Sandra

April 2010 Parent Group #24

JazzBaby

Hi everyone :waves:

Mason still facing the back in his car seat, little thing that he is! He is putting on weight, but although he hasn't been weighed for 2 months I can't see him being 12 kgs yet (which is the seat limit). He was almost 9kgs at his 12 month check up. He's no where near the top of the seat either!

SJM - I'm jealous that you have car seats that go to 16kgs in the US. That is a long way ahead of Australia. Mason has a scar on his forehead after a fall last month. Looks like it might be a permanent scar :( Wish I'd gotten onto the Vitamin E oil when it first came up. It's not his first scrape though, so hopefully it will heal as well as the first one did.

Mason not walking - he could if he wanted to, but he doesn't want to! :lol: Will walk assisted (he wheels his block trolley around), but prefers crawling still. He's so fast at it though I don't blame him for keeping at it - I have to run to catch up with him!

AFM - doing ok. Putting in the preparations to get pregnant towards the end of the year. Taking the vitamins, trying to get fit and lose some excess weight and trying to get off the anti-depressants. The last one is not essential according to the psychiatrist, but we both agree that if I can survive the first trimester without them that will be best for a baby. (But if I need them that is okay too.) I'm on a half dose now, so will see how I go.

Gotta go now - I am going to try and have an early night. Despite being sick I have not yet made it to bed prior to 12.00, which is stupid. I have to work in the morning so am going to try and get more sleep!!

Bye!

mccarro

Jazzbaby - did I miss something? Are you already in the first trimester, or is it precautionary?

JazzBaby

No, not pregnant :) just planning for the possibility of it. Hoping to start trying in a few months, and will be going off the medication then.

~*Lou*~

hi ladies

Toby had his MRI yesterday - he woke at 5am (teeth) so I gave him a BF, then back to sleep, I hoped he'd then sleep in a bit (has done so before) but woke at 7am, I tried rubbing his back a bit and he lay still, but Claudia in hallway demanding breakfast and my ruddy husband lying in bed being lazy. i really didn't want poor Toby to watch DH and Claudia eat breakfast so I played on his bedroom floor with him 20 mins while they ate (I gave him apple juice, which was allowed up to 2 hrs prior). quick shower, then got Claudia off to child care (told her Toby was sick, which she believed). played with and tried to distract Toby until 9am when finally DH ready, and we left, got to RCH, including parking, and checked in at Day Surgery Unit about 10am as instructed. then round to MRI Unit and into waiting room, Toby was playing happily initially. then down to MRI area, met radiographer and anaesthetist - they put name tags on his wrist and ankle, and listened to his chest - this is where he started to get very upset. As anaesthetist said "tired and hungry, nothing we can do for him, just have to wait" - back to waiting room for a bit, lots of cuddles and me pacing hall with him, then finally called in - I was allowed to go in to MRI room with him, DH to stand in doorway - laid him down, anaesthetist put mask over his face and held the back of his head, and I held his hands until he was out (and another technician held his legs) - he sooked all the way, tears in his eyelashes - once he was out, anaesthetist told me to kiss his forehead and we left. we went downstairs for a drink and back to waiting room - exactly 1 hr later they came for us, he was waking up, very unhappy and disorientated - basically I spent next hour pacing hall with him crying hard, in between anaesthetist checking on him, and nurse taking drip out of his ankle (big bruise), offered BF (refused initially, later he did have a BF), he wanted lots of water - after an hour from when he woke they said we could go, nothing more medically to be done, just needed time to recover - drove home, he quietened down a bit as we got outside walking to car (I carried him whole way, didn't put him in stroller as didn't want to him upset further, actually have sore arms today!) - came home, we offered dry crackers and some fruit (advised to give light foods initially) and more water and then a nap - slept 3 hrs. was fine at dinner, slept fine overnight, bit clingy today and on his 2nd nap right now as I type. So it was basically fine, staff lovely, just the fasting was hard work and the first hour after he woke up hard too

Results from neurosurgeon next Wedneday. After that, depending on results and surgery (we assume required) we will make final decision about work - but looks like I have to try MIL looking after both DD and DS until my mum has completed her radiotherapy treatement and recovered from side effects - i'm not happy about it but have to try it - DH, who is so keen for it to work, says he wil plan his Wednesdays so he is close to home in case his mum needs his help!

