Wacky Wobbler

Baby born at 28 weeks

Wacky Wobbler

Hi,

I found out yesterday that there is a high chance my baby will be born at 28 weeks due to a number of factors. I will know alot more next week but was just wondering if people could let me know their experiences.

Thank you.

WinterIsComing

Hi,

I am not sure if I am qualified to reply. But in my pregnancy, around 25 weeks, I had threatened prem labour, and I studied every statistic under the sun.

What I remember thinking that if I got to 26 weeks, the stats so much better already. From 27 weeks onwards, there was a dramatic difference to how babies looked, and at 28 weeks, more likely than not, a child would end up being perfectly healthy in a long term.

I remember having NICU paed visit us, and show us the album of premmies at various weeks. The difference between 25 weeks and 27 weeks was so dramatic, I kept thinking "I only need to last 1.5 weeks, and everything will be OK".

Hang in there. With steroid injections and being in major NICU, like RNS or RPA in Sydney (not sure where you are), your baby has all the chances of having great outcomes.

Mrs305

The only person I know who delivered around then (25 weeks) is a TV personality in the U.S. from a reality show called 19 Kids And Counting - Michelle Duggar's baby girl was born at 25 weeks gestation and ended up being a healthy toddler. She of course needed medical intervention for several months after birth. Uplifting link found here:

http://duggarsblog.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/josie-update.html

Wishing you and your beautiful little bean all the best.

witchesforest

my friend's little boy came unexpectedly early at 28 weeks.

she was in pieces, she named him in a hurry because thought he was definitely going to die - they look so fragile and tiny. he spent almost 2 months in hospital, had to have CPAP etc etc.

fast forward 7 years and he is totally fine. he is huge (dad is tall and broad so he has inherited that), cognitively normal, reading, writing, wrestling his brother and doing everything else you would expect a 7 year old boy to do. there is absolutely nothing to show that he was born severely premature - in fact he seems almost more robust and energetic than his non-premature brother.

so although there can of course be problems, some kids do seem to escape any repercussions at all, despite such a challenging beginning in life.

good luck!!

doubledelight

I was originally told that I would deliver my twins at 28 weeks. After consultation with the head of the FMU we managed to get to 31+5 weeks. Don't just accept everything you're told. Ask questions, no question is stupid. Inform yourself of risks vs benefits. Try and arrange an appointment with the NICU, have a tour and talk to them about outcomes at various stages. I know for us it was worth the risk with close monitoring to try and push forward.

I'm not sure what hospital you will be at but check out Miracle Babies, there are plenty of stories and resources that will give you a better understanding.

Good luck and if I can be of any help please PM me.

Newdisplayname

my first son was born at 28 weeks,

At first it was very scary,But remember you are a mother and it still is the most wonderful time. I look back with real joy. My biggest piece of advice is to make yourself and your baby the no 1 priority if you can( He was my first child so this was made easier for me) ( I found visitors draining). If you have the money I would buy a breastpump and sterilizer straight away ( I loved my medela swing).

Healthwise there are lots of small milestones that are still happening at this time which are different for each baby the process is so long for them all though - we were there almost to our due date- My DS took ages to tolerate ebm and had a longline for longer than usual. but was off the vent almost straight away but was on cpap for longer than usual. The NICU we were in was brilliant (RBWH) so was Ronald Mcdonald house next door. I would def ask for a tour of the NICU to prepare yourself. sorry this is all over the place ( I am playing with children while writing this) feel free to ask any Q's you want to know.

DS is now 4 and will start school next year (sob sob) he has reacched all his milestone - later than other babies but is bright and healthy now.

Steggles

I know quite a few 28 weekers and you can't pick it now at 2.5/3ish. They are healthy, happy kids. Technology is amazing these days! However their parents had a long NICU/SCU journey - def a tough and stressful time.

Wacky Wobbler

Thank you to everyone for all of your replies.

The reason he could be coming early is that my cervix is shortening and my blood pressure is playing up. I didn’t ask too many questions yesterday as I was in shock. I see my doctor next week to look at having a stitch placed and further monitoring. I am no longer working and am resting up as much as possible. I just want to be prepared for the worse.

I am going to get a tour of the NICU organised (I will birth at the JHH in Newcastle) and will be asking a lot of questions.

