Sign in to follow this  
~mimo~

'Better' athlete?

~mimo~

Forgetting times etc, who do you think is the 'better' athlete?

I think the paralympics deserve better coverage than what is currently shown.

They have had to overcome a whole lot more, esp if they became disabled later in life.

PixieVee

I agree with you.

Breeze82

I love watching wheelchair basketball and wheelchair rugby. It's prob the only Olympics I watch.

Soontobegran

By saying the paralympians are better it is taking some shine off the able bodied athletes. They are both amazingly dedicated sports people and I don't think they can be compared.

I will watch both but I do wish there was equal coverage of both. :(

MrsLexiK

I agree with you there needs to be more coverage I think in certain sports disabled people have had to overcome a lot more to be able to do what they do then there able bodied friends. It is not taking away from the able bodied people at all, but Jeeze it is so much harder to play wheel chair basketball and tennis then how you would normally play it. It is also a lot hard to learn to run/walk again with missing limbs to be able to be competitive at running still is amazing.

DEVOCEAN

I think neither are necessarily better than the other. I have been watching the AWD Futsal teams for years now and they always get a huge number of people watching them play. Their dedication and love of their sport is fantastic, but no more so than able bodied athletes who are dedicated and love their sport.

Yes disabled athletes should get more publicity, but so to should female athletes.

ComradeBob

I think the Paralympians should get heaps more coverage, but I'm biased. DH's cousin and cousin's gf are both on the paralympics team for their respective countries.

They're both very able sportspeople who have worked amazingly hard to get to where they are. I :heart: both of them and I'm very, very proud! :D

Edited by WooBob!

MintyBiscuit

I think it's comparing apples and oranges as far as ability, but I do think paralympians generally have a harder road to get there and wish there was more coverage.

During the Sydney Paralympics tickets were dirt cheap (something like $15) to watch a full day of the track and field events, so our whole family went along. It was incredible to watch, but sadly there were only about 100 people in the entire stadium.

GenWhy

Just putting my flame suit on.....

I think paralympians are by far the better athletes. They work harder physically in most cases and overcome more adversity (in most cases - I know I'm generalizing).

I'd like to see equal coverage - same as I'd like to see more female athletes get recognition and equal payments.

However, overall I'd like much less sport on tele and especially involving Olympics. I dislike the way athletes are valued over any other profession and the ridiculous adoration they receive. I used to be an athlete and represented Australia a few times as well as my home state. I found a lot of them were pushed by their parents and a lot of them were selfish twats. My DH was a world champion in his sport waaaaaaaaay back in the day and the stories he tells about the things he and his fellow sportsman got away with due to their sporting achievements are disgraceful.

I understand people love sport and love to watch it but on free to air TV I really wish there was way less of it.

BadCat

I watch the olympics because I love them. I don't watch much paralympic stuff partly because there is very little on and partly because when you have stuff like the swimming where there are half a dozen different categories of disability in one race the excitement is not there. The guy who is coming 5th could be winning his category. It just doesn't have the thrill of that desperate lunge for the wall at the end.

In the end it's a bit like women's sport. If there was more coverage there would be more interest. But it's hard to get more interest without more coverage.

DEVOCEAN
In the end it's a bit like women's sport. If there was more coverage there would be more interest. But it's hard to get more interest without more coverage.

So true.

whatnamenow

i just wish the AWD would open up their criteria more. My DD is to physically impaired to participate in standard sport but due to the nature of her disability is ineligible to participate in the AWD activities. There is more to PI than paraplegic/quadriplegic and amputee's....

Poss and Soss

I could not give a sh*t about the Olympics. I don't CARE who is winning (and whether they are Aussie or otherwise). Colossal waste of public money in my opinion. In fact - the only good thing about the Olympics is the inordinate amount of time dedicated to it on all TV stations - which gives a great chance to catch up on serialised TV shows I have missed over the last 4 years.

Paralympics? I'd be a lot more inclined to watch were they more fulsomely televised.

VigilantePaladin
By saying the paralympians are better it is taking some shine off the able bodied athletes. They are both amazingly dedicated sports people and I don't think they can be compared.

I will watch both but I do wish there was equal coverage of both. :(

This.

