KnightsofNi

What age is best for a dollhouse?

KnightsofNi

I was thinking of getting DD a doll house for her 4th birthday in May (one of the big ones that stand about a metre high).

But I have also been thinking that it will be better as a Christmas present. We normally get bigger presents for Christmas and smaller presents for birthdays. The dollhouse will be 'equal' to the train table DS will get for Christmas.

But will she be starting to get too old for it by 4 1/2? What age are kids normally interested in doll houses to? If kids normally play with dollhouses only to about 5, I will get it for her birthday. But if they normally play with them until 7, I might hold off until Christmas.

Any feedback?

Ferelsmegz

My DD was 4 last November and she got one for Xmas.

She just loves it! Her and my niece (4 on Friday) always play with it together and my niece is getting one for her birthday. :)

KnightsofNi

She will definately love it, whether she gets it for her birthday or for Christmas.

But I guess, I am trying to see if I can hold off on buying it for Christmas, as that will work out better logistically. So it depends on how long she is likely to use it for.

~Jolly_F~

My kids love the dolls house (and I dont mind having a play either). My DD will be 9 this year and I think she will use it for a little while yet and it is always something her and her friends enjoy playing with. We have had it for 4 years and it is still going strong. It has days where it is a family house, sometimes a hotel, a boarding school, hairdresser and cafe. Just to name a few. It has been one of the best items we have purchased.

Rumply

I had a dollhouse as a child and I used mine for years and years. It was one of my favourite toys.

Jenflea

I'm nearly 38 and I'd love one!

After you get over the 'dollhouse' phase, you become a serious miniature enthusiast and if space permits, become hardcore about perfect reproductions in miniature :)

Or maybe that was me. Sadly I don't have room to build a REAL doll house, thought there is one in my garage lol, waiting to be built one day.

I\ll get my daughter one at maybe 3, she's got a plastic ELC Happyland castle she likes to play with, but it doesn't have proper rooms as such.

Anemonefish

My DD is 8 and still loves doll houses. I got her one of those huge ones for Christmas as it was half price and I knew she'd love it for her Barbie dolls. She plays with it a lot.

Mummzy

I gave my son the fisher price loving family doll house, funiture and people and he loves it. I bought it for when I was doing family daycare. I saw him playing with the exact same one at his childcare centre. So pulled mine out. I get's played with more than his thomas stuff. :D

Oh forgot to add he's 3.

KnightsofNi

So what you are all saying is, that Christmas will be fine? Or will I just be robbing her of 7 months of doll house fun?

If it helps you make the decision for me :tongue: , if I get her the doll house for Christmas, she will most likely get a bunch of dress ups for her birthday.

Edited by hopeforthefuture

Harmonica

I think 4 is a great age - perfect age to appreciate and play with something like that!

laridae

My nieces both got a doll house last christmas - they are both nearly 6. Having said that - my DD who is 18mo also likes playing with them - I think they are a toy that can last a long time.

Babby and Roo

I think you should give it to her for her birthday, she might as well get 7 months extra use out of it, even if she will be playing with it until age 9 or whatever!

But then I like to get the maximum life span out of toys wherever I can! (especially big expensive ones)

cinnabubble

Our daughter got one at four. Now she's five it just gathers dust.

Handsfull

My two got one for Christmas when they were 5 and it has been well worth it. They love it and now they invent stories around it with their dolls or LPS.

The large ones are great and we got ours from Target for around $120 and its weathered their storm!

GL and happy dollhousing.

laridae

I just noticed on the big w website that they have some fairly cheaply.

LynnyP

My daughter had a biggish one at four that she played with for a year then lost interest. At 7 she started buying Sylvanian families and plays with them all the time. So depending on the dolls house you might get some years out of it.

But buy it for her birthday. She has no idea what makes a "big" present and what makes a "small" present.

dlee

She definitely won't be too old for it at Christmas so it's really up to you to decide when you give it. If it's a good quality one, it'll last her years and years anyway. For example, I think I got a big, solid wooden one for Christmas when I was 3 or 4 and used it until I was 13. Even after I stopped playing "dolls", I loved to sit in front of it and redesign the house. After that, I used it as a bookcase in my room (it's about 1.5 metres tall) and I think it's sitting on the veranda at my dad's house now, waiting for when I have a kid who will want to play with it.

Guest CaptainOblivious

Our kids have been into them since they were about 2.5. Our 5 year old still loves playing with it and I suspect she will for some time.

We tend to pack it up and then pull it out again at various intervals because it takes up so much room.

kez71

If you get it for her birthday with just some basic furniture and dolls then you can get lots of extra goodies for it at christmas!!