Sandra

April 2010 Parent Group #25

mccarro

sjm - that's awful! Big hugs! Could it be his teeth hurting him? Or nightmares waking him up, and he's too distressed to go back to sleep himself? Or the temperature in his room? These have been the 3 things we've identified as having disturbed Atticus' sleep recently. That and getting his arms stuck inside his sleeping bag, so I've had to sew the arm holes up a little so he can't slip his arms in anymore.

It's hard but maybe you'll just have to let him cry a little. Maybe a minute at first, but put him back into bed, and then leave again, wait 2 minutes and do the same and he'll eventually get the hint? I don't really know though - Atticus is still in a cot so we haven't had to deal with the getting out of bed himself yet.

Hi to everyone else! Hope everything is going well for you all!

AFM - I'm now 15+1weeks, 2 days past the gestation at which I lost Leo. It's been a really difficult couple of weeks, with some spotting and the inevitable panic that has accompanied that. But things are looking good, and bubs is very active - I have felt kicks already and I have an anterior placenta! I have another scan on Monday to double check everything's ok, and hopefully I'll be able to find out the sex. So all is going well right now.

xxo Heidi

sjm218

Mccarro - so glad your pregnancy is going well. Panic stations are hard to avoid after a loss. My fabulous ob had me on weekly vistas from 19 weeks just to listen to the heartbeat - such a help, at least I only went a week between checks, it really helped my mind.

Thanks for our advice. I actually did exactly what you suggested the next night and after crying at the door for about 2 minutes, he got back into his bed and went to sleep. The nex night he got out of bed cried at the door for less than a minute and then got back in bed. The night after that he didn't bother getting out of bed. He slept through the last three nights too! Thank goodness. I feel much more rested now.

Charlie is talking up a storm here, stringing 2 and 3 words together an now able to tell us what he wants. He still needs to reminded not to whingevand to use his words, but when reminded he does. Along with that development we are also seeing more temper tantrums. He will lay down on them floor and kick his legs, but luckily he doesn't have much of an attention span and if ignored they only last a minute or two. Let's hope that continues.

He is starting to get a little issuer with food, but fortunately the things he is rejecting are white foods - potato, bread, rice. He loves all things green and orange, so I mash peas, pumpkin or kumara with potato to get him to eat potato. He will eat rice if it has a stir fry sauce on it. H is definitely a fan of spicy foods and strongly flavored foods which is great. His three favourite foods are asparagus, corn on the cob and broccoli. What are your toddlers doing food wise??

Not much else to tell, here's hoping the sleeping continues.

swedaus

HI everyone! just wanted to introduce myself :)

We have just moved here from Sweden (in October last year). I am an Aussie and my hubby is a Brit. Our daughter will be 2 in April and she was born in Sweden so holds both a Swedish and an Aussie passport.

I am working full time and my husband is a full time stay at home Dad for the moment. he is job hunting and when he finds a job we will be investigating our childcare options.

We are living in Altona... anyone else down this way?

I hop you don't mind me hopping in in the middle of your conversation!

Cheers, Lucy

sjm218

Welcome Lucy! I an Aussie living in the USA, dh is American. We have an April 2010 boy and an October 2011 girl. Both are dual citizens USA/australian.

I think you will find this to be a great group. There are a lot of Melbourne ladies in the group.

MegMogandFiestyCat

Hello and Welcome Lucy, I am in South East Melbourne. This is a great group and very supportive.

Sjm I am glad that the sleeping has settled for you, and you are able to get some rest.

Maccro I am glad that all is going well for your preganacy. I remember that feeling of intrepidation as the dates got closer together, it adds a level of stress and panic that isn't really needed but very real and justifiable.

DH came home safely from South Africa, Elizabeth has started school again and yesterday Rhiannan had her first full day at child care on her own, we had done the last 2 weeks as orientation with myself and at times Elizabeth taking her. Rhiannon came home and gave me such a long lovely cuddle, it made me wonder if I had done the right thing or not. Still uncertain there but the wheels are slowly moving in the return to work full time mode aiming for March 15th. I think I am going to end up going part time in the end but I feel that I need to start full time for my sake. Will see how a lunchtime meeting between DH and MIL goes today, she has rung up DH at work requesting a lunch time meeting to discuss the girl's care, esp Rhiannon. I am excluded by location and the fact that Elizabeth is on half days at the moment and I need to pick her up. When I suggested that I go along as well I was told no. I don't like this and feel quiet angry, don't know if it is justified or not but I have been the one who has spent the last 6 months pondering and sorting out the girls care, talking to the grandparents to see what they were interested in, chasing child care and now I am sidelined. I keep telling myself that it would be interesting to see what she has to say, consider, possibly act on, it might be something that I haven't thought of or have the right to ignore. I am trying to be fair but having lots of trouble doing it. Previous history makes me very suspicious of her actions and words.

I have better go, thanks for the download.

Sarah

mccarro

Hi all!

Just a quick update - we are expecting a little girl this time! yay!

Hope you and your littlies are all doing well!

meljb

lovely news mccarro :D

Hi to everyone, hope you are all well. Welcome Lucy.

