VigilantePaladin

Nick D'arcy photo: Is this an over reaction?

SarDonik
But that's just it. They are over there representing Australia. If they were over there on their own time and having a holiday, then do what they like.

True and they have to abide by unwritten and written codes of conduct when representing their country and whilst posing with guns may be regarded by some as tasteless, they certainly have not breached any behavioural guidelines. They haven't broken any laws, they haven't breached any team rules, they haven't done anything illegal, immoral, unethical. They haven't been out drinking or taking drugs or cheating on their wives.. they posed with a gun in a country which has very liberal gun laws. The fact that it is even newsworthy is pathetic and people objecting to it and calling for them to be kicked out of the team is ignorant and deplorable.

Edited by SarDonik

ChunkyChook

Biggest load off BS ever. Let's all plaster the photo over the the newspapers and put it up on Sunrise and the morning show every half an hour and then whinge about how they are supposed to role models to our children. The media should be getting an ass kicking for exposing the photo sooooo much.

Were they breaking the law? No. Were the guns loaded? No. Were they posing with the guns held to their temples like w*n*ers? No.

I hope Nick wins gold and gives the media the finger. Coz lets face it, everyone jumping up and down about this will gladly accept his medal in a our medal tally.

Imaginary friend
The media reaction is totally appropriate. Nick D'Arcy is your classic ratbag bully, smashes Simon Cowley's face in a night club, blatantly lies that is was in self-defence, never says sorry, never pays a cent for his victim's ordeal and recovery and then threatens to sue the Olympic committee if they don't let him on the team!

As for the other idiot who is a known liar/scammer...

But what have their previous incidents got to do with this?

Regardless of what I think of the individuals' previous behaviour, they did nothing wrong here.

kittennic

I think it's the most ridiculous thing to be worried about.

So they went to a shooting range, and took a photo afterwards. So what? Does no-one else decide for themselves what they do in their free time on a business trip?

If it is the fact that Australian Olympic athletes are associating with guns...well...are we not sending anyone to represent us in the Olympic shooting this year?

Ianthe

My eyes, my eyes.

What a ridiculous overreaction.

JAPNII
Depends on what they were doing to it :D

D'arcy is a twit and should never have been on our Olympic team. Maybe this is just an excuse to rectify this.

+1.

michie0moo
Look at it from a different view.

You have a child who is at a selective school or on a particular sports team who is caught shoplifting or vandalising.

Wouldn't you expect that child to keep their nose out of trouble and their record squeaky clean if they wanted to continue to represent the school or team?

I don't really care, but I think he's a fool for doing it.

You want to represent your country at the Olympics... you stay squeaky clean.

But what they did in this instance isn't illegal, immoral or unethical so really, there is no reason to think that this should be viewed as such or in anyway is behaviour a failure to "keep their nose clean" or stay "squeaky clean". Really it shouldn't have drawn anyone's attention. There are shooting clubs all over Australia too you know. We do send competitors to the Olympics in the shooting events. It is a personal taste issue.

Whether they should have been allowed on the team after their past behaviour is a completely separate issue. They have been selected and in this instance, they have done absolutely nothing wrong, so their position(s) should not even be in question. If the concern people have here is for the "poor role modelling" of posing with guns, then they should be furious not at Nick D'arcy, but at the media for exposing the images in the first place. It was not "in the public interest" for this to be shown.

Epitome

I think they're both twits (outside of this incident) and unbelievably stupid for posting the pic online

There's lots of things that are perfectly legal to do, but you'd be an idiot to put a photo of yourself doing them on the internet - if you were an athlete with a considerable income tied up in endorsements you'd be even dumber.

Hopefully the kick up the bum they get will knock some sense into them - because I really dont like the way either of them has behaved in the past.

aidensmum

I can't believe the papers believe that the general public would be offended. Just because it's Nick Darcy they try to make a story out of nothing. If it was AFL players would they even publish a story? I feel sorry for both the men involved and wish there was a quicker response to label this as a non issue.

