Sandra

April 2010 Parent Group #24

JazzBaby

Oh Lou, I couldn't not post... When it rains it pours, huh?

I'm sure it's nothing sinister - good on you for checking it out immediately though.

Sending hugs and cyber support. Please let me know if you need anything xo

meljb

Oh Lou! :bighug:

Desperately hoping for you that it is related to feeding and nothing else :pray:

Please let us know.

kirsee

Lou- :hugs: I :pray: it it nothing too sinister you really could do with a break.

AFM - I apologise in advance for the rant - Ollie has not been well he has gone from plastering his bed in vomit two weekends ago to conjunctivitis like symptoms to a fever ranging from 38.5-39.83 degrees which we ended up spending 6 hrs in Sunshine Hospital ER waiting room only to be seen and waiting another 4 hrs we finally got to go home at 0430 in the morning :rant: He then slept most of Sunday with still high temps :( Monday he seemed better - he slept in til 0830 but ate his breakfast, he then spent the next hr screaming - went to the drs nothing is wrong apparently made an appointment with my dr to see him that after noon and went home where he slept for 4 hrs :blink: took him back to the drs to find he has a middle outer and inner ear infection :cry: I had a drs appt for me today as I have been suffering really bad headaches to migraines on an almost daily basis and whilst we were there I picked him up and noticed he has tiny red spots all over his body... Dr thought it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotics given yesterday for his ears... no more antibiotics and another appt tomorrow.... I am over this :unsure:

Sorry guys but I needed to get that off my chest... :down:

~*K*~

meljb

Kirsee - big hugs for you too :(

~*Lou*~

KIRSEE - you poor poor thing, that all sounds hideous, poor Ollie and poor you

ME - groan, I'm trying to stay calm but admit to tears on my friend's shoulder when collecting the children - GP didn't say anything except to send me immediately to get chest x-ray and blood tests and then go back to him, except I was short on time so had x ray, radiographer looked at them and said he couldn't see anything and wants an ultrasound, which I go back at 2pm for, had blood tests which won't be back today anyway, and i go back to GP after ultrasound. At home right now while Toby naps and Mum plays with Claudia. trying to stay calm, trying to stay calm, repeat, repeat

THANK YOU for all the positve vibes, really need them!

Lou

mccarro

Lou - sending positive vibes your way! I'm sure it will be fine.

Kirsee - I hope you and Ollie are feeling better soon. It's hard when you are both unwell at the same time.

AFM - Had my NT scan today, but the bubs is measuring a couple of days behind so it was too small to get the measurement. I have to go back next week and try again. I don't know why but I felt really crushed after this - the baby was healthy, growing, with a good-looking heartbeat, but I think because all the scans with Atticus had him growing ahead of his dates, i was kind of expecting the same with this one. Maybe it's just a sign that it's a girl, because it's smaller than he was.

On top of this, we discovered that one of the pipes in the wall cavity behind the shower was leaking. We don't know how long it had been like that, but it was soaking wet under the house and down the wall. We freaked out a bit about the costs, about the shower being out of action for weeks, and having to fast-track the bathroom reno that we still hadn't decided we'd do. Luckily they managed to fix it yesterday, and with minimal damage to the shower, so we can still use it. But the repairs will delay Atticus's new car seat purchase for a month or so - hurry up tax return!!! Why do all these things happen when we've just spent all our money on a holiday???

Oh well, better go and iron a shirt for tomorrow. I've managed to avoid falling asleep on the lounge at 8:30 tonight, simply by not going anywhere near it. But bed is not far off...

MegMogandFiestyCat

Lou sending you lots of positive vibes.

Kirsee I hope that you are both better now, it is very hard when mum and bubs are sick.

Mccarro Good luck with the new scan

I hope that everyone else is fine and going well.

AFM I could just about repeat my previous post with some minor changes, Rhiannon is sick again with high temps and has tonsillitis and a secondary ear infection, Elizabeth has bronchitis and gastro. Not the world's best combination for a diabetic so we have been in constant contact with the hosp and it was a close call on whether or not to take her in at 3:30am the other morning as she was in hypo but had high ketoness. Fiesty the cat is getting better but not liking his new food, in some regards he is the least of my worries but I would miss him if he wasn't around. DH and I have had a bit of what the girls have had but we are keeping on going because some one has to. DH came off his road bike last Tuesday on the way to work in the wet and has badly grazed down the right side of his body. I have also discovered that my cousin, has lung cancer, she is about 20 years older than me. I know that I haven't seen much of her in the last couple of years, we spent lots of time with her children when I was younger but it has come as a shock. I think I am ready for this year to end, Summer to come so that I can just let the girls play outside in the sun and air the house.

