emily88

Does anyone regret it?

Mumma_G

I had DS when i was 22 and never regret it. Having him and being a family has been the most amazing experience. I wasnt a big party person so i dont really miss it.

Anonymous12

I had step-children in my early twenties and when that relationship ended (and I didn't get to see them again), I felt like I had been given a new life.

I spent 2 years travelling, I went back to uni, I met other single 'free' people and I was so grateful that this happened. By the time I was in my early thirties I met DH and we settled down.

With hindsight I am really grateful I didn't have children in my previous relationship, I can see that I wouldn't have been the mother that I am now. Travel, study, life experience have all made me a much better mother and I am so glad that it happened much later.

cinnabubble

"Drinking and partying" were a minutely small proportion of my pre-child existence and I have no regrets that I didn't have my first child until 36. I don't think not wanting to get trashed every night equates to grown up enough to have a baby.

Beqa

The OP was posted in Oct 2011 and it appears that the OP has been TTC since then, so this thread seems to have been accidentally revived?

bella22
I don't think it's an age thing, I think it's a lifestyle and personality thing.

So true. I was absolutely ready (well as ready as anyone can be) to have my first child at 20. I had my second at 23. Do I regret it? That's a tough one,cos as other people have said you don't regret your children for a second, but its the things you didn't get to do that niggles at you.... and mine was definatley travelling. I've never been outside of Oz,so to have to wait to do that is tough at times, especially when I see other people's amazing adventures. If I had my time over again I think I would of waited until I was at least 25/26. I've been with my DH for 20 years, so I'm one of the lucky ones. We are so looking forward to our 40's, where our kids will be out of our hair(probably still living at home mind you) and we will hopefully be living it up on a island at least once a year!! :D

bryce's-mummy

Was just about to reply to this when I saw that the thread was started in 2011!!

Propaganda

I love my child dearly, but I would feel so disappointed for her if she followed the same path and had a child in her last years as a teenager.

I didn't feel this way in the early days, but I've been a mother for nearly 8 years now, almost as long as I have been an adult.

I want more for her. She deserves to get to know herself as a person before she has to know herself as a mother. Finding out the two at the same time can be very difficult, and I don't understand why anyone would willingly make their life much harder than it needed to be.

I don't like to say I regret it, because that's almost like confessing I don't actually like being her mother, which isn't the case. I suppose that if I could go back in time though, I would choose another path, and wait at least a few more years before becoming a parent.