ytt

Can bleach baths make eczema worse?

PrincessPeach

Any un-iodised salt will be fine. According to the guy who re-pebble created our pool the only difference between the table salt & the pool salt is most table salts have iodine added & they don’t often come in 25kg sacks.

ainira

I think we got our salt from Bunnings not from a pool shop. 

Tinky Winky Woo

For me bleach and salt made my ezcema flare in a very bad way.  My skin felt like it was on fire from the inside out, it bled and I was in a world of pain.  

For me it took 25 years to settle.  I did an elimination diet and worked out what adds to the flares diet wise, then took out all chemicals, including cleaning products from my home.  

• Like 1

mintpatty

My daughter's eczema also flared when she went to high school.  Hers seems to be caused by stress, it's always worse around exam times.  Wet bandages work best for her when her skin is really bad.  She soaks in a bath with dermaid bath and shower oil, slathers on Advantin fatty ointment (prescription), then we wrap her up like a mummy with wet bandages and then dry bandages over the top.  

She won't use Moo Goo because it stings.  She finds Aveeno, available at Woolies, best for her.

Eczema really sucks.

MumLOA

When my son was at his worst, we would  bleach bath for two to three days and after the bath put on his steroid cream, a moisturiser and at his worst we would then do a wet wrap. It helped immensely.

Now with major flare ups we would do a bleach bath for two days with steroid creams and moisturiser and it makes a huge difference.

Hypnic Jerk

I ended up taking her back 4 days before her scheduled GP appt because we were 12 days in on 3 x cortisone & emolient/day and there would be change, but not much and it was appearing in other places.

The GP available said to continue the bleach baths, stopped the cortisone and switched her to Advantin Fatty at night and 3 days of prednilsone tablets and the change was immediate. I'm hoping tonight will be the last of the Advantin as she's almost totally clear.  She is moisturising 3 or more times a day as well.

She sees the allergist next week where we will probably find that the re-homed pets were not a problem.  Then off to see a dermatologist.  She has reacted badly to sunscreen before so that's high on my list of things to ask about.

Tinky Winky Woo

I grew up having such severe eczema that I bled all over my body.  Chemicals like bleach, chlorine, even soap, shampoos, deodorants would make my skin 100% worse and more painful.  The things I found for me to work were removing ALL chemicals where possible, using sulphate free body products, unscented products, staying away from acidic foods like oranges, tomatoes, capsicum.  Drinking heaps of water, no sugary drinks and trying to eat lower wheat products.  I also had to stop wearing wool and leather.  Stress and hormones would also set mine off. Cleaning chemicals in the house were also triggers for me, if the shower was cleaned (even after rinsing) my feet would flare up.  

It has taken me decades to work out what does and does not cause issues for me and it is horribly painful and embarassing as well, especially when it  bleeds.  Soaking in water made me feel better short term but in the long run only caused me more issues.  

Dermeze, phisohex, no oil sunscreens all help as well.