~*Lou*~

Here's the email I just sent close friends .....

Hi ladies

This may well be the crappiest email I’ve sent to date, given my flood damaged house, and given Toby’s cyst and Mum’s breast cancer that’s saying a fair bit, but here goes...

I have been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Last Sunday night I found a lump in my armpit just rolling over bed. Monday I tried to stay calm and thought it might be linked in some way to breastfeeding, and booked myself a GP appointment for Tuesday morning. Tuesday I saw the GP, who was not calm, sent me straight for a chest x-ray and blood tests. The radiographer who saw the x-ray made me have an ultrasound on the spot. By 3pm I was sitting back in my GP’s office being told it was likely cancer. Gulp. Wednesday lunchtime I saw a breast surgeon who sent me to Clayton for mammogram and fine needle aspirations of each set of lymph nodes and core biopsies of each breast. Feeling bit like a pin cushion at this point. Thursday lunchtime we were back with the breast surgeon and all the results.

The cancer is in the left breast and its invasive, so its already spread outside the milk ducts, and the lump in my armpit that started this whole crazy week is an inflamed lymph node. Its not a neat lump in the breast which can be removed, its most of the breast and nothing to feel, which is why I had no idea until now. All the people who've examined me in the last 3 days couldn't feel it either! So, today I’m to have a CT scan and a bone scan, and we hope MADLY it hasn't already spread outside the breast to somewhere else in the body. Monday at 10am I see a medical oncologist, and she will set me up for chemo. The order of treatment will be chemo, surgery and then radiotherapy. Chemo will start in about 2 weeks from now and will be 8 "cycles" - each cycle is one day as an inpatient receiving the chemo, then a week feeling utterly crap (side effects vary from person to person), then a 2nd week feeling better and a 3rd week feeling pretty good, then repeat. So 8 cycles takes about 5 months. Then surgery, which because the cancer is invasive has to be a mastectomy, with optional reconstruction. Then after that approx 6 weeks radiotherapy like Mum is having now. Add in some recovery time and basically this is a year all up until I'm through this. Joy.

I'm not sure what I'm doing about work yet, the breast surgeon I saw yesterday said it is possible to work 2 weeks out of each 3 weeks during chemo, for example, then bit of time off for the surgery and recovery, then work shorter days during radiotherapy, I have spoken to my boss this morning and I’ll see him in the office to talk further Monday afternoon after seeing the oncologist in the morning.

My age works against me, being under 40 yrs with breast cancer, is generally considered more aggressive, the risk of recurrence or it spreading else where in the body are higher, hence the aggressive treatment. I keep thinking of Jane McGrath, Kerryn McCann and Belinda Emmett.

I'll be honest. I'm terrified I won't get to see my children grow up.

I have to wean Toby in the next 2 weeks before chemo starts, the idea of which reduces me to tears. Not sure yet what we'll do about his op to remove his dermoid cyst (currently set for 24th Oct).

This also means I can't have more children, maybe we would have chosen not to have a third baby anyway but to have the decision taken away from me, well more tears.

That’s about it for now.

Lou xxxx

kirsee

OMG Lou :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

If you need anything let me know

I :pray: this ends well for you

~*K*~

meljb

Lou, I couldn't finish reading. I have no words, just tears for you and your beautiful family :hugs:

mccarro

Oh Lou I can't believe it. I don't know what to say. I'll be thinking of you, and I hope you and your family will get all the support and love you'll need over the next few months. BIG hugs!

MegMogandFiestyCat

Oh Lou, after reading the in the bar, I went looking for your other posts. I am sorry to hear this. I am in Melb so let me know if I can bring a meal around for you.

Thinking of you lots, big hugs.

flyingkiwi
~*Lou*~ :hugs: so sorry to hear this. Wishing you lots of strength. You are obviously a fighter, really praying for a good outcome for you.

sjm218

Oh my God Lou, words can't express all the things I want to say to you. We will be praying hard for you.

Love and strength to you and all your family.

~*Lou*~

thanks ladies for all the messages of support, i must sound like a never-ending soap opera, between house flood, mum's cancer, toby's cyst, now me ... :wacko:

Due to the radioactive dye they give you before a bone scan, I couldn't BF Toby last night or this morning - fortunately he settled pretty well with a sippy cup of warm cows milk and cuddles from Daddy. I expressed and dumped. I have to wean before chemo starts, so we won't go back to 2 BF per day, DH got him to bed again tonight without a BF, I''ll just keep the morning feed until the last possible moment. Sad.

Went and visited a very close friend this afternoon, with her new baby, and told her - tears (her's, I'm pretty stoic right now). And rang another close friend. Then been sending emails to others.

How is everyone else? distract me!!