Lou

meljb

quick reply as my stupid wireless network keeps droppign out for no apparent reason :angry:

Lou - Im glad you all got through yesterday ok, poor Toby and poor you :( It's bad enough fasting when you understadn what's going on, but to have to deal with a baby in that situation I think I would have spent the whole time in tears too. Good luck with the mil and work thing too.

Jazzbaby - hope everything goes well in preparing for TTC.

Guru - i agree about the photos, if I can get her to stay still long enough i'll try to snap a pic.

spent the morning at the zoo today, for the first time Annabelle noticed and got excited about an animal - the elephants. They were the first animal Matty noticed too. We walked past once and she didn't notice, but the second time we went past it was feeding time and they were following the keeper and one was quite close to the fence, she got so excited, pointing and ooohing, then I let her out of the pram and she ran to the fence and didn't want to leave :)

mccarro

Lou - I hope the news is good and that simple surgery is all that's required

Big waves to everyone else...

Pics as requested...

At the wedding in Greece

2 weeks ago

Edited by mccarro

flyingkiwi

Hi everyone,

~*Lou*~, any results yet from Toby's MRI? Poor mite.

AFM, just a quick one - had my dating scan this morning and saw a heartbeat, 130. :thumbs: So relieved. EDD is now 24 March. We're still waiting a few weeks to tell family, so it still doesn't feel real...

~*Lou*~

FLYINGKIWI - fabulous news! so exciting! I don't think my 2nd pregnancy felt real until I felt kicking (at about 15 weeks), you're busy with your little one so you have more on your mind, its a different feeling to that first pregnancy

Update from me, this is an email I just sent family and friends:

Dear All

We had the follow up appointment with the neurosurgeon today, after Toby had his MRI last Friday. The MRI itself went fine, although Toby was quite unhappy for the last half hour prior to the scan, due to the 6 hrs of fasting he had to go through, and he was also very unhappy for the first hour after he woke up from the general anaesthetic – hard crying for nearly an hour, Mummy did a lot of pacing the halls trying to sooth him.

The MRI showed the mass is a dermoid cyst, as expected. It looks like a small marble under the skin, against the skull, between his eyebrows. It is not connected with the brain at all. This is the best news we could hope for.

Getting the ruddy thing out is another matter. The neurosurgical approach is an incision from ear to ear, across the top of the head, behind the hairline, so that the scar eventually is covered by hair. Then the skin is pulled down to the eye level and the cyst removed. He’d be in hospital at least overnight, three lots of antibiotics given to prevent infection. There would be significant swelling and bruising round the eyes, he would have two “black” eyes. He would be grumpy and out of sorts for one week, followed by less grumpy for a second week, and should be almost himself after a third post-operative week. This all sounds quite traumatic to me. There would be no hiding it from Claudia, who was quite worried even this morning when we said she was off to see Grandma while Toby visited the doctor. I’d have to take at least 2-3 weeks off work, as he wouldn’t be able to attend child care for some time post-op. The neurosurgeon would like the cyst removed sometime in the next 6 months, as it will continue to grow.

Given this, the neurosurgeon is referring us to a plastic surgeon, in the hope he can think of a different way to remove the cyst, without significant facial scarring – obviously I’m clinging to this idea! So for now, we wait for the referral to come through, and to have that appointment with the plastic surgeon.

Much love, Lou xx

JazzBaby

Hi Lou,

I'm so glad it's not more serious, although I can understand that the options for removal are quite nerve wracking for you and hard to deal with.

A really good friend of mine had to have extensive facial surgery when she was born. I can't remember all the details, but it was a lot of work and a lot of time in hospital. It involved more than the forehead, so it's not the same situation as Toby, but I guess the point of me telling you this is that you cannot tell when you look at her. She did show me the scar through her hairline, but you can't see it unless it is pointed out.

