VigilantePaladin

Nick D'arcy photo: Is this an over reaction?

Sweet like a lemon

Isn't shooting at things an Olympic sport too? Stupid media beat up. With all crap happening in the world you wouldn't imagine they can be that desperate for a story.

Brings to mind Orwell vs Huxley. Orwell feared the truth would be hidden from us while Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Seems the were both right, though this story is as close to irrelevant as it gets.

http://www.oesquema.com.br/trabalhosujo/20...orge-orwell.htm

DEVOCEAN

Just realised the other one is the one who faked a hit & run report when he fell off his skateboard.

I think sending them home would be wrong, but I do believe they shouldn't have posted the photos and it is right they were made to remove them.

These two in particular should be on their best behaviour and watching what they do in relation to their public image.

glasnost

I thought the same thing when I saw this on the news last night- meh. Sure, they were a bit silly, especially to post in online but definitely a media beat-up.

BadCat

I think it's a ridiculous overreaction. I don't even think they should be required to take the photos down. They went shooting. So what? Don't like guns, don't use them. Want to have a shoot in a legal and controlled fashion then what's it to anyone else?

I'm buggered if I know why sports people are expected to be role models. Surely parents should be pointing out that while you may use these guys as inspiration as far as training and making an olympic squad you shouldn't be looking to model your personal life on them? I thought that was a given. :shrug:

JustMum08

Complete over re-action!

Tourist over seas pose for photos like this all the time!

F.E.B.E
I think he looks like a d*ck (which is accurate) and it isn't enough to throw them off the team since they took the photos down.

However, I also think he should not have been let on the team in the first place.

Completely agree.

DEVOCEAN

Look at it from a different view.

You have a child who is at a selective school or on a particular sports team who is caught shoplifting or vandalising.

Wouldn't you expect that child to keep their nose out of trouble and their record squeaky clean if they wanted to continue to represent the school or team?

BadCat
Look at it from a different view.

You have a child who is at a selective school or on a particular sports team who is caught shoplifting or vandalising.

Wouldn't you expect that child to keep their nose out of trouble and their record squeaky clean if they wanted to continue to represent the school or team?

No, not really. I would expect them to keep their sporting performance at an appropriate level and their school record good. What they do in their own time is up to their parents. Just as what these guys do in their own time should be their own business. Unless they are breaking the law I have no issue with what they do in their own time.

Edited by BadCat

Snagglepussed

It must be a slow news day in Australia when this makes headlines! I mean REALLY? He is in AMERCIA, the gun-toting capital of the world.

So what if he poses in.a.gun.shop....it's not like he was on the highway waving the gun at passersby!!!!

The quicker we STOP caring about trivial crap that goes on and concentrate more on the real issues at hand then maybe we will return to some semblance of normality!

I don't particularly like the guy either but heck, why should he be harangued over trivial stuff that is of no real consequence....????

Reminds of that school teacher years ago who got the sack for posing in a Cleo Centrefold with her husband! What a storm in a teacup that was.....

LambChop

It's a mess around photo by a couple of young men who I would probably think were tools if I met them, but 'offensive' ? No...

Completely ridiculous over reaction.

belinda1976

It's such an overreaction really and such a waste of an article when there are more important things in the world to worry over.

Gosh would the same reaction happen if American's posed with a Kangaroo in Oz???

Ducky*Fuzz

Overreaction.

If it was a olympic shooter, no-one would have batted an eyelid.

Propaganda

Sponsors are attaching their brand to a person, and they may not want their brand represented in this way. It makes sense that there would be a fuss.

That said, I think it's still a bit OTT. A bit of a tsk-tsk from sponsors and whoever else would have been enough. It's not particularly newsworthy or THAT shocking. It's not snorting coke of a hooker's backside.

Doodalicious

I don't actually see what they have done wrong. Anyone?

ETA: And why should they have to take it down?

Edited by Splatterpuss81

Rainbow Brite

It is a bit of an overreaction but considering the trouble both of them have been previously you'd think they would try and stay out of the limelight for now.

Nick D'Arcy is a moron anyway so not surprising that he posed for a photo like this and posted it. He seriously lacks any sort of intelligence.

Walkers
I think it has been made perfectly clear to members of the swim team (if not other teams bound for the Olympics) what is acceptable social media and what is not. If I was on the team and wanted to stay on the team - I would be posting very innocuous stuff to say the least - or nothing. If I was Nick Dumbcy then I would not have my image linked to anything dodgy as people are just waiting to take shots at him (and rightly so in my opinion). I also suspect if Nick wasn't in these photos then they they wouldn't have made such big news.

Exactly.

I wouldn't have thought he needed a crystal ball to see that the pic was going to be controversial yet he posts it for the world to see.

Still it is an overreaction.

Guest holy_j

I think they are tools, but meh,people are entitled to be tools in their own free time.They weren't doing anything illegal and that is far as their moral responsbilty goes towards Australia.

Guest Telmatiaeos

I don't really care, but I think he's a fool for doing it.

You want to represent your country at the Olympics... you stay squeaky clean.

Edited by Telmatiaeos

BetteBoop

I haven't read anything that say he's off the team. They told him to take the photos down to maintain the image of the Olympic team.

But as Bacon said, he shouldn't be on the team at all. What he did to Simon Cowley was appalling. Did he have a conviction recorded or not?

Either way, they can't be too concerned with the image of the team if they want him on it.

kadoodle
Gosh would the same reaction happen if American's posed with a Kangaroo in Oz???

Depends on what they were doing to it :D

D'arcy is a twit and should never have been on our Olympic team. Maybe this is just an excuse to rectify this.

Rachaelxxx

I think the media have beat it up, I don't really find it offensive. Gesh we are so politically correct with everything these days. I'm sure they regret the photo going up, but I don't find it that bad xx

MrsLexiK

They were in a gun shop in a state and country where it is legal to own firearms - total beat up!

homewith1

The media reaction is totally appropriate. Nick D'Arcy is your classic ratbag bully, smashes Simon Cowley's face in a night club, blatantly lies that is was in self-defence, never says sorry, never pays a cent for his victim's ordeal and recovery and then threatens to sue the Olympic committee if they don't let him on the team!

I am disgusted that my taxpayer dollars enable a person of such low moral calibre to represent Australia at the Olympics.

I hope the media keeps at him. I'm sure Simon and the other half of the Olympic swim team, that according to Geoff Huegill, resented his selection, are having a sly giggle.

As for the other idiot who is a known liar/scammer...

DEVOCEAN
No, not really. I would expect them to keep their sporting performance at an appropriate level and their school record good. What they do in their own time is up to their parents. Just as what these guys do in their own time should be their own business. Unless they are breaking the law I have no issue with what they do in their own time.

But that's just it. They are over there representing Australia. If they were over there on their own time and having a holiday, then do what they like.

Neeps
I'm buggered if I know why sports people are expected to be role models. Surely parents should be pointing out that while you may use these guys as inspiration as far as training and making an olympic squad you shouldn't be looking to model your personal life on them? I thought that was a given. :shrug:

Totally agree. I may admire an athlete's skill and dedication but I sure as heck don't look to their non-sporting life as a guide for how I should live.

The reaction of the AOC is daft. Are members of the shooting team permitted to pose with their guns?