Lou :)

mccarro

Lou - I am in utter awe of your strength, considering all you and your family have been through this year. You are an amazing woman.

AFM - Atticus's canines are coming through, all at once. I guess this is better, and he's coping pretty well, but the 4 am wake ups last week and middle of the night panadol sessions are being to catch up with me. Not at all helped by my current aversion to coffee either.

He's a funny boy though. He's learnt to do the actions for jingle jangle scarecrow, and is trying to jump. He's also been through another growth spurt and can reach things I don't expect him to be able to reach. He climbed up onto the dining table on friday afternoon while I was getting changed out of my work clothes, and smash went a wine glass I'd left there. It was quite a juggling act getting it cleaned up without him walking through it and trying to taste the pieces of glass.

I'd better go actually, DH is off playing golf so I'd better go and see what the relative silence is all about.

hugs to all!

meljb

It's been ages since I've done a proper post. Not much has been happening here, at least not much worth noting. We are all sick with colds again, Annabelle had a week of horrendous sleep last week, last night was the first reasonable night in ages, so I have been exhausted and bad tempered. Work is ticking along fairly well though, they're already starting to plan for next year! Im not changing my days at all, I couldn't cope with 3 days yet.

I don't know if I mentioned here, my 20 yr high school reunion is on in October, im a bit nervous about going, but curious to see everyone too. Facebook is great, im back in contact with some of the people I was friends with. Im thinking about sending one or two other friend requests, but not quite sure if I want to. One of them is with a guy who i had a love/hate relationship with - he was either really lovely to me or nasty to me, it changed day to day! In retrospect (and one of our teachers said it at the time, but I didn't believe him) he obviously liked me but knew I wasn't really his 'type". Truth be told (and this is the first time I have ever admitted this to a soul), i had a bit of a flame for him too. But I would never have gone out with him. Anyway, i saw his fb profile and some of my old friends are fb friends with hime, but my finger is just hesitating over the sedn request button.

Annabelle is growing so quickly, she's more and more a toddler instead of a baby. She adores her brother, but attacks him a lot as well, I think sometimes she's trying to play but doesn't know how. Last week she bit him, twice, and the bruises have only just gone away. The worst part was I had to talk to daycare about it in case she did it there too :blush: Thankfully she seems to be saving that behaviour for home only. Still no talking, but she's getting good at communicating what she wants or (more often) doesn't want, she's got the head shake for "no" going on a lot!

a link to some recent photos:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...a6f1&type=1

Edited by meljb

sjm218

Hi all!

I've been missing for a while. My sister was here for a week and a half and while it was great, I had no free time at all to post.

Lou - here is my best effort at distraction....

We have had nutty weather here lately. On Monday I was sitting at work and all of a sudden the table and the ceiling tiles started to shake. Not sure how long it was for, but long enough to talk about it. Turns out it was an earthquake. The earthquake was about 2 hours north of here, so we didn't have any damage. My sister and bil who were at my house were a bit freaked out, especially my bil who was on our deck which is about 1.5 stories high and shook quite a bit by his account. He said he was sitting outside and all of a sudden all the trees (we back onto woods) started moving but there was no wind - freaky! Inside my sister thought someone was trying to break in. Anyway that gave them a good story to go home with.

Then over the last weekend, we had hurricane Irene! Luckily for us it skirted up the coast and we got some wind, but no rain. There were trees down and we lost power for a while on friday night, but that was the extent of it.

Charlie loved having my sister here. He skipped daycare and hung out with them. He loves "outings" so they took him to museums and other tourist type things. I am not sure who enjoyed it more. He had a cold while they were here but it only bothered him at night.

He is also talking lots and lots now. New words all the time, quite the mimicker, we have to watch our mouths now!

AFM I am almost 33 weeks pregnant. Worst case scenario I have six weeks left. Ob will let me try for vbac between 37 and 39 weeks ( after stitch removal at 37) but if nothing has happened I am booked for a Caesar October 11!!!! It seems to have really crept up on me. We are pretty ready. Knave a new par, car seats, washed the clothes, moved the cot into our room. I just need o get work to a good stopping point and that is proving to be more of a challenge.

Apart from that I am feeling good, starting to get a it uncomfortable, but nothing major to complain about.

It was my birthday last Sunday and I got an iPad - I LOVE it!

Mel - Matt and Annabelle are soooooo cute!!

Mccarro - I know what you mean about growing. I swear Charlie grew 5cm last week. He can reach all sorts of things! Charlie is also a climber, he will climb up on anything - quite scary.

Lou - thinking of you all the time!

guru nakal

Hi guys

Been MIA here again, just been reading through all the backlog.

