~Sorceress~

Breast feeding harassment in Tuggeranong Hyperdome

~Sorceress~

This week, three big brave security guards came to tell a friend of mine to stop breastfeeding her one month old baby, telling her it was illegal, and there was a place to "do that" . She was breastfeeding very discretely while sitting outside Kmart (waiting for her dh and older children) at Tuggeranong Hyperdome.

Apart from being horrified that this sort of harassment could happen in this day and age, and that anybody could think it at all reasonable to send THREE security guards to speak to one small woman with an even smaller baby, I'm horrified to think this may have happened to other mothers who may not have known it was their legal right to breastfeed in public! :(

So, does anybody know if this is a one-off incident or is there a general anti-breastfeeding climate down there? :(

Edited by ~Sorceress~

millimum

I would have loved to have given those burly security guards a serve- illigal my a*se.

I believe there needs to be a "breastfeed" in at the hyperdome.

Roselet

How did the mother respond?

Duck-o-lah

That's ridiculous! Hope she put in a complaint.

lisa25

I'll be jotting down my opinion of this to: tuggernaong_hyperdome@cfsgam.com.au

libbylu

She should make a complaint to the center and have the security guards corrected on their mistake so noone else has to go through this. A women has a legal right to breastfeed anywhere she chooses without harassment or discrimination.

CherrySunday

I'd also speak to centre management.

I've never had an issue there though.

I once fed DD while sitting in 'Just Cuts' then walked while feeding her to the food court where I continued to do so.

Is it bad that I kinda wish these things would happen to me (if they were going to happen at all) so I could give them a spiel about how it's not illegal and send them on their way??

edit: I might just send an email to the address lisa25 gave if that's okay, OP?

Edited by *Browncoat*

Le-a

Omg that is disgusting. I would be contacting ACA and TT and having the security guards named and shamed (or other more, er, serious news sources!). I'd also expect an apology from the guards/centre management.

I really hope she does something about this incident, op, please keep us posted.

~carmen~

that is terrible!! i get odd looks sometimes with my 6 week old but as this is #3 they brush right off me. if anyone dared to confront me in public they would get a severe tounge lashing! not only should she, or u on her behalf OP, write a letter of official complaint, but she should also get an appology and a gift voucher to the centre for the security gards to have told her it was illegal!! what idiots!! :o

just roses
Is it bad that I kinda wish these things would happen to me (if they were going to happen at all) so I could give them a spiel about how it's not illegal and send them on their way??

I feel the same. Some people find it really hard to deal with these sorts of situations and so get scared off breastfeeding in public. So I would hope they'd happen to people who are better equipped to respond well and set people straight with their outrageous attitudes.

Froger

That's terrible. I really hope that the shopping centre management find out why that happened and make sure it never happens agains.

Beqa

That is terrible. OP please tell me she is making a complaint.

~Sorceress~

My friend is a long-term breastfeeding advocate who's breastfed all over the world with no problems, but it was her first trip out with her newborn and she was clearly quite shaken by it. :(

She stood her ground and told them that it was legal for her to breastfeed :) , and insisted on them calling management to check. They went away a bit to call management, then came back and said they were sorry - they were new to the job and she was right.

But how were there THREE new security guards? I could understand one guard on his own making a mistake but I can't understand how three of them thought breastfeeding was illegal - and so illegal that it would take three of them to deal with the perpetrator of the crime... :o:(

No wonder Australia's breastfeeding rates are so low :( .

Her dh phoned the centre asking for an apology, but they're still waiting... :( . I can only hope they're waiting because it's going to be a substantial apology!

I'm just curious as to whether it's an endemic problem or honestly was a once off total lack of training issue...

CherrySunday
I feel the same. Some people find it really hard to deal with these sorts of situations and so get scared off breastfeeding in public. So I would hope they'd happen to people who are better equipped to respond well and set people straight with their outrageous attitudes.

Same here! I'm always at the ready to tell people to bugger off and it's my legal right to breastfeed where I wanna breastfeed. Never had one person say anythiny to me yet, in my years of breastfeeding.

Glad I'm not the only one!

I was in the Hyperdome this morning, I should have stopped to offer DD a feed :evilgrin:

Edit- Saw your response OP - that's great that she stood up for herself & baby :)

I hope they get their apology quicksmart!

Edited by *Browncoat*

~Sorceress~

Oh, and I think letters to the Hyperdome are a great idea! I might write one myself suggesting that this is important enough for them to put in their training manuals for ALL staff! :)

CherrySunday
Oh, and I think letters to the Hyperdome are a great idea! I might write one myself suggesting that this is important enough for them to put in their training manuals for ALL staff! :)

I sent an email to them a few minutes ago, just linking to the ABAs info about legal rights to breastfeed. I may have also mentioned that if I hear about similar incidents, I may shop elsewhere... :ph34r:

Edited by *Browncoat*

Roselet

Have just printed out the section of the Sex Discrimination Act to take with me when I go out with new baby - so I can show stupid security guards that it is illegal for THEM to tell ME I can't breastfeed.

Morons.

Jenflea

I worked there for 10 years and never heard of anything similar happening.

I also am surprised there were THREE security guards as that place was too cheap to pay for 2 let alone 3 not that long ago...

No one's ever looked sideways at me when feeding. I am guilty of looking at BF mothers and smiling though, it's a lovely sight to see.

tibs
So, does anybody know if this is a one-off incident or is there a general anti-breastfeeding climate down there? :(

Canberra is pretty pro breastfeeding but that particular shopping centre is located in a, how should I put it, lower socio economic area, where formula feeding would be the norm so breastfeeding might not be commonly seen there.

There would be 3 guards there because they would usually be removing troublemakers/shoplifters/undesirables so might be used to getting a little resistance therefore travel in packs for their own protection.

Sorry that happened to your friend :(

Beqa

DP

Edited by Display anemone

Bluenomi

Wow, that is horrible! I've fed in every other major centre in town without a problem but never venture that far south anymore.

Lucky it wasn't me, I'd be telling them off very loudly. Actually if there was 3 of them I'm be tempted to call the police and tell them I'm being harrassed :rant:

bakesgirls
Canberra is pretty pro breastfeeding but that particular shopping centre is located in a, how should I put it, lower socio economic area, where formula feeding would be the norm so breastfeeding might not be commonly seen there.

Surely you jest?

tibs
Surely you jest?

Um no, are you not aware of the link between breastfeeding and socio economic status, I though it was fairly well known :unsure: Or are you questioning whether Tuggeranong is indeed a lower socio economic part of Canberra because I thought that was pretty well known too :unsure:

The OP asked if there was a general anti-breastfeeding climate in Canberra and I think it is fair to say there will always be more of an anti-breastfeeding sentiment in areas where breastfeeding is less prevalent so no it cannot be generalised to the whole of Canberra.