation in the comment section.

I felt a little bit sick reading it - even when you're a world champion over and over again, and performing long term at an elete level, apparently the most important thing to some stupid ****ers (who unfortunately get to publish their opinion in mainstream media) is your appearance.

Soontobegran

I have a friend who has a son is in the Olympic Squad, I know what level of fitness they must prove every day of the week to even be considered for the squad. She says the photos are not indicitive of what she actually looks like and that by anyone's standards she is still very slim.

She has had such a battle with her mental health over the years, I do hope she has achieved a level of self confidence that will enable these comments to be 'water off a duck's back' :(

HRH Countrymel
Just goes to show that although the anti fattists PRETEND their judgementalism is about health - it is anything but - she's a FOUR TIME OLYMPIC ATHLETE - she must be in at least the top 0.1% of fitness in this country!

Damn once again I was searching for the like button!

Who is allowed to comment on Leisel and her fitness?

Why I guess that would be all those other swimmers who qualified for 4 Olympic games? ??

Not a bunch of booze sozzled misogynistic journos who want all their female athletes to be posing in bikinis with a come hither gaze...

somila
That is incorrect there was a massive doco thing on her (perhaps the ABC???) about her lead up, her training, the trials etc. In it she also spoke about her weight and how unfit (for an olympian swimmer) she was when she started training again and what she had to go through to get her fitness back up.

I do hope she comes back with medals for the 2 events she is in, she has worked damn hard to get there.

I think you are confusing her with Libby Trickett.

Anyhow a big "You go girls!" to them both from me.

Juju38

I wish I looked half as good as her in swimmers!

Go Leisel!!

ComradeBob

It's a doozy, isn't it :rolleyes: Way to go media, lets have all our young girls see that EVEN IF YOU'RE ONE OF THE BEST SWIMMERS IN AUSTRALIA, HAVE WON MEDALS, ARE GOING YOUR FOURTH OLYMPICS WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE IS STILL CONSIDERED BY SOME TO BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHAT YOU ACHIEVE!!!!!!! :rant:

*coff*

sorry about the rant there :D

I hope Liesel wins ALL the medals :D

PrincessPeach

Agree.

Also does anyone look flatering when hunched over?

HeartMyBoys

Why is it that Kyle Sanderlands gets slammed for telling a contestant they look fat in a certain outfit, yet the media can be so cruel and get away with it! Liesel qualified, so shes obviously fit enough. I really hope she wins a medal and stands on the podium and shakes her 'not fat' ass!

BadCat
Agree.

Also does anyone look flatering when hunched over?

Oh yeah, totally. You should see me when I'm hunched over. I look perfectly spherical. It's inspiring.

Liv_DrSperm_sh

As a NZer it is generally considered bad form...if not illegal...to cheer for Aussies, but in Liesel's case I will be screaming down the house for her to win ALL her races!

RichardParker
It's a doozy, isn't it :rolleyes: Way to go media, lets have all our young girls see that EVEN IF YOU'RE ONE OF THE BEST SWIMMERS IN AUSTRALIA, HAVE WON MEDALS, ARE GOING YOUR FOURTH OLYMPICS WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE IS STILL CONSIDERED BY SOME TO BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN

Yep. And even if you exercise enough to compete at the Olympics, you still won't be skinny enough.

Women: Your job is to please people with your appearance, that is all.

HeartMyBoys

Good on u Livsh :D

ubermum
. She says the photos are not indicitive of what she actually looks like and that by any one's standards she is still very slim.

I don't understand that comment. Were they photo shopped? As far as I know, you only get to go to the Olympics if you qualify, so she must be up to it. I do understand why people have brought her weight up though. It is not often you see an Olympic athlete that has flesh on them, they are normally all sinewy and defined. In her profession, her body is her tool, so discussing how it appears is actually quite valid. Maybe her look is a secret weapon and carrying a little fat is her secret weapon and will aide her buoyancy. Who knows? At this level of competition, nothing is an accident. We all know how well a seal can swim :D

I don't care what she looks like, I just hope she gets a PB and a gold medal to stick it to them.

BetteBoop
There were NO media articles or interviews or documentaries about this being her FOURTH olympics, something no one has done before. NONE.

Agree. It's communicating to women where their real value lies.

One documentary against wall to wall coverage and analysis of her looks? Hardly a balance.

kpingitquiet
Yep. And even if you exercise enough to compete at the Olympics, you still won't be skinny enough.

Women: Your job is to please people with your appearance, that is all.

Gawd, that's depressing. Sigh.

RichardParker
I don't understand that comment. Were they photo shopped? As far as I know, you only get to go to the Olympics if you qualify, so she must be up to it. I do understand why people have brought her weight up though. It is not often you see an Olympic athlete that has flesh on them, they are normally all sinewy and defined.

I think she was beinding over in the photo and her stomach was emphasised. Also, I don't think swimmers, for some reason, are really that sinewy, even the men look like they have 'soft' muscle. I mean this compared to a marathon runner, for example.

Modigliana

:clap:

It drives me crazy that this "story" is getting any air time. The media in Australia disgusts me.

Edited by JediMindTrick