Sandra

August 2010 Parent Group #22

heidles82

GOLD!

Aminila - I'm sorry to hear you are in that situation. If you need to talk or vent we are here to listen and support you :hugs:

KMA - I hope you and DF get through your rough patch xxx

STML - Paige is such a champ helping getting dressed. Jackson rolls/crawls away when I dress him so it takes forever! I hope you and the girls get better very soon.

Slippers - glad to hear you had an awesome holiday! We were lucky when we went over that Jackson wasn't quite crawling so he was happy to stay in his stroller for long periods. If we went over a few weeks later it would have been a different story!

:waves: SG, M4S, Lex and everyone else!

I was just thinking - did we want to revive the question of the thread??? Perhaps I could start with asking everyone what they plan to do for their bubba's first birthday? A big party with lots of family and friends, or just a small gathering of family and close friends? We seem to be heading down the big party route wiht a guestlist of around 50 people (adults and children)! And I have just reminded myself that I had better get cracking on organising the invitations and decorations for the dinosaur themed party!

Skip to my Lou

Silver

I like your idea Heidles QOTT

Well I'm not actually a big believer in big firsts - but we are having one for Paige! LOL

With Frey we did a big second (actually we had two parties - friends in the morning, then family and our friends in the afternoon - NEVER Again 2 parties!! What was I thinking!!!) we chose to do it for her second because we felt she would get to enjoy it more than a first.

Anyways, I only do parties every second year - and don't want to do two parties within 8 weeks of each other. Frey had a party last year, so won't be this year - hence Paige having a large first instead of second.

At this stage looks like we might hire the local cricket hall (shame we won't have our new house - that would actually have room for people! LOL) Probably around 50 or so like you Heidi. She loves Hoot (from Giggle and Hoot) so will be doing a Hoot cake, and have already started on a Hoot themed invitation which just needs a little tweaking and it's done. Really must look into hiring the hall too - hope it's available! Lol

TotesFeral

Oh yay we are discussing parties.

By the looks of my list we will be having about 40 people invited.

I'm very excited.

Addison also loves Giggle and Hoot but I have chosen a "Look Whoos Turning 1" theme

I got the decorations and stuff off this site:

http://www.1stwishes.com/Look-Whoos-1-Pink...yKitDetail.aspx

The cake we are doing is just like the owl on the decorations. I'm also going to do a small smash cake for Addison to have to herself.

So far I have done up a name flag using owl quilt fabric to go around her high chair.

I've also done up a line of 12 flags that I will put a photo of her at each month and we will hang that up somewhere.

I'm going to go looking for somewhere to get a bubble machine from to entertain the kids a bit.

Ummmm I'm not sure what else I'm doing. I'm going to order some wooden cut outs of owls and paint them and hang them up around the house. I was also thinking of making a big stuffed owl for people to sign, or I was going to do some up some kind of box that people could put little messages to her in.(Friends of ours did a time capsule at their sons first birthday and I thought it was quite cute).

That is about all I have thought about at the moment!

My4Sunshines

(.Y.) :sorry:;)

GP said the scan reveals lipoma, good to hear that again, she is talking having it removed as it will most likely grow :shrug: , anyway we will see the paed surgeon Monday morning and see what he says.

If he says operate I think I will fall to the floor for sure :(

essy1

Oh M4S, hope there's no need to operate.

Aminila and K+M+A, :hugs:Aminila, I hope things are as amicable as possible and you have lots of good real-life support for you and the kids. K, I hope you get things back to an even keel. There's been a lot going on that's stressful, what with a new baby and planning a wedding! Can you do something nice, just the two of you? I took Monday off as it was my birthday but Elowen was still in daycare; DH and I went for lunch and went shopping; it was a bit odd to be out just the two of us without Elowen, but nice to have the day just being grown-ups - not doing anything special, just hanging out. I think it was really helpful for us just to be able to talk uninterrupted and without being tired!! Although I know that's rather simplistic and not really a solution.

Elowen started crawling properly last week but is already starting to take steps holding onto furniture - it's like she realised that she can move under her own steam so she's in a hurry to be able to run now! Far more challenging getting ready in the morning when I can't just put her somewhere and know she'll stay... and her two top teeth have broken through as of this morning. She seemed to be having a rough time with teething a couple of weeks ago but in the past few days she's been fine; no need for Panadol or bonjela, so maybe the amber necklace isworking its magic...

PS first birthdays. We will be in London so I am not planning anything major. We want to have a picnic on Clapham Common so we will probably do balloons, cupcakes, bunting, pretty frocks etc, without having atheme as such. I'm going to try to make that jelly cake if I have room / time but mostly it'll be very relaxed - and nice to have her first birthday in the summer rather than winter!!

Edited by essy1

whydoibother

Oh M4S I have heard that lipomas are quite common. I do hope they say to leave it xox

Ami I am sorry to hear of your separation :(:hugs:

Essy That is awesome! Go Elowen!

