Sign in to follow this  
Green Gummy Bear

how can I get mould off mop head?

Green Gummy Bear

A few weeks ago I got sucked in by one of those demonstrators in the middle of the shopping centre selling this mop http://shop.bigpond.com/Product.asp?Action...s%20Mop%20Heads The mop head itself is made of a soft spongy material so no matter how much I wring it out at the end it always stays moist. I use my mop most days, but haven't for the last week or so due to not being home. I've gone to use it today and it's got mould spots all over it. I can't find the receipt or contact details for either the distributor I bought it off or the head company, so am wondering if there's anything I can do/use to get the mould off?

Also to stop this happening again in the future, should the mop be stored in water permanently, or is this pretty common for mops to get mouldy?

TIA

Chelara

Put the mop outside in the sun until it is dry between uses. Try soaking in vinegar, then sunlight. If vinegar doesn't work some bleach may but it also might shorten the life of the mophead so dilute before soking and only soak as long as necessary. You could also try napisan.

imamumto3

I have never had a mop go mouldy. After I use my sponge mop, I rinse the sponge in hot water, wring it out & then store it standing upright in the garage so it goes away damp but not wet.

If it were me I would be trying to contact the company even if you cant find the reciept, surely they have to have contact details on the internet somewhere. Could you go to the shopping centre you bought it from & ask the centre management office for details for the stall holder, they should have some way of contacting them

Green Gummy Bear
Agree with PPs. Sunlight is great for kiling mold & bacteria. But needs to be strong direct sunlight.

Haha, could be waiting a while for that in Melbourne! I've given it a soak in napisan and stuck it outside so shall see what happens.

And imamumto3, you'd think there'd be some contact details somewhere but there's nothing :(

LilMissSnuggles

Once a sponge-mop has mould it needs to be thrown out. There is no way to clean deep down in the sponge.

That's what we learned from the bio-hazard cleaners after we lost nearly everything we owned thanks to toxic mould in our old house.

For future reference in treating mould:

- Bleach does NOT kill mould. It merely bleaches the colour of it to white.

- the only thing that kills mould is soaking in 80% WHITE vinegar & 20% hot water followed by direct sunlight for 4-6hrs.

In future, after you're finished with a mop, try to pop the head through the washing machine and then hang on the line to dry in the sun.