Hayls

Reaction to bandaid - what to do... picture

Hayls

DS#2 had a small graze (like carpet burn) on his back (big bit in the middle) and we have been treating it for the past week, but he has had a bad reaction to the bandaid,

can anyone give me pointers on what to put on it

IMAG0197.jpg

jactela

keep all adhesives off it and regularly apply sorbolene. watch it isnt getting infected. Keep it clean and dry and it will eventually heal. May take a while though

MacDiddy

Poor thing. I get this. it can be incredibly itchy, so something to ease that is best. But you also want to make sure it doesn't sting.

I usually just leave mine, but I am a grown up. Maybe try some paw paw cream?

Mine takes quite a while to go away, and is only caused by fabric type band aids. The plastic ones are generally ok forme.

**Xena**

I get that sometimes too. I keep it dry and rub lucas paw paw ointment onto it :)

Guest Cathode

I am the same with any sticky plasters.

I use Lucas Paw paw ointment.

Hayls

Thanks for the replies, i have been putting savlon and dettol cream on it, alternating morning evening, this is the first full day without dressing, I haven't got any paw paw but ill go out and get it, I didn't think of that, definitely don't want to sting anymore,

poor lil munchkin, he hasn't had a reaction before, i had normal bandaid transformer bandaids, (so much for superheros healing powers)

WildWhirl

Its weird the shape of the rash isn't in the shape of the bandaid - so it doesn't seem like its a reaction to the glue but maybe something on the gauze of the bandaid.

I would put some cream on for one day just to help get off the sicky glue, and then just leave it open with nothing on it to dry out and get back to normal. The rashes I get from bandaids sometimes take a week to fade away completely - but I am allergic to the glue/latex and get a rash in the exact shape of the bandaid, which then turns to a dermatitis type of rash.

Edited by tazcan

Pupalumps

Edited by Pupalumps

SeaPrincess

Dd recently had a reaction like that to the gauze of the band aid. She wanted a fresh one on her non-existent scratch but I didn't put one on and she won't be having that brand again. I just left it uncovered and it was gone in a few days.

Edited for stupid iPad auto-correct.

R

Edited by shmach

Megs25

Hmmm...I would actually see a Dr about that one.The photo is a bit blurry but it's hard to tell. An allergy to a bandaid would most likely cover the area of the bandaid. That looks patchy and like it has pimple type bumps in it.

It looks a little like a staph infection.

fillyjonk

My BIL reacted to a bandaid once, and now every time he drinks alcohol the patch of skin where the bandaid was flares up bright red (and bandaid shaped).

Btimes2

It looks like a staph infection to me.

My son had one on his knee a month ago. I have a photo I just can't work out how to upload it. The wound in your photo looks identical to my sons.

I'd go to the doctor to check.

CSF

Could it be a reaction to the latex in the bandaid? I have to buy latex-free ones as l am allergic so will flare up if l use them.

Mintjelly

Please use caution in using the Paw Paw cream you are discussing. It has a petro chemical base, and if your child has sensitive skin, he will most likely react to that cream on top of an already irritated site.

Both myself and my children react to bandaid's in this fashion. Is it weepy? I would be keeping it dry only, at this stage and perhaps a dose of antihistamine if/when it is extremely itchy.

If the redness has not gone out of it within 24 hours after keeping it dry, I would then see a doctor to ensure it has not become infected.

Give him a huge hug from me.

Waratah

My daughter and son are extremely allergic to elastopath or any type of brown tape. They get the shape of the tape on them. My daughter was in hospital recently and the hospital put the brown tape and the reaction she got from the tape was horrific.

ytt
Hmmm...I would actually see a Dr about that one.The photo is a bit blurry but it's hard to tell. An allergy to a bandaid would most likely cover the area of the bandaid. That looks patchy and like it has pimple type bumps in it.

It looks a little like a staph infection.

I agree.

Looks like school sores or impetigo, my kids have had it. I react to tape but it is all over where the tape touches.

Pop-to-the-shops

I would vote for infection too.... No rash where the tape is.

And some people reacte to savlon too, it has clorohexadine in it.

I'd go to a dr.

mummabear

I think that looks like an infection too. Hope you get on top of it soon!

Melissa4444

Sorry. Haven't read responses.

Sam had a small bite on his face when he was a year or so old. He wouldn't leave it alone, so when he fell asleep, we put a small hypo allergenic bandaids. When he woke up, he took it off. The entire area the bandaid had been looked like that photo.

Over the next several months, every type of band aid/adhesive we used made him worse. He ended up having the entire right cheek basically a crater. It took months and months to heal.

We now simply don't put band aids on him - nothing adhesive near his face at all.

Edit: I have gone back and read replies and looked again at the picture. Sorry. I agree with PPs. It isn't where the adhesive was. Sammy's was definitely caused by the adhesive. This one in the photo doesn't seem to be. I'd be thinking infection more.

I hope it mends soon. I'd be cautious with what creams etc I put on it. Sam screamed in pain when any of them touched his face.

(Family history. I can't put any kind of facial cleanser/ointment/cream on my face. I burn and it hurts for hours and hours. Can only guess that that's what was happening with Sammy).

Edited by Melissa4444

Alina0210

Im allergic to that sticky tape they use when you get a blood test, and some other bandages... pawpaw ointment works well, and once its clean and dry i use that spray bandaid stuff.

wenchwitch

From the photo it doesn't look like he has reacted to the band aid. Looks like there is some infection there so I would see your gp. In the meantime I would bathe it in salt water and keep it open to air.

tibs

My daughter and I both get a rash from bandaids but always in the shape of the bandaid, covering pretty much the whole area where the sticky bits were.

Mercurial

It looks more like a impetigo (school sores). You'll need a trip to the GP for some antibiotic cream. Be very careful and wash your hands well after you've touched it - highly contagious.