Sign in to follow this  
pinotgrigio

5 year old obsession with one CD

pinotgrigio

Hi

DS has just turned 5. He is totally fixated on one particular CD that he can listen to over and over again, or if he's not listening to it he can sing the whole thing through.

We can get him to stop - reluctantly - and he does lots of other things, reads books, plays with the dog, goes to Kinder, but it seems like every spare moment he gets he's either listening to the CD or singing it to himself.

Before this one it was a Wiggles one that he's go through every song and every little 'in between' bit.

Is this kind of obsession/fixation on one thing a fairly normal thing for a 4 or 5 year old to do?

*funmum*

I know my dd loves to listen to or watch something or read a certain book a few times over until she knows exactly what's going on and can sing along with the songs. I think kids at this age do like repetition. That's how they learn!

Although it does sound like a bit of an obsession with your little man, I wouldn't be too worried about it, unless it becomes an issue with him not listening/doing what he's supposed to be doing.

Cluckster

My 5 yo loves Empire Of The Sun's first album and played Standing On The Shore to the family's distraction. Now she has moved on to The Saints' Standing On My Own.

Clearly, she has a love of standing or something.

Who am I to sway good taste? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I say.

pinotgrigio

Sweet! I'm glad he's not the only one who does it!

:)

HRH Countrymel

I had a boyfriend when I was about 20 who was EXACTLY the same!

My4beautifulboys

Aww thats sweet. Yes my DS is the same, I think its just their way of learning.

My DS - Then 5 was so obsessed with this particular Christmas Hi-5 CD, he almost knew all the songs on it ;)

Enjoy it while it lasts :)

pandoninny

Don't worry about it at all. My DD was exactly the same at that age. It passes... and then he will find another CD to listen to tirelessly.

pinotgrigio

I am so relieved! I was starting to think he was the only child that does this :)