Sign in to follow this  
CherrySunday

London Olympics

BlondieUK
But what is merit in sport? Isn't it just as much about playing the game as winning?

Yes. But gender is not a 'merit'. Unless I am having an argumet with DH about who should not have to mow the lawn.

iheartu

I'm with the OP... The olympics is a big ol' yawnfest.

Thank goodness it's only every four years.

Soontobegran
We are SO excited in this house! The Olympics is one of my favourite things to watch. We have Foxtel sports so very excited that nothing will be interrupted with ads and that I can IQ stuff!

Sorry OP ;)

Same :)

I'll be doing all nighters for sure.

HRH Countrymel

*edit

'cause I felt a bit funny....

Edited by countrymel

Fifteenyears

I love them. It's only once every four years that I can kick back and pretend to be an expert in the finer points of kayaking and equestrian eventing. Although TBH, the table tennis has never worked for me.

I'll be up at 5:30am on Saturday to watch the opening ceremony live, and have already promised to cook pancakes for breakfast and make a bit of a family event out of it.

There are 12 other free to air channels that are not allowed to broadcast so much as a snippit of Olympic footage for people who are not so fond of the event.

Therese

We love the Olympics :D

miriams

Won't be watching. A lot of people who were living in the area , some whose families had lived there for centuries, were evicted to make way for the new park under compulsory acquisition orders. These sites will be sold to highend developers after the games. Also find the level of militarization very concerning (anti-aircraft missiles, more troops than in Afghanistan etc). It's as though they are planning for some big event to justify a 'crackdown'. Very worrisome.

Edited by miriams

MiSS_E

I'll consider watching the Olympics when the Paralympics receives the same amount of fanfare and coverage.

Rock of Empathy

huge fan. Can't wait.

Milly Molly Mandy

Totally excited. Have downloaded the wake up and smell the Vegemite app where it will set a wake a call by event.

We will all be watching in this house, foxtel going mad.

So jealous of those over there, the Sydney games were such a magical time here, everyone happy and friendly, you would chat to strangers etc. games finished and everything was back to heads down no eye contact with strangers, sad.

BlondieUK
Won't be watching. A lot of people who were living in the area , some whose families had lived there for centuries, were evicted to make way for the new park under compulsory acquisition orders. These sites will be sold to highend developers after the games. Also find the level of militarization very concerning (anti-aircraft missiles, more troops than in Afghanistan etc). It's as though they are planning for some big event to justify a 'crackdown'. Very worrisome.

Did you see the state of some of the housing that was there? Have you seen the housing these people were moved to? And I think to say they have lived there for centuries is a bot much, given that most the estates were built in the last thirty/forty years.

As to the level of militarisation - you are kidding yourself if you do not think that Beijing has hundreds of thousands of troops ready to go, and that the Army wasn't involved in the security arrangements for Sydney.

Having said that, one of the big reasons that the army is such a presence at the London games is that the security company bascially went bust/screwed up and the armed forces had to fill quite a big gap.

My husband is in Cardiff today (where they are holding women's and men's football - and he said that the security is present, but in no way in -your-face.

I have no idea what kind of 'crack-down' you are referring to.

BadCat
I love love love the Olympics. I was lucky enough to get a ticket right on the finish line for Cathy Freemans race in Sydney. Outside marriage and children it still ranks as the best moment of my life.

Me too!

I wasn't at the finish line for Cathy's run though. I was a few rows from the front right where she was warming up for the race, around the end point of the stagger. I still get goosebumps when I remember the sheer volume of 100,000 people all yelling for her and singing the anthem later. Brilliant stuff.

Sign in to follow this