busymum01

Obviously ... toys for older kids

busymum01

:o New section woooo!

Well looky looky what I stumbled across here! Perfect - I have a DS aged 12.5 and it's struggle town to buy for him. DD is also 10 and similar, so sick to death of pencils, pens, craft gear.

Ideas for Christmas? Post away(I'll post mine)!

Girls:

Kids donut maker :rolleyes:

Books

LaLaLoopsy mini dolls (which I suspect will be a bit young but meh)

Boys:

:unsure:

Edited by busymum01

michelle120773

My 11 year old nephew is still loving lego but moving into the more technic stuff now rather than te standard stuff. Oh and the bigger the better!

Also likes Itune cards fro his ipod

Ferelsmegz

Lego, Meccano, electronics kits?

Games?

F.E.B.E

Freat to see people using this new forum! These questions are exactly what the forum is for :)

busymum01
My 11 year old nephew is still loving lego but moving into the more technic stuff now rather than te standard stuff. Oh and the bigger the better!

My DS still loves Lego too, though we have nowhere to store finished masterpieces :( . There's a new VW Campervan being released next month which I absolutely adore.

iPod is also a fantastic gift (well it was until I washed it) we're replacing DS's Nano with a Touch for Christmas - relatives also love this (as a PP mentioned) iTunes cards are so easy to get and give.

butterfly-lee

busymum01 - our sons are the same age :D and I have no idea what to get him for xmas :( He has an ipod touch (was mine till I got a new phone that does all the same things) so the only thing I can think to get him is a dock for it, with radio and alarm clock for next to his bed, which is not really exciting.

He does love nascar so we will probably get him a model car of his favourite one. Still not that exciting.

It gets hard at this age.

How about an experience, like a surfing lesson?? I guess it depends what they are into, cause my son wouldn't be to thrilled about that, but for his 13th birthday we are going to get him a ride in a race car, which he will be soooooo excited about!!

I will be watching this thread cause I really need help on this one. I have 3 younger girls (6+4+1) that are already sorted for xmas, and poor DS has nothing planed for yet!!

butterfly-lee

we love lego here too!! Only problem is no where to put finished pieces, so it gets done once, then thrown in with all the other lego (one of those kids wheely bins full, base plates in another wheely bin) so never to be seen again :(

maxim

Teen boy - past 3 years has been DS games, Wii games, electronics (ipod) and books. Nothing else!

Pre-teen girl - clothes and jewellery, electronics, plus arts and craft.

BadCat

This year I've got DD (12) and DS (10) a slackline which I'm hoping will be a popular item.

Link: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3466448/slac...tricks_and_fun/

And a Chaos tower, they'll actually be getting two of those so they can make bigger and more interesting structures.

Link:

They well also be getting books, PS3 games and DVDs.

CaSPer79

DD will be 8yrs old in Nov and very much a tomboy. Is not a sit and play kind of kid. Needs to be out and about. Though saying that she does love her lego city stuff.

So far for birthday/Christmas we have thought of

More lego (Lighthouse,hillside house,police station).

Basketball ring.

She needs new mats for her trampoline.

New scooter.

Ramp/jump for scooter.

Video camera.

A good remote control car (We have a club across from us and she loves to stand at the fence and watch them. She looks sad with her 4wd remote control because it's so slow).

She is also getting her room repainted for her birthday. She just needs to decide on a colour.

idignantlyright

A site I love looking at www.thinkgeek.com

They have some brilliant stuff for the kids who like unusual stuff.

tess11

OMG BadCat those are both awesome

DS who will be 9 is getting a pet turtle.. he has been asking for one for months and months so will be very excited.

His dad is getting him an ipod touch apparently, although Im not overally happy about it

idignantlyright - we love thinkgeek here but their postage is a real kicker :(

busymum01
How about an experience, like a surfing lesson?? I guess it depends what they are into, cause my son wouldn't be to thrilled about that, but for his 13th birthday we are going to get him a ride in a race car, which he will be soooooo excited about!!

Butterfly I love that idea, we however live hours from the beach but I recall one of his friends one birthday took a group motorbike riding which he loved. Will definitely keep that idea handy!

My DS loves to watch Bear Grylls :sick: and Top Gear so the rellies are banding together to kit him out with DVD's.

My slightly older nieces and nephews I buy a hat/ purse/ wallet/ whatever from a surfshop which they're always pretty chuffed about. My kids aren't quite at that age yet of caring about brand names :rolleyes: .

mummy to e&j

My sister bought our DS 13yrs a 'scuba dive' for his birthday. It was one of those coupons (scoopon/groupon/direct deals) etc and are booked in for Nov.

