Sign in to follow this  
JDM

5 month old going from Bassinet to cot.

JDM

So, it would appear that as a well meaning, first time mum, I've made a bit of a rod for my own back :o

DD, who turns 5 months tomorrow has always slept in our room in a bassinet (sometimes co-sleeping but mainly in bassinet).

She is usually put in the bassinet awake, and if she needs it (which is not always) I rock her off to sleep (with the harmonious sound of the vacuum playing from the ipod).

She wears a wrap me up and and also uses a dummy to go to sleep.

Now she's getting too big for the bassinet, I need to put her in her cot, which is in a different room. I tried this last night and she refused to go to sleep for about 40 mins.

I put her into her bassinet, and within 5 minutes of gentle rocking she was asleep. For 11 hours.

I'm just not sure how to go about the change. She obviously has quite a few sleep associations and I don't know which order to get rid of them in first.

She could probably last another month in the bassinet (we are moving house in 2 weeks, so prob best to leave it all until then?) but then she will really need the space of the cot.

Anyone got any advice??

Oh, also worth mentioning, I'm not keen on CIO.

xXx

ubermum

Wait until you move, everything has to change then anyway.

When you do, put her in the cot and pat and shush her through the bars until she settles (I sat on the floor). Leave the room. Return and continue the pat and shush to settle, but don't pick her up (unless totally necessary like vomit, poo or hysterical obviously). No talking and no eye contact. When settled leave the room again and continue this until she is asleep. If she wakes, and is unsettled, repeat.

That is the method taught at sleep school. No crying it out required. You are there, they just remain in the cot and you don't give them extra stimulation with eye contact or talking.

Edited by ubermum

IRISH1980

I feel your pain.....I made the same move 2 weeks ago when DD was 5.5 months. First night worked well but went downhill from there. First issue was free hands so arms flailing all over the place (we also used wrap me up). Then when she was getting used to it she got her first cold and so was all blocked up. Cold is now gone but next issue she has learnt to roll back to front and keeps doing this when trying to sleep and get stuck!!!!

Basically we are now having to rock her for most naps and put her in cot. I am going to try and go back to settling in cot today - like you I also was able to put in awake with dummy in wrap me up in the basinette and she would mostly self settle for 11 hours with 1 feed and maybe replacing dummy few times.

Last night was an improvement - we put her down at 6.30 - we had to keep going in to resettle until 7.30. She slept until 11 pm - I fed her and put straight back down until 5.30am.

We still have the issue where she picks the dummy out like a toy and flings accross room!

My lil one is 6 months today so we are going to be a bit tougher - i.e. let cry for a few minutes, less PU/PD. also hoping she masters front to back roll real soon!

I guess hang in there - better to go through this now then a few months down the line but my god its hard when u are used to having a decent sleep!!!

having-fun

5 months is still very little, so new sleep associations can and will be learnt.

I just changed my 5 month old into the cot. Have you tried the cot for day sleeps only for a little while?

How about patting in your arms until sleepy but not asleep then putting her down and leaving the room? DS1 and DS2 usually went to sleep easier when I wasn't in the room at this age.

My DS has never slept 11 hours though, so I expect to be woken in the night at the moment. I would find it hard to change to cot if I lost such a good block of sleep as well!

Good luck!

Laam

Does your bassinet lift off it's stand? We had trouble moving DS and ended up putting the bassinet in the cot for a few days till he was used to the new room then took if away.

But if you think she will fit in the bassinet till the move I would just wait till then and put her straight into the cot .

JDM

This is what I thought, I figure she will probably be out of whack with the move so it might be the best time to do it, thanks :D

I feel your pain.....I made the same move 2 weeks ago when DD was 5.5 months. First night worked well but went downhill from there. First issue was free hands so arms flailing all over the place (we also used wrap me up)

I'm so worried about taking her out of the wrap me up, we've used it from about 2 weeks because she hated swaddling, and she knows that when it goes on, it's sleep time. She manages to take her dummy out with it on, it's only going to get worse once she has it off, not to mention the face grabbing!!

My DS has never slept 11 hours though, so I expect to be woken in the night at the moment. I would find it hard to change to cot if I lost such a good block of sleep as well!

Oh, she still has a DF, wakes up a few times for dummy and sometimes a feed, so it's not like I'm getting masses of unbroken sleep, don't worry :D

I'm more worried about just creating a healthier sleep habit for her and also, I'm a bit sad to have her out of my room because I'm rather attached! :cry:

Does your bassinet lift off it's stand? We had trouble moving DS and ended up putting the bassinet in the cot for a few days till he was used to the new room then took if away.

But if you think she will fit in the bassinet till the move I would just wait till then and put her straight into the cot .

Unfortunately not, I was thinking I could do that but it's connected :(

FizzlingFireboxes

I started by putting DS in his cot for day sleeps, then after awhile put him in there for a night sleep and by that time he was used to the cot.

Goodluck.

bearosauraus

You might be surprised how well she takes to the change. My DS slept the same in his cot as he did in the bassinet - it was just mummy who was worried about how it would go so slept so lightly for the first few nights!!!

JDM
You might be surprised how well she takes to the change. My DS slept the same in his cot as he did in the bassinet - it was just mummy who was worried about how it would go so slept so lightly for the first few nights!!!

Hahaha I'm sure you're right!!! I'm a big sook!!

heffalumpsnwoozles

Yeah, try the cot just for day sleeps to get her used to the space. We did that for a couple of weeks with DD1, she moved there for night sleeps without too much hassle at all. She was only 3 months when we moved her though, and we had no choice as our bassinet was a 3 month rental.

