grommet

Suburb help, please recommend somewhere with a rural feel

grommet

Hi There Canberrans!

My hubby and I are considering moving from Sydney to the ACT.

There are a few reasons but one of the most important to us is to achieve a somewhat "rural" lifestyle whilst still being able to commute to the city for work (for hubby at least).

We have been looking at, Yass and surrounds, Murrambateman etc. Max of an hour drive to Canberra.

We would ideally like at least a half acre block (so 2000 Sqm ish) but even better would be to have a few acres.

If you know Sydney we are aiming for a Windsor / Galston / Arcadia feel.

Could you recommend me some areas or suburbs? Maybe there are some suburbs nearer in we should consider?

We have a primary aged child and a pre schooler to consider.

Any insights you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Grommett

sweetlibby82

I have looked at Bywong, Womboin (spelling?), Carwoola, and Sutton as options to the Murrumbateman area. Although from what I've seen Murrumbateman is a bit more affordable. Happy house hunting!

FeralRebelWClaws

Also try Burra or Googong...

Grommet, you won't regret it! I moved from Sydney to the ACT and LOVE it! I am in the suburbs though, but our next move will be rural, out of town. I wasn't sure how I'd cope after having lived in Sydney all my life and now I want more space and peace and quiet!

Dirtsa

You might find something at Royalla, Googong, or something out near Bungendore.

April girl

The beauty of my magnificent town is that a one hour commute lands you in Goulburn or Cooma - seriously! My colleague commutes to Goulburn everyday I also have a few colleagues who commute to bungendore. I work in Woden.

April girl

I forgot about royalla - a family we know with 4 kids aged 6mth - 8 yr moved there recently from tuggeranong area and adore it!

Dino-Mite

We live in Yass and have a 9 year old and a 2.5 year old.

There are 2 public primary schools, 1 public high school and 1 catholic school that goes up to year 10. We absolutely love the area. The only problem that we have here is that there is no vacation care and the school holidays don't match up with ACT schools which means our son has to fly up to his grandparents.

grommet

Thank you everyone for your feedback! We have been looking at all the suggested suburbs. Really like yass but it all looks great! We will spend a weekend soon having a look around. Thanks again!

Edit to remove sig, needs updating! How did I age 6 years since I last looked at my sig?

Edited by grommet

4kids mostlysane

My friends are selling their house in Yass at the moment - it's gorgeous - wanna buy it ;) (won't be enough land for you though !) Happy House Hunting....

PS Have a look at allhomes.com.au - check out Canberra Surrounds and you'll get an idea of prices/size etc....

BadCat

You could also look at Hall which is like a small village but only 20 minutes to the city. Beautiful area. Can be a bit pricey though.

mumin07

What area are you look at working in Canberra? as depending on where you would be working on might effect where you live. As I would not recommend Yass if you are definitely going to be working at Tuggeranong and would suggest somewhere like Royalla instead.

FeralRebelWClaws

mumin07 is definitely right, it depends where you work on what rural area is best... i.e. if you work in Gungahlin or Belconnen then Yass would be great! If you work in Tuggeranong then Burra/Royalla/Googong/Bungendore would be great!

If it were me, I think I'd move to just outside of Yass. I LOVE Binalong, it's 30km from Yass. We are getting married there, tiny town, it's adorable, but I dont' think it would have the services a young family would need. But there are plently of little towns that are 10min from Yass (Bowning etc!)

Good luck, I am VERY jealous!

Edited by PussyDids

Dino-Mite

Oh, I love Bowning - ok, I love the cafe there - its our cafe of choice. "Roll on Inn" have a coffee, then see the farm animals.

9 minutes on a weekend from North Yass :)

Edited by Dino-Mite

Moulla

I’m wondering if Grommet you needed up buying your rural block close to Canberra CBD?!

jayskette

you want the Galston/Arcadia feel? go to Forrest lol. You want actual rural, then any previous post will do

Mrs Zee
  • Like 1

Moulla
Edited by Moulla
  • Like 1