Thinking of you, thank you for keeping us updated xo

meljb

Lou - im so glad the MRI only showed up what was expected. I hope the next stage isn't too traumatic for you. :bighug:

flying kiwi - :dance: for a good heartbeat

mccarro - great pics

sjm218

Lou - so glad that Toby's lump was what you thought it was - what a relief! I agree though, that surgery sounds really full on, I can totally understand why you want to see if there is a better option. Poor little sausage, I hope you find a good solution.

flyingkiwi - wooo hooo on a good healthy heart beat!!! I hope you have an extremely boring pregnancy.

mccarro - Atti is gorgeous!!! Love his hair, Charlie has my weird not curly but not straight hair, so we keep it pretty short and spike it up a bit, I would love to let it grown but it looks awful, Atti's is cute!!

mel - sounds like Annabelle had fun at the zoo! DH took Charlie to see our neighbour's horses the other day and he LOVED them. I think he would enjoy the zoo now too.

jazz - Mason will walk when he is ready and will be running before you know it! I am very excited to hear you are planning another baby soon too!

We are very lucky with the car seats here. The one we have is supposed to last until he is 35kg, it has inserts that can be removed and a head rest that you can keep winding up and up and up, so I am hoping it is the only one we will need. I am buying the same one again for this bub. The only problem with the extended life is that they are big, very big, but we aren't planning on a third bub, so it isn't really too much of a problem

AFM - I am now only 11 weeks off my due date, I think the last few weeks are going to fly by. I haven't bought a thing for this poor baby, I actually went out to shop at lunch time to at least have a new outfit for the baby to wear home from hospital and I couldn't find anything neutral (that I didn't all ready have). So poor bubby, I thought I might have a look on Etsy for something.

Charlie is doing well, talking up a storm, new words all the time, he can now say ball, book, boo, wow, snack (well nack) and lots of other words, he will try to repeat most things after us now, so it is quite good fun. I think he is going to be a chatterbox!

Sleep wise, we seem to be dropping an hour of sleep a day at the moment, he has started to fight a 6pm bedtime, but happy to go at 6:30 - 7pm, has anyone else noticed this?

Food wise, I am noticing a bit more fussiness, but it comes and goes. Fortunately the favourite foods are anything green, corn, and carrots, not keen on potato, but loves mashed potato and pumpkin together, also not a big fan of meat. Fruit is a constant battle, he was eating watermelon, but won't eat it anymore. I resort to fruit purees, which he loves, but otherwise we have no fruit eating here. Any tips on how to improve this?? I keep offering fruit at snack time and he doesn't even try it, sooooooooo frustrating.

Not much else to tell, hope everyone is well.

ETA Charlie has been signing to me this week and I had no idea what he was saying (he learns it at daycare), well I finally checked his book today and find out he has been trying to tell me he wants milk . . . poor bubby, I thought he was waving to me. :blush:

Had my OB appointment today, all continues to be well AND I passed my sugar test - woo hoo!!!

Edited by sjm218

~*Lou*~

Vent alert!

I'm just off the phone from talking to mum. She had her "planning" visit yesterday, before her radiotherapy starts on Tuesday. To me, it sounds like she's suddenly aged 10 years in a minute. She was talking about the appt yesterday, how they treated her like a slab of meat, two technicians taking measurements and no explanations, no warm fuzzy care, she's got lines drawn all over her chest and no one told her it was happening or why! She went on and on about the cold grim building she's got her appts in, every day for the next 6 weeks. This will sound petty, but its my birthday tomorrow, now this is not a big deal, I'm a grown up, its not a significant birthday, I don't need a big fuss. But in a normal year, my Mum would be insisting on a certain amount of fuss, a family meal or outing, she'd bake me a cake. And even a month ago she suggested we drop the children with her and Dad for the morning and go out (her shout) for breakfast in a city hotel. Now today she's saying in a vague kind of way, oh do you still want to do that, like she doesn't mind if we even see them tomorrow or not. I know **I** have to get my head round the fact my mum is sick, she's not herself, not feeling herself either emotionally or physically, and this is only the start of it, treatment not even underway yet. I've been spoilt for so long with her being such a practical, involved, active grandparent to my children and now really, **I** need to step up and start being more a carer **to her**

Sorry for woe-is-me post, hope everyone else is having a brighter morning than me!! DH told me, only last night, he had to work this morning, so I had to take Claudia to swimming and entertain Toby in stroller on poolside for half an hour (tricky, he wanted out), and I haven't had a chance to shop for DH's birthday present (his birthday is Monday) so he will be getting an "I Owe You" intsead of a gift I think!!!!

