VigilantePaladin

Nick D'arcy photo: Is this an over reaction?

VigilantePaladin

Article

Is this really worth the fuss? Or justified?

At what point is their free time and personal space deemed to be not?

:unsure:

MrsSmith247

Massive over-reaction and media beat up.

They've not broken any laws, and I really don't find it offensive.

CherrySunday

Eh.

It's not like they were standing with a rebel army, it looks like a perfectly legal gun store in California (where they had been taken/sent for training)

Who cares?

Edit -

I think this is funny

"We say again to our athletes, do not put anything up on social media that you would not share with your mother or your grandmother.

Why would someones mother or grandmother be offended by this photo? :huh:

Edited by *Browncoat*

a letter to Elise.

I think it's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that it is legal in the US to do this? (correct me if I'm wrong). I would assume so, as they were standing quite openly in the gun shop when they did it. There are a lot of people that pose for these types of photo's when they go to countries where weapons are more freely accessible. I know of countless people who have posed with swords etc. when travelling through Asia. Lot's of people see it as a novelty that they can do it there, and not here, and see it as just a photo. and therefore harmless. Not my cup of tea, and not in good taste, but I don't see what the big deal is.

It was pretty silly to put the pictures on Facebook. They should have realised someone would leak it, and they would cop some flak. But being kicked off the Olympic team? Massive over reaction.

Pearson

over reaction - on a massive scale

As Kochie said - what if they were standing with Michael Diamond?

Australia has won medals in shooting in the last 4 olympics

Mummy Duck

Darcy has done the wrong thing in the past and been punished. Im sick of the media on a witch hunt to catch him out on anything. I dont think they will ever leave this kid alone.

Even Chopper gets less of a hard time from the media.

VigilantePaladin
It just proves what idiots these two are really.......

Idiots or no - does it justify being chucked off the team for something that is legal to do?

caitiri

The problem as i understand it is that they want the athletes to represent the whole of Australia, therefore they need to be seen as neutral/non political. Posing with guns is both controversial and political. It polarises people for or against the behaviour which is exactly what they don't want to achieve.

Having said that my personal opinion is that I couldn't give a rats because its just a bloody photo

MintyBiscuit

I think it's a ridiculous beat up over a photo that thousands of tourists would have taken all the time. Yeah, probably not the best idea to put it online, but as soon as they were asked to take it off they did, and D'Arcy has apologised.

I think the media needs to get off Nick D'Arcy's back. Yeah, he messed up badly with the assault, but at what point do we finally say yes, he was punished, let's move on?

Squeekums The Elf

Overreaction. Its not like thye were ontop of a hooker snorting coke of her stomach.

SophieBear

FFS!!! The media are making this a huge deal. I doubt there are many people who will find this offensive!

I'm sick of this dramatic politically correctness and fear of offending people!

Cranky Kitten

Seriously, they were kicked off the team for that? What a load of bollocks and such a stupid media beat-up for what was at best a pretty dumb but relatively innocuous stunt.

It's about time people realised that being good at a sport shouldn't necessarily make you a role model and expected to be a saint. I don't get why people get so worked up over it with the "he's setting a bad example to the kiddies who idolise him" thing - kids idolise all sorts of things (and people) but you don't see half of them subjected to the same kind of scrutiny as sports stars are. It's up to parents to educate their kids on values and acceptable behaviour, not someone who just happens to be really good at swimming.

fr0g

Over reaction.

We're over being all indignant he was allowed back on the team after the assault, this is just a media beat up.

Let him swim and enjoy the usual tourist stuff. Who cares?

Mrs Dinosaurus

I think it's a beat up but I also think the "we hate Nick Darcy" campaign still has a lot of traction - he wasn't really punished in the eyes of the average person; I don't know much about sentencing laws but would another 20 year old have avoided prison for those horrific injuries? Especially with a continual refusal to accept any responsibility or apologise for the damage caused?

As for the bankruptcy claim - I thought there were passport restrictions on bankrupts?

I do think it's a media beat up, I also think that Libby Trickett posing the same photo would not have caused as much ire, but Libby Trickett has years of "good" behind her to refute one poor judgment, whereas these boys haven't done a lot of good, have lied, not taken responsibility for their actions and generally repeatedly proven themselves to be jackasses.

Having said that, these jackasses were already chosen to represent Australia and it would be a massive overreaction to strip them of that opportunity for these photos.

Flutters

I think it's a total overreaction and wonder if they're looking for an excuse to kick them off the team.

LynnyP

I think he looks like a d*ck (which is accurate) and it isn't enough to throw them off the team since they took the photos down.

However, I also think he should not have been let on the team in the first place.

Gone-Country

Waste of media space. huge over reaction.

Sentient Puddle

I think it has been made perfectly clear to members of the swim team (if not other teams bound for the Olympics) what is acceptable social media and what is not. If I was on the team and wanted to stay on the team - I would be posting very innocuous stuff to say the least - or nothing. If I was Nick Dumbcy then I would not have my image linked to anything dodgy as people are just waiting to take shots at him (and rightly so in my opinion). I also suspect if Nick wasn't in these photos then they they wouldn't have made such big news.

I'm Batman

They took him off the team?

What absolute sh*t.

They took a trophy photo for fb, being total tourists. That's it. They are no diffderent to thousands of other peoplewjo take stupid photos on holidays.

Tigster

I can see where Nick is coming from. My DH (anti gun) was in the US and has an exact copy of this photo. Coming from Australia it just seemed unreal that you could walk into a gun store and pick up a machine gun. He had never even touched a gun in Australia. So its a real novelty.

That being said maybe he should have kept the photo as a personal one. The media loves to create a storm in a teacup.

DEVOCEAN

I think if it were someone else without D'arcy's history, there would not have been such a problem.

Imaginary friend

I really dont get the issue - they posed with legal guns in shop that sells guns in the USA?

They did not buy the guns or use the guns or make a political statement about guns - why is this a problem?

If they posed with,say, the guns from the Australian Olympic shooting team or as PP said ceremonial swords in a different shop - what is the difference?

It has nothing to do with previous incidents and definitely doesnt seem enough to kick them off the team for - in fact doesnt seem worth a fuss about at all.

bearosauraus

Given that gun shops are legal in America I really cant see what the big deal is! I think given both of their histories is the reason why the media are making such a big story out of nothing (although thats not surprising about anything really...)

tres-chic

I am no fan of thugs like Nick D'Arcy but this does strike me as an over-reaction.

Agree with PPs. It's not illegal to go into a shop and look at the products on sale and if anything their photo is a statement on how surreal (and sickening) that easy access to such lethal weapons is.

lonsdale
He's not off the team pp as far as I know??

I know he was kicked off in 2008, I think he has only been told to take the photographs off facebook but not kicked off the team.

Overreaction regardless.

Edited by lonsdale