Sign in to follow this  
Hannah-Banana

Prams

Hannah-Banana

[/size]Hi Guys,

This is my first pregnancy and am overwhelmed with all thepram options. From what I can gather there is not really a difference betweenthe 3 and 4 wheel, and it really only comes down to personal preference. Wouldyou agree?

I’m really liking the travel systems where the baby capsulecomes out of the car and clicks into the pram. I think this will be superhelpful. The only thing though, is that it appears bub grows out of the capsuleat about 6 months and then you have to get a car seat. I guess this makes thetravel system a more expensive option. So far I like the look of the stridertravel system. This is it:

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/steelcraft-strider-dlx-travel-system.html

It would be great to hear other peoples advice and opinions on buying a pram. Would be good tosee a link to a photo also so we all know what everyone is talking about.

Thanks again.

LCog

Hi there,

You are right about the difference between 3 and 4 wheelers, there really isn't any, it's just personal preference.

I bought the steelcraft strider pram and capsule with my first and have to say that I absolutely love it. Wasn't sure whether it was worth buying the capsule but knew we wanted more than one baby so it would be used again. Lovely to be able to have bubs fall asleep in the car and not have to wake them when you get to wherever you're going, just clip into the pram and off you go. Didn't buy the bassinet, I thought that was going a bit too far.

Now we're about to have number 2 the capsule will be used again and I just have to purchase the second seat attachment.

I found it really easy to steer etc, only drawback is it is quite wide and so not great for all shops.

fozzer

Hi there,

I had the strider also, didnt buy the car capsule (only because they dont last long in it) but got the bassinet attachment as a gift, again this didnt last long used it 10 times max)...it was a great pram..but i was silly enough to buy the model before 3 wheeler strider (which didnt have toddler attachment) prefered the look of the tri 3 wheel vs 4 and didnt even think about bub no 2....der.....very blonde moment. Your right though 3 or 4 is preference and both operate the same.

At 14mths i sold it on ebay they hold their value though i sold it for 300 and paid 380 on sale so no big deal...

Ended up buying a maclaren...they are fantastic lay all the way back and have multiple angle adjustments and 5 kg...after you have the big pram (even though the strider is 11kg or something) you realise how great and easy these lightweight strollers are...especially to get them in and out of the car.

Now with 2 though im going to wait until bub comes and either continue using the stroller or if i think my DD needs to still be in a stroller as well i will prob buy the strider and toddler attachment and then sell it again on ebay after im done.

I would recommend spend some time on trialling these in the store I was excited and rushed into it. god luck, at the end its personal pref...

Chelara

There are some differences with 3 and 4 wheelers- 3 wheelers cannot have reversible handles though I think you can get ones where the whole seat changes, the 3 wheelers often have a wider wheelbase to make them stable- so can be hard for navigating shops etc, I think 3 wheelers make better jogging or 4wd prams and 3 wheelers can also tip over a lot more easily than 4 wheelers.

I went with a 4 wheeler for DD, absolutely no regrets and will be using it for this one as well.

finallyready

I had a travel system stroller (chicco). It was fantastic in the early days for transferring in and out of the car but I have to be honest both my daughter and I hated the stroller underneath when it came to using it alone

It just had funny straps, she always sat awkwardly in it and it handled like a dodgy shopping trolley!

I persisted for a while, thinking that I could struggle along until the time came for a double pram. I bought a smart trike for my daughter's first birthday and almost exclusively used that for getting around (but not ideal).

Ultimately I bought a new pram (icandy peach) recently that is fantastic for my toddler now, but it has the option of being a double pram (need to purchase converter packs) etc. It can also work as a travel system (of course not with the capsule I already own!).

Like so many things it is trial and error but I would recommend having a look at prams or strollers that might be able to grow with your family, either with baby pods, or toddler seats/skates etc.

Good luck! Talk to your friends, in particular those with a similar lifestyle - eg do you need to drive to get to the shops, or are you likely to pop down the who sand grab a few bags of groceries on foot and need a big basket to carry it all home in etc. That could make the decision between a light and easy umbrella fold stroller versus a buggy style that needs to be pulled apart to fit in the boot.

DyingofLove

Well what we have decided to do (this is our first too) is go with a Bugaboo Bee which will be our lightweight/shopping/going out pram and we will be hiring a capsule for 6 months that fits onto this pram as well. After that we will purchase a car seat suitable from 6 months to 4 years.

We've also been lucky to have been given a more heavy-duty 3 wheel jogging type pram which we can use for taking baby for walks with our dogs etc.

sks_2009

With DD I bought a Maclaren XLR, which was great, but at 7kg it was a little heavy and the frame was big, as I'm often lugging it on and off buses and taxis. So I got a Maclaren Quest as well, and this has been fantastic. I used the XLR as my walking stroller and the Quest as my traveling stroller.

This time around, my DD will be 2.5 when this baby is born, and while she can work for a while, it's a 2km walk to our shops, which we do around 3 times a week, and it's too far for her to walk, particularly in the heat. So we've bought a Baby Jogger City Select, so I can put the maxi cosi capsule in it and DD can sit too. It is a lot bigger and heavier than the Maclaren XLR, but I'll be using it as a walking pram, and the Quest and Baby bjorn/Ergo for traveling around.

Shell&Josh

Hmm i like you op although this is my second pregnancy but have to start from scratch.. I have no idea what pram, ive been looking but yet still ahve no idea on what to get.

Bubble&Pickle

Hi All,

DH and I will be getting a BabyJogger CityMini Single, (www.babyjogger.com/city_mini_lp.aspx ), it's lightweight, folds into almost nothing and handles like a dream. Even the double pram fits through pretty much any doorway.

I've been a nanny for the past 7 years and have worked for around 9 families in that time, (that's a lot of prams!) and I've put all these prams through their paces, believe me! The CityMini Double is far and away the best I've used - even compared to the singles.

The CityMini 2011 model lies almost flat (more than the previous model, which was suitable for newborns already), and is so easy to drop back you can do it while you're walking. It's also really easy to lift back up again. The foot-break goes on first time-everytime, which is reassuring, and the sunshade is really big. One of my bosses has given me her BabyBjorn which I'll be using for the first few months, as we live really close to the shops, so probably won't put bub in the pram much in the beginning.

Take a day to test drive all the prams you see - the staff really won't mind - and try folding/unfolding/lifting/carrying and generally using all the prams (almost) as you would if it was yours. That's how you'll find the one that's right for you.

Miss Kiwi

I got the Baby Jogger City Elite which is a 3 wheeler.

It depends on how you will use your pram, are you going for outdoor walks on various terrains or just driving to the shops and walking around there.

If you want to go for proper walks/jogging then you definitely need a 3wheeler, 4 wheelers are not recommended for this use.

But 4wheelers are generally more compact and better for throwing on the car to go shopping.

For me I live near the beach and am a 5min walk to town so I will be walking everywhere I dont plan on using the car much at all. Therefore a 3wheeler best suited my needs. I am yet to use it (baby still cooking!). However, I did lots and lots of research and decided this was the best 3 wheeler on the market and is still very very compact compared to other brands. It literally folds in half! Plus everyone raves about the Baby Jogger brand in general so I don't think you can go wrong with any of their prams.

Good luck OP it is worthwhile doing your research I think:)

Sign in to follow this  

Announcements