Lou

ETA - SJM - well done!! some good news!!

Edited by ~*Lou*~

meljb

Lou - :hugs: It is soo hard when the roles reverse. The week my mum went into hospital for the last time it was my birthday. Birthdays were never a big deal for us, but I spent the day/night looking after mum at her house, away from DH. I don't think she even remembered the date. That really upset me (still doesn TBH). i knew I wasn't being logical, but logic doesn't come into these things. Being grown up has no impact either, as their kids we feel that they should always be there to look after us, not the other way around. so when it changes it is extremely hard to deal with, especially when you have to be strong for them in some way which makes it harder to process and deal with the mixed emotions you feel about the whole situation.

As for your mum being treated like a piece of meat - yep, that was our experience too. Some of these oncologists and technicians need to be taught that they can be pleasant and treat their patients well and that it makes a huge difference to how the patient feels and responds to treatment.

I hope you have a lovely day tomorrow, despite all this, you certainly deserve it.

sjm - 11 weeks to go, that's fantastic! Matthew wont eat pieces of fruit for me at all, he will eat squeezy packs like they're going out of style, but not pieces. He's much the same at day care, every time I new girl starts they say - "oh he didn't eat any fruit today" and I have to explain that it is a cause for celebration if he does eat any :rolleyes: I wish i could offer some advice that works but I don't have any! I just keep offering it and make a big deal of Annabelle having some or if DH or I eat some we always offer it to him too.

sjm218

lou - I think Mel said it best. I hope that despite all that is going on your birthday is still as special day for you. :hugs:

Mel - thanks for the reassurance on the fruit, I was beginning to feel like a bit of a failure. I will keep perservering.

flyingkiwi

~*Lou*~, :bighug: and vent away. You and your family are going through a lot at the moment.

sjm218, we have a non-fruit eater too. He'll occasionally gnaw on daddy's apple, but give him his own piece and he isn't interested. Doesn't really go for purees either (although I haven't tried for a while). He will have blueberries in pancakes, and loves his sultanas and craisins. I figure as long as he's getting some veges he's ok.

AFM I have a horrible horrible cold, and being pg I can't take anything - I've spent most of day in bed, thank heavens for DH taking Max for walks and keeping him occupied outside. Even if I'm feeling better I think I'll have a sick day tomorrow, just so I can enjoy the peace and quiet with Max at childcare. He's adorable but just full on!

mccarro

Lou - :bighug: I admire the way you're coping with everything that's going on. I hope you still had a nice birthday yesterday.

flying kiwi - I feel for you. I had that a couple of weeks ago and I'm still trying to get completely over it. I hope you're having a sick day today!

AFM - Atticus is driving me batty today. I don't know if it's because I'm tired, or if he's being particularly difficult today, but my patience has just about run out. He seems to be pushing every one of my buttons today. I think the straw was attempting a trip to spotlight. That place is awful, they never have enough staff and I was waiting in the queue for 20 minutes, but only ever had 1 person in front of me. And of course Atticus doesn't understand the concept of a queue, or even waiting, so it was a struggle trying to contain him. Now he's in bed babbling away, not sleeping yet, but at least he's not crying. Time for a cup of tea.

~*Lou*~

Here's the email I just sent family and friends .....

Dear Everyone

I’ve got good news! Finally I have good news to share!! :dance:

The plastic surgeon was lovely, and we were in and out in ten minutes after he read the referral from the neurosurgeon, looked at the disk we had of Toby’s MRI, and had a feel of Toby’s lump.

