Sign in to follow this  
Jyles _3

5 kindy classes at local public school

kyrrie

Both of my kids have just over 100 kids in their year group. Everyone seems to know them and they seem to know most of the kids in the school as well. Schools are just not impersonal places whatever the size.

This year's kindy is larger though, there are 6 classes this year.

happymum2many

we have 2 public schools in the same suburb,as well as a private school.

One public school caters for Kindy - yr 2. Last year,there was 5 kindy classes,and 6 PP classes,all with 23 kids in each.

The other school this year caters for yr 1 - yr 7.Which would have lightened the load of yr classes,now they are spread over 2 schools.This is the first year for this to happen.Last year,the 2nd school catered for yrs 2 -7,and the other school was K - yr1.

This unfortunately means that many families have to commute between 2 schools to drop off and pick up kids.And strangely enough,both schools have the same start and end times for the day,so there is always a child that has to wait to be picked up.

Next year,both schools will be K- yr 7 hopefully.I have all of my kids at the one school this year,so much easier!

liveworkplay
but I can't help thinking that having anything over 100 kids in one year will make them less "special" and to the school, and more just a number and part of a system...? What do you think?
I agree. Our school has two classes of each year group. I would be happy if a school had 3, but no more.

Jyles _3

Thanks guys, your replies have put me at ease.

I think part of my niggling concern is that this school, and others in the area, just don't seem to have the space to make room for all these baby boom kids. They were pottering along with just 2 classes for each grade for years. They're converting store rooms and reallocating playgrounds, but they can't actually create more land. I just hope the Principals and others have good strategies in place to create a warm community feel despite the boom.

JRA

Our local primary now has 6 classes, it was 5 before the GFC.

peking homunculus
I think also the recommended class sizes are a lot smaller then they used to be, I remember 30-40 kids in my kindergarten class.

When my Mum started teaching in the '50's, there were more than 50 kids in a kindy class

Dub74

Our school has approx 1000 students total, and in that there are 4 prep classes each with 20-25 children.

judy_

DS has gone from a school with 2 classes per year (and only 1.5 at higher levels) to SEVEN per year. His school is huge!

It doesn't really seem to matter that much. They break the school into distinct groups and the different groups hardly see each other. Kindy and Prep, Year 1 and 2, Year 3-6.

Sports days are separate for each year group with some 160 kids per year.

It is a great school and there is a very long waiting list to get in (we live in Dubai).