Other than that, for xmas we're thinking of getting him a video recorder. He LOVES books, but to be honest, we're running out of room in his bedroom to store them. He won't get rid of any to make room either

DD 8yrs just loves anything girly, and is very easy to buy for.

togodronic

You could get some stylish headphones like the aiaiai Tracks. They look really cool like the old Walkman Headphones but with new technologie and great sound.

Or a radio completly covered in silicone from Lexon - they also designed a crank eco radio from bamboo and plastic made from plants.

You can check it out at www.thedesigngiftshop.com

la di dah

When I was that age I was really enamoured of really accurate little minatures. Like dollhouses, really, but NOT plastic-y bits and pink - spent a lot of time doing stuff on the computer to make backgrounds and brick patterns and stuff. I liked Victorian architecture and decor and stuff.

And it all had to be to scale, as of course, "not to scale is for little kids!" :o

This one is barbie-sized but its a lot easier to find one inch = one foot scale things in a lot of different styles.

While outing myself as king of the nerds, I also liked trainset dioramas of the type that look realistic in photos where you can't tell the scale. And those porcelain christmas village type houses. Between the doing the layouts, painting the buildings/scenery, and effing about with the camera its definitely does pass the time. ;)

I did get some flack for caring about trains and diecast cars and tiny lampposts that really light up as a little girl but... :shrug: On the other hand its probably a lot easier for boys than dollhouse stuff.

Unfortunately, display space becomes an issue. But it was more fun to me than lego.

Should I show myself out now?

mindy05

OP- Our DS is only 8 but right into making and creating- Lego, Meccano, Marble run, K'nex, etc. We have a Jaycar electronics store near us and DH likes going down there to buy kits for DS and himself to make together.

Bigfatbum

Ds12 is getting a 3d-ds here, its all he wants. He plays with legos with his brothers but not interested otherwise. for him its all electronic games, books, outside stuff and board games.

LucyQua

Wow this section is exactly what I need. Have a DS1 who is 9 (10 in April) He wants a Nano Bridge Hexa bug set - done and and ipod docking station (for his ipod) done.

My younger who thinks he is more grown up (only 6) is gettign an afx racing set.

Was in our local toy store the other day and aske what are people buying for 9 year boys and this is what they said:

Lego - Harry Potter, ninjago

Razor Scooters

Skateboards - those wobbly ones that you really have to balance on

Hexa Bugs

Remote control helicopters (apparently have to learn to hover first before flying)

Skate board/bike ramps jumps

Books are good, cd players (mini hi fi ones), cds, itunes, clothes, vouchers to buy their own stuff from sport stores, basketball rings, footy jumper (for your local team they support), footy membership, movie tickets.

I will be coming back to seek other ideas for Birthdays.

Thanks for this Lucy Qua

Nerileeway

Just noticed this section.

Christmas presents for my 14 dd:

*full length mirror

*$50 myer voucher

*dvds

*wii game

*money to spend at the markets

*wooden cross necklace

sims 3 world adventures

and stocking fillers

11dd:

*club penguin membership

*club penguin toys and trading cards, books

*dvds

*gomu tin

*books

*myer voucher

stocking fillers

First year both don't believe in Santa (or so they had me believe) and sadly no lego on their wish lists anymore.

It is dd11's birthday next month and I am getting her a ipod touch.

Edited by gina70

*mumof4*

I'm the same here - no more toys or 'Santa' for us :(

Our youngest is DS (nearly) 10. On his wish list:

Cricket gear (got)

Red Vans (got - but not happy about, as he WRECKS shoes, no matter how much they cost)

ITunes card

Xbox games

DVD's - Bear Gryllls

Scrabble & up words

Possibly a chess set

Clothes!!!!!!

The only 'toys' he's asked for are a few more ramps and tech decks.

I did grab him a Solor house from aldi (about $6). Has operational door bells, lights & windmill. He likes building stuff, so that should keep him happy on a wet day.

busymum01

We have bought both our older kids an iPod touch for Christmas since they've been asking forever.

Both children still have me believe they believe in Father Christmas - I'm not convinced my eldest does as he now says it and winks at me lol but for his younger siblings (and his mum) he's keeping the game up, bless him.

DS 12.5

iPod touch

Guinness Book of World Records (tradition)

Lego Ideas Book

shorts & tshirt

Wii game

Ridiculously priced boardshorts he wanted

DD10

iPod touch

Dog book

Fur real zhu zhu pet things

Paul Frank lip gloss set

Bathers

Tiger Tribe colouring house

We're on holiday over Christmas so I'm a bit sad that there are no 'toys' as we just can't take them with us travelling, opting for spending any extra dollars on experiences this year.

Edited by busymum01