Sign in to follow this  
splendid

lots of niggles and pains in cervix

splendid

Hi all

I'm due with #4 May 29th, so am 32+4 at the moment. I have had lots of Braxton Hicks for weeks and weeks now, but the last week or so I've also been having sharp, stabbing pains on my cervix, as well as the odd back pain. Anyone else experiencing this or similar? Some of the Braxton Hicks have also been quite painful. At my last appointment (2 days ago), the obs was very unconcerned, and just told me that at my hospital they can deliver babies from 34 weeks gestation, so not to worry.

That's all well and good, but of course I still worry that something is going on!

It seems to me that this is like pre-labour, is it normal for these symptoms to occur so early on?

Thanks, splendid.

Guest Buy Me A Pony !

I don't know what normal is as I'm new to this experience but I can assure you I've been having a shooting pain along my cervix for a few weeks. Very little back pain (that's starting to change now that I just can't get comfortable but it's more a fatigue/strain). The cervical pain is intermittent and short lived but as the baby moves down I can feel it increasing. I'm not thinking I'm close yet as I'm not feeling any great pressure or weight on my cervix. Are you?

I've been having very obvious pre labour symptoms since 28ish weeks and apparently they can go for almost the final trimester. I think the cervical pains could be the ripening or softening which occurs in this trimester???

OBS can usually tell when the baby is closer to getting ready as they look at the position and room left for the baby to engage so if OBS is saying not to worry then perhaps ask how long s/he thinks before it may happen. Having said that, I don't think they know until it's much closer. :unsure:

If you're at all worried then give the labour unit a call and talk to the midwives or drop in and ask them to have a look - they'll likely just put their hands on your lower pelvic region and palpate the space. Any time I've had a concern they've been only to happy to examine and reassure.

Good luck - hope it all goes well and that you're not too uncomfortable.

password123

I'm due 30th May with #1 and am having the same sensations - like a shooting/stinging sensation at the cervix. I also have moments where I'll pee and then feel like I have a hugely full bladder and need to pee again by the time I reach the sofa. I think this basically means things are moving down there. My braxton hicks are starting to be painful (like I can feel them ripping at my ligaments) whereas before they were painless and just a tightening sensation.

I have a midwife appointment on wednesday and I'm going to see what she thinks.

I've got this really intense gut-feeling that I wont make it to 40 weeks.

Nobody Cool

OP I am 36 weeks and having the same feelings you describe, and am also getting very acute shooting pains down through the vagina at times which I also had in my first pregnancy. Sounds pretty normal to me. My last check up was at 35 weeks and the baby had not engaged yet.

splendid

Thanks for the replies, glad to hear it isn't just me! Just going to try my hardest to take it easy, and start filling the freezer and getting organised I think.

Mrs_Snorks: I had that same nagging feeling that I wouldn't make it to 40 weeks with #3, and my obs told me not to ignore my feelings - sometimes the body knows things that we aren't consciously aware of. Sure enough DD came 2 weeks early.

Good luck to you all!

Angelsanctum

Hi ladies, Im new to essential baby and was just having a look through the forums, would u mind if I joined in?

Im currently 36+3 weeks pregnant with my 3rd and I have experienced all of these symptoms in al 3 of my pregnancies. The sharp pains that you would more than likely be feeling in your cervix is actually the baby. Even though bubby is inside the womb, he/she can still put pressure on the cervix and it feels like something is stabbing you! Its often the head or arm/hand (if bubby is the right way around). Nothing to worry about :) In my second pregnancy, my son used to wiggle his head around on my cervix all the time, very uncomfortable! As for the Braxton Hicks and such, it can happen very early all the way up to the actual labour, and is possible for it to feel extremely close to the real thing. I had it from 30weeks with my daughter (born at 38+8), and actually went into prem labour with my son at 32weeks, flown to Sydney, they stopped labour and he was born at 38+6weeks. This baby has been very tame in comparrison! :)

Good luck with everything :) Just remember to listen to your body and if you are concerned,ask questions, call the hospital or even go up there if you feel you need to!

splendid

Thanks for your reply Angelsanctum!

I've been trying to relax a bit more this last week, and although i'm still a bit niggly, it is definitely not as bad as it was.

Almost 34 weeks now, on the countdown. I am very impatient!

Good luck to all.

Sign in to follow this  

Announcements