Sign in to follow this  
CherrySunday

London Olympics

Expelliarmus

LOL The Winter Olympics don't really count ... (you know not that I think so but the world in general thinks so)

Besides which in almost 100 years there have only been 3 female flag bearers (for the summer Olympics). The last three were male.

BlondieUK

Canada thinks that the Summer Olympics don't count :) As do most of the Scandanavian countries :)

But yes, it would be lovely to have a female flag bearer, but not at the expense of a more deserving male. that's all I'm saying. And Jenny Donnet wasn't all that to begin with.......there are other divers in Australian history who achieved a far higher medal count. Yes, she went to four Olympics - but her level of achievement at any of them was nothing to write home about, IMO.

JennyH

I just saw the olympic torch 2 hours ago! We're very excited.

And with ?20 BBC free channels I assume we'll be able to watch whatever we want, live or repeated.

I wonder how long until the kids rebel and want kids TV back again? Hours into Sat maybe?

8LittleAustralians

I can't wait. I haven't been interested in them much for the past couple, but my DH has a mate competing and another is a team manager. Has been interesting watching the preparation for it and hearing all the talk and seeing the photo's. The kids are pretty excited to watch it also. Will probably watch the swimming, athletics, boxing and fencing since they are the sports they do.

baddmammajamma
I missed most of the Sydney Olympics due to crap coverage in HK. Ditto for Beijing.

The BBC is streaming mutliple channels in HD, and given what I have seen of their sports/Jubilee coverage, I think they will do a great job :)

I would love that! Not jealous of your weather, but wow, am I jealous of your Olympic opportunity! ENJOY!

OP, sorry that there are so many of us pro-Olympians on your vent! ;)

BlondieUK, I get equally excited about the summer & winter Olympics because where I come from, we do well at both! ;)

Edited by baddmammajamma

*Ker*

Absolutely zero interest. I'm just hoping that there is SOMETHING decent on the other channels when it's on, otherwise, I might just be watching ABC3 with the kids. That's preferable to The Olympics.

BlondieUK
I would love that! Not jealous of your weather, but wow, am I jealous of your Olympic opportunity! ENJOY!

Right now, it's 27 degrees with bright sunshine, and the same is forecast for the next few days. It is, however, due to rain for the opening ceremony!

~ky~

There should be special free to air channels that feature sport only so I can avoid them!

I'm dreading the olympics ... I won't get any coverage of the NZ teams now that I live here.

CherrySunday
OP, sorry that there are so many of us pro-Olympians on your vent! ;)

lol, I'm used to being surrounded by sports lovers. Although thankfully DH loathes the Olympics as much as I do.

We were talking yesterday though about how good it would be to have a 'drug cheat' category for each sport though - coz seeing a guy run 100m in 9.9 seconds? Pfft

I wanna see someone do it in 6 :p

I think we're just going to have to stock up on tv shows to watch & turn off the news before the sports coverage starts.

Embracethechaos

I love love love the Olympics. I was lucky enough to get a ticket right on the finish line for Cathy Freemans race in Sydney. Outside marriage and children it still ranks as the best moment of my life.

RichardParker

BlondieUK I'm totes jealous. I really wanted to make it to London for this year's games, but alas, no. I've now set my sights on Rio.

The only thing I hate about the Olympics are those stupid non-sports that shouldn't be in there - like ten-pin bowling and hand-ball. Yawn.

Ianthe

I am far from a sports fan but I love the Olympics. My favourites are diving and the track and field.

Sydney during the Olympics had the most amazing vibe. It was such a great time. I would love to be in London right now (well that is always my stand on London :lol: )

MAGS24

I have been looking forward to this Olympics because I missed most of the last one. My DS1 was a baby around the 2008 Olympics and I was at home looking after him and didn't realise that the Olympics was on until the day before the closing ceremony. No one even thought to tell me it was on and I was only watching limited Foxtel channels back then. My favourite events are the Equestrian, Gymnastics and most of the track and field.

roses7

We are counting down the days here. I have been hooked on the Olympics since Montreal (yes I am old ) and I always watch as much as I can.

I live in Sydney and those 2 weeks in 2000 were the best!

I can foresee some tension though as DH and most of our friends are English and I'm sure they are going to do really well. Sigh...let the gloating commence!

Gangnam Style
Ummmm - what? Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flag_...at_the_Olympics

Last two flag bearers at Winter Olympics have been women. I'd rather they chose on merit.

I really don't think they could have been choosing on merit before now, if only three women have ever been flag bearers at previous Olympics opening ceremonies.

FeralRebelWClaws

I can't wait for the paralympics! One of the girls I work with is competing in equestrian! I REALLY hope they have good coverage of the paralympics as well!

Oriental lily

We have foxtel and I think there probably more than 10channels dedicated to it. It will be great to record all the stuff I am interested and then watch them at my leisure. Will cut out all the boring stuff and hopefully it will have coverage of stuff that the commercial channels avoid due to Australa not competing.

Bring it on!!!!

BlondieUK
I really don't think they could have been choosing on merit before now, if only three women have ever been flag bearers at previous Olympics opening ceremonies.

Agreed, but choose it on merit, now.

Gangnam Style

But what is merit in sport? Isn't it just as much about playing the game as winning?

Sweet like a lemon
I can't wait for the paralympics! One of the girls I work with is competing in equestrian! I REALLY hope they have good coverage of the paralympics as well!

How awesome! You must be bursting with pride!

South Coast

I can't wait either! We've upgraded our Foxtel for it too...

Really looking forward to the men's 100m Final.... just amazing!

Edited by Satay chicken

Expelliarmus

Wasn't Sydney awesome during the Games? *le sigh*

I loved that the last two were Australian friendly timezones. This one ... not so much! I'll still watch avidly whatever I can - we only have free-to-air.

MrsNorthman

We are SO excited in this house! The Olympics is one of my favourite things to watch. We have Foxtel sports so very excited that nothing will be interrupted with ads and that I can IQ stuff!

Sorry OP ;)

bearosauraus

DH and I are olympics nutters!!! So glad foxtel have 8 channels :D I know quite a few people competing too, so that makes it even more exciting!! yayyy not long to go now!

Stoked

I love watching winter Olympics. All those cross-country skiing events lull me into a deep, relaxing sleep. Summer Olympics though, with its athletics stuff mostly - meh...

Sign in to follow this