Lou, I'm sorry, I can't do distraction but I just want you to know that I am praying hard for you now and often. My friend had breast cancer a couple of years ago, with similar prognosis, she was also under 40. She fought hard and is healthy now, I pray this is the case for you too. I understand your fears, I think they are the worst fears of all of us.

you are so strong, I hope those around you are offering their strength too. How is your mum going with her treatment?

Sorry that I haven't been posting, exciting to read about those with bubs on the way. SJM, you are getting close now. Glad you have survived all those crazy US antics unscathed.

Oscar is just as cheeky as all the rest of the bubs here, pushing all the limits seeing what he can get away with. Work is sh*t, with the hierarchy doing me in. Why is no one around to support each other instead of heaping crap on each other. I won't even start to vent, because in the scheme of things, it aint important!

Raa - hope you are travelling well with your pregnancy.

Mccarro - same to you, trust you are well. Oscar only has one molar so far, no incisors yet.

Forgot all the other personals because I have read so many pages. Sorry.

Stay well.

guru nakal

Thought I'd add a recent photo

3E264FBF-orig.jpg

fiona78

Lou I don't know what to say. I wish I could do something. I have a friend who is involved with a foundation who work with young people with cancer. They provide info packs on support services and networks. As well as other services.

It is called the Warwick foundation. I have been to a few of their events, looks like a fabulous network.

www.thewarwickfoundation.org.au/

Cuddle those beautiful children, they will help get you through this, think of the survivors, Kylie is the only one in the age group I can think of but I am sure there are lots more, I'm just not up on celeb goss.

You have shown your incredible strength this year. you are an amazing woman and a wonderful mother.

Everyone else, they are a fantastic organization and if anyone could help support, they are always looking for donations, etc. Check out their website, they host lots of events throughout the year.

JazzBaby

Wow, I'm sitting here in tears and didn't want to just leave without posting.

Lou - will have you in my thoughts constantly over this time. Is there anything we can do for you? This seems kind of trivial, but are frozen meals helpful at all? I feel helpless as I sit here at my computer desk.

I'm going to give a massive kick up the a*se to my SIL who has a lump that she won't get checked because "Dr Google" says it's a cyst. :rant: Such a wake up call. I can't believe all you have gone through this year.

Puts a lot in perspective for me - I have been feeling very "woe is me" and I feel like I've been magically snapped out of it.

Mason is a little cutie. He has started walking and is getting very good at it now, and is also looking very proud of himself too! For those of you who remember all my stressing out about my dog last year - now that Mason is older I've relaxed and cannot believe how amazing my dog is with him! So gentle! (I won't get complacent of course - they will still be supervised) They have been playing together and they just love each other. So gorgeous.

Really have to go to bed, but won't leave it so long between posts this time.

hugs to all xo

~*Lou*~

http://twitter.com/#!/louella_cooper

Hi ladies

in an effort to not talk about my BC left right and centre i've set up a twitter account (link above) and can try to limit it to that. You don't have to be on twitter to view it.

I've got an email inbox full of messages of love and support, both moral support and practical. my mothers group are rallying round, and my work colleagues planning to cook for me, etc. Feeling very loved and supported. My employer been fabulous, my job is safe and i'll keep being paid regardless of how much work i manage to do. DH's boss been great too, he can take as much leave as he needs and its not from his annual or sick leave.

Chemo starts 12th Sept and every 3rd Monday from there for 8 cycles.

JAZZBABY - so cute Mason walking well and playing "nicely" with your dog!

FIONA - thanks for the messages. hope you're well too?

GURU - love the photo!

SJM - can't believe you've only got 6 weeks (max) to go! how very exciting!!

MELJB - hope you're getting more sleep now and Annabelle better? Toby got an ear infection so I know exactly how you feel!

MACCARO - how cute about Atti trying to jump!

Lou :)

kirsee

Lou - it is good you have the support of your boss it makes a huge difference ;) as well of course the support of your family and friends:grin: You are a strong woman and I'm sure you will get through this and every other obstacle thrown your way :hugs: Good Luck with the Chemo it isn't fun but in the long run it is for the best :pray:

Alison - it is good to hear that Mason is fully mobile now - have fun keeping up it is not always fun but I view it as part of may daily exercise now :p

Guru - that is a gorgeous photo :wub:

SJM - OMG time goes so fast... good luck with everything

I'm sorry to all I have missed I'm trying to keep up :sorry: but I have my surgery booked for the 9th and I'm really scared now... what if they don't get it all and it grows back or worse travels elsewhere... :fear:

I will be in contact again after my surgery and let you know how I feel...

~*K*~

~*Lou*~

KIRSEE - I must have missed something, I remember a while back you were waiting for some test results, what is the surgery exactly? poor poor you, and your family, I have my fingers tightly crossed for you ... :hugs:

Lou xx