Not having a great day here today as im unwell and DH is at work. I'll be back to post properly another day

sjm218

Woo hoo mccarro!!!!

sjm218

Just a quick one, Charlie did a poo and two weds in a pot today - how exciting!

mccarro

Go Charlie!

Atticus has done a wee in the potty, one in the toilet, and one in the shower. Still working on when he is going to do a poo though. Please pass on any tips!

sjm218

No tips really, we just have a VERY regular boy!!

MegMogandFiestyCat

Maccrro wonderful news :)

flyingkiwi

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted in ages.

mccarro, wonderful news, I hope everything continues to go well.

sjm218, I'm glad Charlie's sleeping resolved itself, hopefully it has stayed that way. And well done on the beginning of TT. Max has sat on the toilet a couple of times, but nothing has happened yet. I'm not pushing anything for the moment.

Fiestycat, so how did the MIL meeting go in the end? Is your childcare all sorted? Sounds like a lot to juggle, but I'm sure you'll sort it all out and enjoy going back to work.

swedaus, welcome, if you are still reading

Hi everyone else.

AFM, less than 5 weeks to go (I hope). Slowly getting organised, but fairly tired a lot of the time. Luckily Max has settled into long day naps (2 hours today, 2.5 hours yesterday) so I'm getting some sleep then. 2 more weeks at work to go.

Max's language is also coming along, putting 2 or 3 words together.It's so adorable being able to have these conversations with him. He's besotted with his grandfather lately, which is lovely to see. He has his whingey and difficult moments, but is mostly a delight. Just hope he adjusts well to the impending addition and doesn't regress too much!

meljb

Hello!

sjm and mccarro - well done on a promising start to TT! Annabelle likes sitting on her toilet seat, but has yet to get anything done there :)

fiestycat - hope you got the mil issues sorted out

flying kiwi - hope the next 4 weeks passes quickly and easily for you!

Things aren't too bad here, Annabelle is starting to talk a bit more now, we had our 2nd speech pathology appt today and the speechie was pleased with her progress. We've gone from pretty much no words to 20ish in about 6 weeks, she's also making more varied noises. On Australia Day we had soem friends over, their DD has similar speech issues to Annabelle, anyway is parents were sitting around having a chat when we heard a kerfuffle in Matthew's room and out came Annabelle crying and whinging, she then very clearly said "Matthew" while pointing back at his room, so the first time she said her brother's name was whenh she was dobbing :D The reaction of the 4 of us was funny too - we all got excited and clapped her, whatever she was dobbing about got totally ignored in the excitement of a clear word :) Daycare have said she's interacting more with the other kids in her class too instead of just playing independently, hopefully that will help her language skills develop more too.

Hope everyone is well.

flyingkiwi

Well it's gone very quiet in here! Hope everyone is travelling well.

AFM, George Eric arrived on 21 March 10.30pm, 3.98kg and 52cm.

I attempted a VBAC but ended up with another c/s, but we both came out of it just fine. George is very cruisy, I've just got to get him to either drink more or spew less, as he's lost 30g since leaving hospital on Monday.

meljb

Congratulations flying kiwi :wub:

mccarro

Congrats flyingkiwi! Hope George starts drinking for you soon xo

mccarro

It has gone quiet in here...I can imagine now that are littlies are about to turn 2 that all our time is spent chasing after them and trying to ignore (or laughing at, on some occasions) their temper tantrums.

So in my life - I'm 3 weeks into a temporary period of single motherhood. DH has gone away for work for 6 months, with 2 weeks of leave around my due date in July. We're hoping that bubs will make a timely appearance so he's here for the birth. In the meantime, raising a 2 year old while growing a baby on my own is an 'interesting' experience. I'm coping well enough, though I have moments when my tolerance level for 'Atticus just being a 2 year old' is limited.

One thing I have achieved in the last 3 weeks is transitioning Atticus out of his cot. At the moment he's sleeping on his cot mattress on the floor while we wait for his new bed to arrive. I took the opportunity to do it when his bedtime routine disintegrated literally the day DH left, and I was already in the process of honing a new one. It is going well so far, but I don't think I'm going to be getting the consistent 2 hour day time nap out of him anymore.

I'm struggling every night to brush his teeth and get his pyjamas on him. And then every morning to get him dressed. I think his 2-yr old molars are cming through, but I don't dare stick my fingers in his mouth to check.

Atticus's vocab is improving everyday. He's a little parrot, and has started coming out with phrases like 'what's mum doing?', and 'Atticus is cleaning the car'. This morning he toddled off down the hallway saying 'Atti's toe ouch, Atti get ice, Atti's toe ice.' It was so cute. But he refuses to count past 2, despite the fact that I know he knows the numbers up to ten. He gives me the cheekiest look when I try to get him to say three...

I'm now 24 weeks pregnant, and feeling a lot more kicks. I have an anterior placenta this time, so the feeling is quite different to last time. And I've only put on 2kg so far! But I did start 9kg heavier than when I was pregnant with Atticus *blush*. Leo's due date passed at the beginning of the month very quietly. We decided we'd prefer to commemorate him on his actual birthday in September, but it was still a difficult week.