With DD2 we moved house when she was 8 months and planned to move her into the cot the same day we moved. Unfortunately we couldn't find all the cot pieces the first night so she stayed in the cradle in her own room (she had been in our room in the old house) for the first week before we moved her to a cot. So just a warning if you want to use that opportunity to put her in the cot, make sure you know where all the pieces are!

LittleMermaid

When you do, put her in the cot and pat and shush her through the bars until she settles (I sat on the floor). Leave the room. Return and continue the pat and shush to settle, but don't pick her up (unless totally necessary like vomit, poo or hysterical obviously). No talking and no eye contact. When settled leave the room again and continue this until she is asleep. If she wakes, and is unsettled, repeat.

That is the method taught at sleep school. No crying it out required. You are there, they just remain in the cot and you don't give them extra stimulation with eye contact or talking.

I agree with this statement cos for us we had our DD in her cot from birth & didn't wrap her so I can not help you. Hope it all goes well for & with the move :)

hmmph

Our six month old is still in our room, (more for me than her!) but our plan is to put her in her room for her day time sleeps first. We have music we use as a sleep cue, so that will happen in her room, and we've also put a poster up in our room near her cot, that we will move to her room. She also has one of those fabric rag type animals that is in her cot. Basically we are trying to have a whole heap of things that signify her 'sleep space' that will move with her when I'm ready to cope with her move!

Magenta Ambrosia

I would put her in the cot for day sleeps and then when you move night sleeps too.

Remember it will take a week at the most to retrain a sleep issue - you just have to be consistent and have nerves of steal. The outcome is worth it.

Try a sleeping bag instead of the wrap me up - deal with the dummy issue later

Sasha Jensen

Luckily for us we made the change in the middle of our baby's 4-5 month sleep regression - he was sleeping so badly at the time anyway that I decided we had nothing to lose making the change. As it happened he slept slightly better in the cot than in the bassinet!

I also let him play in his cot a few times during the day before making the change. He was already too big for wrapping so we didn't have that issue.

JDM
Our six month old is still in our room, (more for me than her!) but our plan is to put her in her room for her day time sleeps first. We have music we use as a sleep cue, so that will happen in her room, and we've also put a poster up in our room near her cot, that we will move to her room. She also has one of those fabric rag type animals that is in her cot. Basically we are trying to have a whole heap of things that signify her 'sleep space' that will move with her when I'm ready to cope with her move!

I totally get you. I really don't want to move her out but I jut know the longer I leave it, the harder it will be, and we are planning on having another child next year so that would bring all kinds of issues up, unless I was down with a family bed, and I think DH would die if I suggested that :happy:

So just a warning if you want to use that opportunity to put her in the cot, make sure you know where all the pieces are!

Very good advice- thank you!!!

So the general consensus is to try and move her into the cot for daytime sleeps and then when we move try it at night. I think this is what I will do.

Today I've decided the first thing to go is the rocking though. Once I can get her out of that habit, the rest will come- sound fair?

lucky 2

Since you will be using the cot in the new house I'd not change anything else other than working with transition to the cot now.

I'd want to change as little as possible when the move actually happens so if you work on transition to the cot now then nothing will need to change at the new house, at least for the short term.

I'd leave dummy, wrap and routine (rocking etc) as is and only change the place of sleep. Perhaps can you use the cot sheets in the bassinette from now or use the bassinette linen in the cot? You'll get there, don't despair.

I wouldn't try to move the sleeping place out of its usual place though, ie keep bub in the same location, only changing the sleep surface.

All the best.

eta I did post before checking the later posts, I can see you have all sorts of advice :D, to be expected, do what feels right and see how bub responds, you can only make it up as you go along like the rest of us.

littlemissmessy

Don't panic just yet, it was only the first night. It will be a big change for her, going from your room to a strange room to a cot as well. Perhaps just put her in there for day sleeps so she can see the room and get used to it, and continue in the bassinet for another few nights. Also, what I did to settle my DS before moving was use the cot bedding for his day sleeps, eg, put the bumper on my bed and let him fall asleep there so he got used to seeing the bumper before he went into his cot.

JDM
Don't panic just yet, it was only the first night. It will be a big change for her, going from your room to a strange room to a cot as well.

I know, I wasn't even going to try it until we moved but I'd been watching a baby sleep dvd and I was a bit eager to get it all started after that lol

Thanks for your advice :D

I'd leave dummy, wrap and routine (rocking etc) as is and only change the place of sleep. Perhaps can you use the cot sheets in the bassinette from now or use the bassinette linen in the cot?

The only problem with this is the rocking, I can't rock her in the cot, so I've decided to try and stop the rocking to begin with, because I think she relies on that a lot!!!

Thanks for your advice as well luckytwo :D

lucky 2

You can rock a cot if you really have to (personal experience), desperate times call for desperate measures!

I hope things go well and you wont need to.

having-fun

I forgot to say that with DS1 I also started by placing the bassinet into his room.

We travelled a lot so he was used to sleeping in all different environments. So he was no problems to transfer actually. It was probably more me not wanting to move him out of my room.

DS2 transferred to his cot without any concerns. Actually he sleeps better in his cot.

But his cot is in my room :)

hmmph
On 07/11/2011 at 9:31 AM, hmmph said:

Ha! Going back through old posts... She stayed in our room for 18 months 😂😂

• Haha 1