Sign in to follow this  
FarmyGirl

Teeth..... 6 year old.... adult tooth growing behind baby tooth....

FarmyGirl

I feel like with every stage my children go through I'm learning something new!

I just checked my 6 year old's mouth - he's been a bit sad that the other kids have lost teeth but he hasn't yet! I usually brush his teeth - but in the last week or so he's started doing it more - so I hadn't had a good look in his mouth.

He has an adult tooth growing behind his baby tooth (bottom middle right) it's a good few mms behind the baby tooth. His baby tooth is wobbly.

Has anyone had something similar? Do I need to be getting it checked with the dentist?

blinko

This happened with my DD also. The baby tooth eventually fell out and the adult tooth moved forward into the gap.

She too was older, she was 7 when her first tooth came out.

Guest holy_j

That's pretty normal as far as i can judge from my own kids, sometimes the adult teeth come in before the tooth falls out, but make sure the tooth falls out soon.

I had two in which the baby tooth did not fall out, and the adult tooth came in behind. The school "dentist" said it was not necessary to remove one, but I had the other out.

Wrong, and it ended up displacing the teeth around it and the teeth on the bottom- 8 years later, needed orthodontics for something that was preventable as the other side in which the tooth was pulled out was absolutely fine.

But as its wobbly should be a non issue as long as it comes out soon.

*CalamityJane*

Similar thing happened to my niece PP. School dentist said not to worry about the adult teeth growing behind her 2 front teeth and she ended up with displaced adult teeth, a mortal fear of dentists and a plate to fix it (with bills to match). The private dentist she ended up seeing was horrified. Her adult teeth were nearly full grown though, I think it's pretty normal for them to grow in a little before the baby teeth fall out.

Meerbaby

I had that happen and, the same thing has happened with my kids. The only problem I ever had was when my top eye teeth didn't fall out themselves but, a trip to the school dentist sorted that problem out quickly.

Bob-the-skull

i posted about this last week :D

my 7yr old has two growing in behind his bottom front teeth... one tooth fell out wednesday, the other one is wobbly now.

i spoke to the dentist and they said as long as the baby teeth are wobbly then its fine as the natural movement of the mouth and tongue will move the teeth where they need to be

MuppetGirl
i spoke to the dentist and they said as long as the baby teeth are wobbly then its fine as the natural movement of the mouth and tongue will move the teeth where they need to be

Precisely what just happened with us. The dentist said the adult teeth will grow in to the gap and to have the teeth removed prematurely will probably just give the child a fear of dentists in the future.

My DD turns 5 in a few days and this happened to her a couple of weeks ago.

Bubblybear

I've got one happening as well. I hope what the others said doesn't happen to us because the adult tooth is quite displaced. :( The dentist we saw was also not worried.

liveworkplay

Google "shark tooth". Its quite common and in most cases, will not cause any problems.

FarmyGirl

Thanks everyone! I'll google "shark tooth" - thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

I feel like I was just getting things worked out with these kids.... and then we enter a new stage!!

I'll keep an eye on the baby tooth and encourage him to wobble it more!!

:)

Bob-the-skull
Thanks everyone! I'll google "shark tooth" - thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

I feel like I was just getting things worked out with these kids.... and then we enter a new stage!!

I'll keep an eye on the baby tooth and encourage him to wobble it more!!

:)

let him know about the tooth fairy... they got my boy to get his tooth from barely moving to out in 24hrs!

*Mands*

My DD had shark teeth for her bottom teeth. Dentist told us it was totally normal.

FarmyGirl
let him know about the tooth fairy... they got my boy to get his tooth from barely moving to out in 24hrs!

I'll have to have that chat with him today! He doesn't believe in Santa (he's worked out it's us .... not sure if that was to do with the huge amount of snooping through boxes last Christmas and he found the Santa stash!). So I'll have to see if the tooth fairy story will fly! ;)

MARsmum

This happened to my DD1 recently. It was amazing to watch the adult tooth move forward once the baby tooth came out. When I first saw it I thought we would be spending a lot at the orthodontist however it is now perfectly in place where her baby tooth was!

bjk76

I had some 'shark teeth' as a kid; they moved forward when my baby teeth fell out and I have had no orthodontic problems. - I have naturally straight teeth.

sophiasmum

This happened to me as a child, unfortunately the adult tooth grew quite far behind the baby tooth & never aligned with the others. I could have had braces to straighten it but couldn't be bothered for 1 tooth, luckily it's the bottom so not as noticable.

Personally I would be wobbling that tooth constantly until it comes out quick stix.

FarmyGirl

Thanks everyone. When I googled... it said that if it's not out within 2 weeks to see a dentist. Might just give the dentist a call today and see what they suggest.

He's wiggling it a bit... hopefully it's enough!!

Oh, and the tooth fairy gives $2 for each tooth. $100 would be better... but she can only probably afford $2...! ;)

Bob-the-skull
Thanks everyone. When I googled... it said that if it's not out within 2 weeks to see a dentist. Might just give the dentist a call today and see what they suggest.

He's wiggling it a bit... hopefully it's enough!!

Oh, and the tooth fairy gives $2 for each tooth. $100 would be better... but she can only probably afford $2...! ;)

hehe... she gives $3 here for the first tooth lost, the $2 for every one after...

Bob-the-skull

just thought i would put in an update...

a week and a half after the teeth came up behind DS1's baby teeth he had only still lost the one tooth so he had a dentist appt today.

she put a gel on his gum, then secretly prepared a local needle which she injected with no pain due to the gel.

then let that all set in before using a grippy thing to pull the other tooth out. no being "put under" needed.

No pain at all from DS1, he actually thought the whole thing was funny.

LifeGoesOn

Glad to hear this is normal... DS has had a bottom wobbly tooth for a while now, only noticed this morning the adult tooth is already out, but behind the baby tooth!

I just hope the baby tooth falls out and we don't need a trip to the dentist... :sick:

Bob-the-skull
Glad to hear this is normal... DS has had a bottom wobbly tooth for a while now, only noticed this morning the adult tooth is already out, but behind the baby tooth!

I just hope the baby tooth falls out and we don't need a trip to the dentist... :sick:

the only reason our dentist recommended coming in only after a week and a half is that it wasnt moving and they are closing down in 3 weeks and wont be open til february, and whilst we could use a different clinic DS1 has anxiety about changes and we werent sure if he would freak just at the thought of the tooth being removed.

JennyH

I know it's dealt with now, but my DS had this and we had a routine appointment scheduled for the school dentist at that stage...

She said all fine, as you've been told. But she also said it takes longer to wiggle out baby teeth as they don't wobble as much, and it can make a gap between baby and adult tooth that catches food etc and is harder to clean. Then they remove baby tooth, for cleaning rather than straightening purposes.

JennyH