Well I'd better go get the boy from childcare. I hope everyone is well and happy!

~*Lou*~

Hi Ladies

FLYING KIWI - huge CONGRATULATIONS on the safe arrival of baby George, I'm so thrilled for you. I hope he stays a cruisy baby and you do ok juggling 2. Can we have a photo?

mccarro ~ good luck coping with DH being away, you are amazing, I was cross with DH when he was away one week for sales conference when I was 8 mths pregnant (both pregnancies!), let alone 6 mths! I'm sure it was very hard, very sad, on Leo's due date, really a very trying time for you. Big hugs. And yes DD stopped having her nap when we moved out of the cot too, its frustrating because you know they still need it but they won't lie still to fall asleep! (and you really need the break so you can put your feet up too)

BIG HELLO to everyone else :waves:

AFM ~ chemo - done, surgery - done (not fully recovered), planning visit for radiotherapy tomorrow, expect to start that next week or week after, then hormone treatment, and reconstructive surgery later in the year. Not feeling fabulous. But to distract myself I baked Toby's birthday cake and some party food before i had surgery and its in the freezer, so we can celebrate that the way I want to when his birthday rolls round next month.

Lou :)

MegMogandFiestyCat

Hi Everyone

Flying Kiwi congratulations on the birth of George, your new sig looks lovely.

Mccarro good luck, I hope that the time goes quickly for you.

Lou wonderful to hear from you, I was wondering how you were going and glad that it sounds like things are okay. You are one very organised mum to have the birthday preparations done.

How are people celebrating their child's birthdays, I almost said babies but they aren't that anymore.

Afm my mother in law offered to take both the girls so that I could clean the house, she never thinks my house is clean enough and always uses any opportunity to point this out to me. I have to keep taking deep breaths and not lose my temper.

I have now been back at work for 3 weeks full time. It has been hard and Elizabeth seems to have settled with the changes in routing but not Rhiannon. Elizabeth does have some memories from when I worked full time for a while after she was born, I went back to work part time when Elizabeth was 16 months and full time when she was 25 months. I then worked full time until Rhiannon was born. In order to cope with the school drop offs and pick ups we have enlisted the grandparent babysitting service and my DH is taking one day off a week to spend with Rhiannon and doing the school runs as well. Elizabeth's school doesn't have before or after school care. Elizabeth has also had some issues at school which haven't helped. We tried Rhiannon at child care Mondays and Tuesdays for a while and she didn't settle, we have now dropped that down to just a Tuesday and she seems to have settled now. Next week Rhiannon will start going on a Thursday as well. I am hoping that a day's break in between will work in our favour. Rhiannon is with each set of grandparents one day a week starting next week, up until now it has been 2 days with my mum.

How long I keep working full time, not sure. It has been hard in many ways and watching how it has affected my girls has been the hardest. I have also loved being back at work and interacting with both the general public and my colleagues. Some of the public patrons have remembered me and it has been lovely to be welcomed back. I am thinking of approaching another colleague and friend and seeing if she would like to job share but I have given myself a trail date of until the end of May to make a decision. I wish I had a crystal ball to see the future to make the best decisions I can at times.

Hi to everyone else and I hope all is well

meljb

very quiet in here!

Hope everyone is well. I can't believe our babies are turning 2 this month (or have turned 2 already!) How did they get so big???

MegMogandFiestyCat

Hope that Everyone has had great 2nd birthday celebrations.

I don't know how they are now so big but it seems to be a trick that they have.

Hope everyone is well

sjm218

Hi all!

Can you believe our bubbies are 2?? Charlie LOVED his party, he was so excited to be the centre of attention, it was very cute.

We had our 2 year old check up last week - we have a big boy 97th percentile for weight, 95th percentile for height and 85 percentile for head! He is 15.6kg and 92.7 cm - no wonder my back gets sore!!

He is talking up a storm and starting to string, 4 and 5 words together, it's really amazing what comes out of his mouth.

Food wise he is starting to get a bit fussier, unfortunately, but he isn't much of a sweet tooth. His favourite foods are raisins, peas, corn on the cob and any meat, loving meat right now.

He is doing pretty well with Millie, mostly happy and caring, but occasionally gets jealous. She is starting to get his toys now and that is making life more interesting!!

That's about it for us, hope everyone is doing well.

MegMogandFiestyCat

Hi Everyone

Hope all are well.

Sjm Charlie sounds like so much fun :) Glad all is going well with Milly as well.

We are getting over Rhiannon having suspect pneumonia last week and then sharing her bugs to 1 big sister, 2 parents, 1 grandmother, 1 aunt and 1 grandfather. Don't you love it when they share and care.

We appear to have settled into life with me working full time. I have realised esp this week that full time is causing a range of issues, some that have bubbled in the back ground for a while and others that hit you over the face every morning. I am considering reducing my hours, I am still trying to work out by how much and where to make the cuts where it will best work for my family but also for the groups that I run at work. I wish I could wave a magic wand and it would all sort its self out.

Lou how are you going? I have been thinking of you recently.

Big hugs and wave to everyone and I hope that you and your families are well

Have fun

Sarah