Sign in to follow this  
happylucy

Placentophagy (Homebirth section)

happylucy

Looking forward to homebirthing in October/November this year.

Placentophagy appeals to me nutritionally/hormonally but still deciding how to prepare it. Can anyone refer me to someone who does placenta encapsulation in melbourne?

Also, and I fear this may sound naive/silly, most articles about placentophagy refer to the fact that we are the only mammals that do not routinely consume it. So, in nature, how does the mammal handle it? If they eat the placenta, what happens to the cord? Or do they not have cords the way ours do? Or is it safe for them just to break it off (without tying or similar)?

Thanks,

Lucy :)

peppersmum

Have you asked your midwife if she knows anyone?

If not and you don't find the information for someone who encapsulates it here then I am sure someone would know on the Joyous Birth forums?

I chose a Lotus Birth for my 4th birth so didn't have it done but my midwife said she just cuts off a little bit and gets her women to consume it at birth and then she cuts the whole placenta up into bite sized pieces and freezes them. She then gets them to swallow a piece each day like you would swallow a tablet. Apparently the women do this feel wonderful for it and are very sad when they consume their last piece.

new~mum~reenie
So, in nature, how does the mammal handle it? If they eat the placenta, what happens to the cord? Or do they not have cords the way ours do? Or is it safe for them just to break it off (without tying or similar)?

I grew up on a farm and with sheep the cord actually breaks itself when the mother stands up. By then it has well and truly stopped pulsing and collapsed. I have never seen a random placenta lying around when a mob of 500 ewes are lambing, but I'm quite sure they don't eat them (The fox's/eagles/crows dispose of them).

I have seen cats bite the cord and eat their cord/placenta.

I suspect in most cases herbivores do not eat their placenta's, where in carnivores do.

The Human Difference:

Humans do not routinely engage in placentophagia. Observations of Great Ape births in the wild are rare, but in one birth witnessed for wild gorillas (Stewart 1977 for gorillas) and one of two births witnessed in wild orangs (Galdika 1982), shortly after birth the mother ate the placenta but left the umbilical cord. Placentophagia has been observed more routinely among captive chimps (Marchant 1990) and bonobos. In the case of one parous bonobo mother, the afterbirth was delivered 14 minutes after the baby. The mother “abruptly reaches down to her vagina and pulls out the placenta. She vocalizes and immediately begins to consume the placenta. She continues to emit ‘pleasure’sounds as she eats, holding the placenta with her left hand while cradling (the neonate) and lying on her stomach. She then uses both hands to hold the placenta as she tears off large pieces…” (Bolser and Savage-Rumbaugh 1989). Great Ape placentophagia appears to be somewhat facultative. It is not known what role factors like maternal experience play. After a gorilla birth, the primiparous mother left the placenta behind in her nest. In the second of 2 births observed among wild orangutans, the younger mother (also a primipara) dragged the placenta after her for several days, but did not eat it. Across human cultures, the placenta is usually disposed of by burial or some other means, in a process that sometimes has ritual significance.

http://carta.anthropogeny.org/moca/topics/placentophagia

I guess even in the Ape world it's a 'matter of taste' :D

I do know someone who makes placenta tablets, but that is here in Perth, sorry :(

If you don't find any joy here, maybe try ringing around some of your local ind MW's - they would usually be in the 'know'. :)

Isis

I witnessed the first 8 births out of a litter of 11 piglets be born last year and I watched in particular what happened with the membranes and cords. A few of the piglets were born in the caul, basically as soon as they hit the ground and wriggled a bit, the caul broke open. Their instinct was to move around to the sow's teats, and the cords just seemed to snap with pressure. The cauls looked like they just dried up and evaporated within minutes. I got chased inside by mosquitoes so didn't see exactly what happened to the placenta. I should ask my friend who owned the sow.

Sambambino

I know somebody who does it. She is a Doula in Melbourne. Do you have Facebbok? I can PM you her FB details.

CountryBumpkin

new-mum-reenie could you please PM me the details for the encapsulation service? I'm very interested in having this done, but was having no luck finding anywhere that could do it! Thank you so much :)

happylucy

Thank you for your responses!

My midwife has offered to cut it up and freeze it all for me. Just debating the benefits of raw/cooked. From a TCM perspective it is better cooked (but my TCM doesn't offer the service or know anyone that does).

Sambambino - got your pm, thanks. I'll jump on facebook tonight and look it up.

I was googling last night and found this doula in melbourne eastern suburbs who also does it.

Tammy Halliday

"Mothering the Mother" TM

www.motheringthemother.com.au

Would love to hear from someone who's had it done. Bit nervous handing my precious placenta off to a random person IYKWIM :)

• Like 1