MrsHousewife

Incontinence pads instead of maternity pads?

MrsHousewife

I hope i'm posting this in the right section.................

After birth pads! A midwife mentioned that some ladies use incontinence pads instead of maternity pads, is this right? Does anyone do this? if so which ones.

I remember after i had my DS i bled so much and for so long i had to sometimes wear a baby nappy if we went to the shops to last me a little longer than half an hour.

I wonder if the wee pads would be better?

mybunny

incontinence pads are pretty big. I suppose they would be good if you really had the need for extra thickness.

Sammitty

i preferred the big chunky maternity pads with massive wings!! If you were going out you could be sneaky and put another smaller pad (say period one)on top of the maternity one and then just chuck it and you are fresh :)

Angelina Ballerina

I ended up using the massive incontinence pads because I was bleeding so much in the first few days. The maternity pads just weren't cutting it

OutForLunch

Oh my Id nearly forgotten about about that! Euk it was an awful feeling and having a cs the nurse had to change me like a big baby as I couldnt feel my legs yet! Nice job....I love nurses they should ve paid millions in my opinion!

jules77
i preferred the big chunky maternity pads with massive wings!! If you were going out you could be sneaky and put another smaller pad (say period one)on top of the maternity one and then just chuck it and you are fresh :)

This is exactly what I did! Worked a treat :)

TurtleTamer

Maternity pads seem to have shrunk, no way they were big enough the last couple of babies. I used Poise incontinence pads, the most absorbent ones, and they were FABULOUS! No need to worry about leaking. Brilliant brilliant brilliant! I switched to regular maternity pads after a few days when it lightened a bit.

I highly recommend!

eachschoolholidays

The hospital I delivered at actually just supplied super pads!? I must say that I actually found them ok...

FeralLIfeHacker

Dh accidentally bought me incontenance pads after dd was born and actually they were great. I think they were poise ones - he just saw a pink pack and grabbed them - they were shaped really well.

Loue
Dh accidentally bought me incontenance pads after dd was born and actually they were great. I think they were poise ones - he just saw a pink pack and grabbed them - they were shaped really well.

I love this ^^^!!

grab & run!

2_shoes

Wow....let me quietly slither away while I process this information...

Happy days await. I thought the indignities ended with labour!

zande

I went with the full incontinence underwear LOL! I had a c/s so they sat nice & high (nowhere near my wound), and I could just chuck them out! I wore them for I think the 4 days, and then just used maternity pads after that.

~Sorceress~

Oh - my favourite discovery was incontinence undies!!! I've had 50% labour starting significantly later than my waters broke, and incontinence pads (then last time the fabulous undies!) meant I could go out to lunch with perfect confidence despite the trickling amniotic fluid :) .

For the really heavy immediate post-partum bleeding the incontinence undies are magnificent :D .

gibby

Love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect for 2-3 days post vaginal delivery!! Must haves! I tell everyone!

sparkle77

I bought some overnight incontinence pads, in a purple packet. They were SO much bigger than maternity pads, SUPER comfy for the first 24 hours. I bought them from a chemist, they were not for sale in Woolies.

CountryBumpkin

I just buy the thick homebrand super pads, they cheap and i use 2 or 3 stuck together for the first couple of days. I went through 6 packs in the last few weeks, and they so cheap! during labour my midwife also put a little water on them and froze them, for just after delivery :)

Princess.cranky.pants

Midwives stuck a newborn nappy under me after I had my first Caesar. It worked a treat and held more than a maternity pad. Incontinence pads would work well too- they would hold a lot more.

rokate

I have to remember his, maternity pads didn't last that long!

happyapple

i am with country bumpkin

those homebrand super pads are the ones for me. they are so soft and although they are probably a tad less absorbent than proper maternity pads, they are just so soft! and i found i was changing them so frequently anyway..... not to mention cheap. and they are not at all bricklike!

and did i mention how soft they are!

catmeow82

I bought a pack of the incontinence undies. they were FAB! i stuck a homebrand pad inside and could change it once or twice before chucking the undies. they held plenty and worked out to be quite cost effective.

i used these while in hospital (had c-sections) and then moved to cloth pads when i got home.

i waited for coles/woolies to have a sale and got them for a great price.

Roxhan

Did you ladies use the pads or the pull up pants/underwear? (not the nappies). Just trying to decide what style is best before I go out and stock up!

TIA :)

Arthur or Martha

Edited by ambwrose