The only truly equal sport for both able bodied and not so able bodied is equestrian.

fr0g

I went to the U12 National Track &Field comp last year and watching the AWD events were some of the most inspirational moments of the meet for me (and I had an able-bodied competitor). I really have so much admiration for AWD.

For those who think the Olympics are wasteful and pointless, I beg to differ. Each and every one of those athletes, able bodied and those with disability have committed and dedicated themselves so fully to their sport, I can't help but see the event as more than competition, but as a display of spirit. I'm really moved by triumph, so for me, I'd love to see the paralympians have equal billing, because they've all worked so bloody hard to get to the top of their (very competitive) game.

BetteBoop
I think the Paralympians should get heaps more coverage, but I'm biased. DH's cousin and cousin's gf are both on the paralympics team for their respective countries.

They're both very able sportspeople who have worked amazingly hard to get to where they are. I :heart: both of them and I'm very, very proud! :D

You should be proud. I've worked with 2 people who represented Australia in the para's and I was stupidly proud to know them.

I'm inclined towards groupie like behaviour though.

It's like when you know someone who sings in a band and you go to watch them play. The minute they're on that stage, they're a rock star to me and I get all unglued :D

I think paralympians are by far the better athletes. They work harder physically in most cases and overcome more adversity (in most cases - I know I'm generalizing).

I agree. There are few sponsorship deals (if any) or national training academies for paralympians. So yeah, I'm more impressed by what they achieve with how little support they get.

*CalamityJane*

I don't know about "better" athletes as a group. Certainly AWD don't get the kind of support and funding that able bodied athletes get which makes it a much tougher road for them to reach an elite level. There a several paralympians I would class as superior athletes as well.

The paralympics should absolutely get more coverage. Apart from recognition of achievement some paralympic events are far more entertaining than able bodied events. I love wheelchair basketball for example. And it's nothing to do with overcoming adversity or anything, I just think it's an exciting sport to watch.

I know a number of past paralympians, one of whom is one of my closest friends. She competed in Atlanta and Sydney and I was super excited for her. (I also enjoyed basking in her reflective glory after she won a medal LOL).

Edited by *CalamityJane*

CherrySunday

I'm also inclined to think that athletes competing with a disability are 'better' athletes - just the fact that they have had to overcome so much more to be where they are and mostly do it with no real support from sponsors, 'big name' trainers etc.

Having said that, I still find watching it to be boring as batsh*t.

I went to a day of paralympics competition on Sydney, and it was only slightly less boring than the 'normal' olympics.

jessie123

I don't think you can really say one is better than the other. They all would have worked extremely hard to get to the top of their sport. Many able bodied athletes don't get huge sponsorship or support either.

8LittleAustralians

I'd prefer they just get rid of the paralympics games altogether.

IMO it should just be combined into the one games and the difference categories should just be different categories of the sport. I'd say there'd be much more coverage and funding would be invested into athletes with disabilities if their gold medal counted for the Olympic tally. The Olympics have different categories depending on gender and weight, we don't have the 'mens and women's' Olympics, so why is it ok to separate on ability?

LambChop

They are all dedicated and amazing athletes, I watch whatever is on when I flick on the TV, I'm not one to plan ahead though, so it's pot luck.

I hate when people imply I'm some sort of better Mum because I have a child with special needs, I imagine athletes would feel the same in terms of being compared - that they are only better because of XYZ difference... no, they are best because they practise the most, have the most dedication & passion, and the most natural ability in their field in the world.

Hope there is a balance and not just those areas that Australia is 'best' at...

Fifteenyears
I understand people love sport and love to watch it but on free to air TV I really wish there was way less of it.

There are 12 free to air channels currently that aren't showing any of the Olympic games.

ABC will be broadcasting about 9 hours coverage for each day of the paralympics. Not as much as the Olympics are getting, but not insignificant either.

Guest JaneDoe2010
I'd prefer they just get rid of the paralympics games altogether.

IMO it should just be combined into the one games and the difference categories should just be different categories of the sport. I'd say there'd be much more coverage and funding would be invested into athletes with disabilities if their gold medal counted for the Olympic tally. The Olympics have different categories depending on gender and weight, we don't have the 'mens and women's' Olympics, so why is it ok to separate on ability?

Absolutely!! I agree 100%. Let's stop segregating them and have it all together!

Sign in to follow this