He’s going to do a midline incision (vertical incision between the eyebrows, right where most of us have vertical crease lines anyway). The scar will be minimal and fade with time (and generous application of Bio-oil). Surgery is booked for Monday 24th October. The procedure will take about an hour, under general anaesthetic, and Toby can come home the same day. He will recover quickly and should be right to return to child care (and there me back to work) after a week.

I’ve lost a lot of sleep worrying about this and am sooooo very relieved right now, feel like a huge weight has lifted off my shoulders.

Thank you to everyone for all the lovely emails and messages of support, it means a lot!

Much love to all, Lou xx

meljb
:thumbs: great news Lou!

sjm218

Fantastic news Lou - what a relief! !!!

kirsee

That is awesome news Lou : grin:

~*K*~

mccarro

Lou - That's wonderful!!!!

MegMogandFiestyCat

Lou that is wonderful news and vent away, Happy Birthday for this week

sjm, I hope all goes well in your last 11 weeks.

I hope all those with bumps are well and good luck to those who are trying.

afm I am sorry I haven't been on in a while, I went down with the bug that everyone else had for over a week and am only just now starting to feel human. While I was sick Rhiannon came down with 4 days of a temp over 40 degrees. It turned out that it was viral tonsillitis but she was really unhappy and would only stay attached to me. Anyone else who tried to take her including DH was left holding a screaming, fighting baby. As a result of us all being sick for so long and esp the days with the 40 degrees Miss Rhiannon now thinks her place to sleep is in our bed so I am now trying to teach her that it is all right to come in for cuddles but one must go back to the cot to sleep. Some days she gets this and other days not a hope.

We went to the zoo during the school holidays and Rhiannon loved it, was awake the whole time and fell asleep before the car had left the car park on the way home. She loved looking at the animals, walking but also travelling in the pram.

Rhiannon is chatting away so I think I have another chatterbox on my hands. She is no shrinking violet either, if there is something she wants or something Elizabeth has taken away from her she lets us all know. She also has no qualms about hitting her older sister, so I feel like I am constantly saying to Rhiannon, we don't do that here and to Elizabeth that Rhiannon doesn't yet understand. I might tell Elizabeth next time that she shouldn't try to constantly 'burp' Rhiannon, maybe she wont hit you then.

Apart from that we are bumbling along here, I have come to the conclusion that birthdays are overrated as mine was the other day and it was just like any other day with me doing just about everything. It didn't help that my cat had just spent 48 hours at the vet over the last weekend and had to back for a check up that day. We are also currently planning Elizabeth's 6th birthday party. She wants to go to an indoor play center but I would rather a park or at home. I hate the type of food that they serve and she really shouldn't eat it so we need to sort that out.

Hope everyone is well

Sarah

~*Lou*~

We had haircuts for Toby & Claudia yesterday, Toby's first. (Mummy still recovering from how different he looks!)

I also discovered, he is not yet walking unassisted, but he can climb - just like his big sister - heaven help me!!

Pictures here

SJM - when is your bub due, how much longer at work for you?

FEISTYCAT - yep, we have to think of Claudia's 4th birthday too, and I totally know what you mean about your own birthday being overrated now

I think we need a list of all the new bub's on their way so I can try to keep up!!

Lou :)

flyingkiwi

~*Lou*~, what a cheeky little monkey you have, gorgeous photos. Excellent climbing too. And really pleased to hear your good news about his surgery.

I added due dates to the list, but can't remember when I last posted it. I believe it's just sjm218, due in 10 weeks or so, mccarro due at the beginning of March and me at the end of March.

Fiestycat, wish we had a zoo nearby, I think Max would really enjoy it too.

Hi everyone else.

AFM, still getting over this cold but slowly getting better. Max is snotty and has a sore bot and is not his usual sunny self. But at least he's still sleeping well, cos I need my sleep at the moment! Having said that, he's stirring now, grizzling in his sleep, poor mite.

~*Lou*~

Dropping children off with a friend this morning so I can take myself to the GP - found a lump (its sore) in my left armpit. Hopefully frantically its related to breastfeeding (not yet weaned Toby).

Lou