Once again thank you all so much for the replies. You are all very brave and no doubt I will be in here again asking more questions.

bearosauraus

My niece was born at 28 weeks and is a healthy 18 month old now. You wouldnt even know she was born that early despite still being young. She was considered very lucky, as she had no problems or complications throughout her entire stay. She left hospital a couple of days before her due date. :)

WinterIsComing
Thank you to everyone for all of your replies.

The reason he could be coming early is that my cervix is shortening and my blood pressure is playing up.

My cervix was on the short side, and lasted till 40 weeks! Good luck!

Just so you know, there is an immense difference between 28 and 30 weeks. At 30 weeks, chances of zero health problems are over 90%.

FWIW, I bought a "Baby Stay In" mp3 online from Hypnobabies website, and listened to it daily. Wonder if it helped?

Carmen02

my nephew was born at 27 weeks, he was in NICU to start with he needed help breathing for a while and he left hospital just before his due date and now his a very healthy happy almost 10yr old boy :)

Hope things go ok OP

premmie

I don't have personal experience both my boys were term. But I was born at 29 weeks over 30 years ago and with corrected ages up till about 3 I reached all the necessary milestones - its a long road and every in day counts. Like the pp said the difference between 28 and 30 weeks is pretty huge and the statistic improve vastly from there. Hang in there!

~Kay~

Hi OP

I hope all is going well for you.

My daughter was born at 27weeks and she is now a fantastic 5year old. Like PPs have said, the long term outcomes are very good but the journey can be tough.

Expect your baby to stay in hospital until around their due date, so that means 3 months at the hospital. Do you live close enough to commute daily?

Start planning for it now. I know you are trying to rest but do you have any family or friends that could help you stock up your freezer. I found the time while she was in the hospital very stressful and tiring on a body that is also trying to recover from birth, so nutrition was very important but easy to neglect. It didn't help that I also had a 2yr old at home. Do you have other children, if you do this is a hard juggle.

As a previous poster mentioned you will need a breast pump, you can buy or hire one from a chemist or the ABA and also a steriliser, either Milton or steam. It's good to start planning what you will do if it all happens suddenly.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your little one.

.Jerry.

My daughter was born at 27 weeks. She is now a happy, healthy 6 year old. :)

It is tough in the NICU and SCN days. You just need to take it one hour, one day at a time.

I agree with PPs. The further you get, the better. At early gestations, each day can make a huge difference. From 30 weeks on, it is much better.

Whilst there are wonderful stories of babies born early, I get frustrated with people who gloss over the issues of babies born prematurely. There are no guarantees and at any moment things can change. Missing the last trimester in the womb does have a significant impact.

My daughter is happy and healthy however there are ongoing issues that are related to her prematurity. The whole "catch up by 2" and everything is fine is incorrect in most cases for babies born at 28 weeks and before.

I say this not to frighten you, but to ensure you go into this with eyes open. Work with your doctors to stay pregnant as long as possible and then be on alert to advocate for your baby and child.

It is a good idea to do your research now. Take a tour of NICU, read about prematurity and look after your health.

Best wishes. :)

Reve4

Good luck OP.

My dd was born at 26+4 weeks and she is a happy and healthy 8.5 month old. I know our road ahead is unsure but we are taking one step at a time. So far she is doing really well and there are no health issues or serious gross motor delays.

Wacky Wobbler

Thank you once again to everyone for their replies.

I had another scan yesterday which showed that my cervix had not shortened. So I am going to continue with the progesterone and bed rest.

Thank you for all of your well wishes.

*mylittleprince*

Hi

My DS wasn't prem but I've been doing a lot of research due to having twins.

I came across this blog post yesterday which I found very good:

http://nicuadvice.blogspot.co.uk/

All the best and hope you are able to keep that baby in their for many more weeks.

crazy4u

Great to hear there's been no further shortening of your cervix - keep doing what you're doing! My waters broke at 29+6 then twins born at 30+3, and while I don't want to gloss over premmie issues, they are now 15 months and actually above average in size and some milestones! Of course there is a vast difference between 28 weekers and 30 weekers, but it sounds like you're doing a great job trying to keep your little one tucked up tight for as long as possible :)

Mariamsmum

Great news puffsgirl!

Hope that the progesterone and bed rest does the trick and you are able to keep your precious little one baking for a few more weeks yet.