I take photos like that every overseas trip we go on. DH is like a kid in a candy store in the US.

Prancer is coming

I think it is an over reaction. They were in the USA, excited to see stores selling guns, so went in and looked at them and posed for a picture. My DH did the same when were there.

Probably not the smartest move putting it somewhere where the media could get a hold of it, but I figure they were just putting exciting trip photos on facebook. How did it end up in the media's hands? Might be time for them to cull a few facebook friends....

Tigerdog
Posing with guns is both controversial and political. It polarises people for or against the behaviour which is exactly what they don't want to achieve.

But it isn't - it looks to me, from the background in the photo, they were posing in a sporting goods store - even if it happened in Australia (or especially if it happened here), it is considered a sport.

BadCat
... it is considered a sport.

Yep. Oh the horror. Sportspeople posing with sporting equipment other than that used in their own sport. What next? Stever Hooker riding a pushbike? Usain Bolt... walking? :lol:

jamdonut

I think the real reaction as such is because he has already brought so much disgrace to the sport. You'd think he'd have learned his lesson and be mindful of putting himself in situations where he could be scrutinised negatively. Idiot.

canuckmel

Yes.

I dislike both of them, but in this instance, neither of them have done anything illegal.

Expelliarmus

I don't think it's anything to get fussed about. The photo was taken in the US where those guns are legal. What has he done wrong?

Drowningnotwaving

Massive overreaction.

Shooting is an sport anyway, it's not like the shooters are somehow disgraced by swimming so why does it matter when its reversed?

Very very slow news day.

nom de plume

In my view, it's not so much that they posed with guns, but the fact the idiot posted it on his FB page. That's where the lesson is to be learnt. Stop posting this garbage online. You want to represent your country - then be discreet!

canuckmel
I can see where Nick is coming from. My DH (anti gun) was in the US and has an exact copy of this photo. Coming from Australia it just seemed unreal that you could walk into a gun store and pick up a machine gun. He had never even touched a gun in Australia. So its a real novelty.

This, pretty much.

Our 22 year old niece and her boyfriend have the exact same photo from their trip to America.

It really is different to just walk into a shop and pick up a gun. Niece is very anti gun culture, but they took the pic for fun, lucky she is not famous and no one cares...

Edited by canuckmel

Lim Lam

Having read the OP and 1st post only , I have to say I don't really care.

Im not offended and he wasnt doing anything illegal over there.

--binda--

Complete Beat Up!

I can remember Kenrick in Kindergarten. His Mum and My Mum worked in the canteen together (He has older sisters).

I'm sure he would have shown both his mother and his grandmother the picture. I would have as well. It's a novelty, being able to go to America, and hold guns.

dsk72

Kenrick picture = no need for a story.

D'Arcy picture = no need ofr a story.

D'Arcy on the Australian Olympic Squad = scandalous story. Should never have been allowed. I would love to see him swim and the crowd be totally silent.

Bad enough he did the crime, but he is too weak to even take the punishment and declared himself bankrupt instead. He doesn't deserve support, he doesn't deserve sponsorship and he sure as heck doesn't deserve a spot in the Olympic Team.

If he'd been human enough to make amends in the fashion the law courts of Australia had deemed fair, then he could start with a clean slate with me. But he didn't. He's a criminal and has no right to represent our country, in my opinion.

Cheers

Thestral

I think it is a total overreaction. He is not doing anything illegal (posing with a gun - big deal? Some people don't like guns but that doesn't mean he is doing something offensive, illegal or rude. Shooting is even an Olympic sport, isn't it?).

My DP would probably love to get a touristy pic posing with guns, too! Hell, even I'd probably do it just for the fun of it! I don't see how it is offensive or inappropriate in any way! TOTAL overreaction. I feel sorry for the poor guy.

VigilantePaladin

Oh egg meet face - it has just been announced on the news that before the Beijing games the swim team was taken to a rifle range for some shooting. A photo of Libby Trickett was used in some promotional material as well.

Wonder how this will play out now?