Everyone else :waves: I am so tired. Been down to Perth for Noah's eye. Sigh. He will have to go back in the next couple of months, go under a quick anaesthetic and do retinal scans/tests and an MRI to check the optic nerve and brain as well he is too little to stay still. He basically has low to no vision in his right eye. My dad and his brothers have a retinal disease so Noah may have this too. Feel sorry for him he has always been the sickly child :(

I have a rheumy appointment tomorrow here to get second opinion. I am still getting joint pains esp when it is cold and damp. Sigh. So over it.

As for birthdays, OMG Amelia is about to go to her second kindy party and they both have children's entertainment! It is like a competition! DH is like well what do we do for Amelia? How about a jumping castle :o I think he was only half joking :unsure:

Skip to my Lou

M4SS : Hope it doesn't come down to surgery - how scary for you all. Be nice if it just disappeared all by itself...

KMA: I have my own bubble machine - you can get them from Kmart, Big W etc - only around $20 (can't remember have had it for a few years) well worth it in my book. My only advice - go a battery operated one, then you can take it anywhere (ours has even gone to picnics at the park) a friend only has a plug in one which means it always has to be inside too -makes hard flooring VERY slippery ;) You sound VERY organised for the party, bound to look brilliant!

RD: :bighug: you seem to be having such a rough trot with so many things lately, hope your luck turns soon and once these things are sorted you have a nice healthy enjoyable time xxx

Essy: Jealous much A summer birthday for Elowen! I can't believe I had both my kids in winter - what an idiot. My mum had my sister and I in summer and it makes things sooo much easier. Happy Belated birthday by the way - must have missed that one on fb xx

Rumour has it..

Hi everyone...

Totally missed past page 3 or something of the last thread...whoops haha!

Heidles - aww a dinosaur themed party that is most awesome :D!!

STML - I like your idea of having a BIG second party..is that so the babies are actually more aware? but sounds so cute...a HOOT cake? hehe!

KMA - wow organised haha...Hope you are coping with Addison being in daycare today..! btw i love love love addison..that name is such a cute name!!

Essy - Dont you miss the "put them somewhere and they stay there" faze haha! im glad that teething is going ok for her now..! not nice when they are in pain and you cant do much to help them!!

RD - doesnt sound like a good fun time for you or your DS :hugs:

AFU - Well Bodie is a little mischief maker atm haha...he has now gotten to his knees and anything and everything he can climb/thinks he can he will.. so you put him on his play mat then 2 seconds later he is standing up using table/couches/toys/tv stand (:o) & parents haha! Last night was a horrid night for the first time since he was about 4 weeks old he would NOT settle and eventually at 11.45pm he decided he would get comfortable in between DP and i and lie diagnol so we were on the edge of the bed haha!!

He is loving meat...last night we had beef cassorole and he ate his whole plate and was sooo sad when it ran out such a cutie haha!!

QOTT - We are having a "Flinstones" theme, as he is a mini bam bam hehe! once my 21st is out of the way i am going to get cracking on planning his birthday...so exciting! Gonna have all our friends/family there so should be roughly 60odd people! :)

xxEm

heidles82

Loving all the themes! We are going to a first birthday party tomorrow so Jackson will be an old hat come august :D

Edited by heidles82

essy1

Hey have any of the new parents started their kids watching tv yet? Elowen hardly ever does, mostly because of being in daycare so much, but a friend on Facebook had something about going to see 'Yo Gabba Gabba' at the Opera House as part of the Vivid Festival... she has a daughter a little older than our babies, but also has a 3 or 4 year old, but it just got me wondering when I will become entrenched in children's TV and when I will instinctively just KNOW what yo Gabba Gabba is....!

lexington

NO to parties.. Sorry ladies I'm the grinch of kids birthday parties. They can have one when they are older a d want their friends to come I guess. But I can't handle it now. L is still in our room and hes talking lol. I didn't mean to neglect this thread just hard to get on at work. I felt like I was being monitored there.

Little L does the cutest bear crawl. Haahhh makes me laugh.

Sorry no personals. Hate typing on the phone.

lexington

Essy - girl yo gabba gabba is the shizzle! D loves it. Yes my kids watch tv and my Snr Mgr was judging me!

TotesFeral

Oh STML thanks for that. I had already spoken to the guy about hiring one and it is $48 but if I can just buy one I shall!

Thanks everyone for the support, DF and I are getting there!

Lex - I can totally understand not wanting to do parties. I'm just a sucker for making things :blush:

Thanks Buttermelt. She did have a good day in day care. Only really cried when she had to go for her morning sleep so she didn't get much sleep then but she had 2 hours in the afternoon. She was so excited to see me when I picked her up. Was all giggles and waving her arms. She even waved goodbye to Julie, I think she just wanted to go home :lol: The Flintstone theme sounds really cool! I can't wait to see photos of everyone.

Essy - Addison does watch a little bit of TV :blush: Especially this week as it has just been raining non stop. She is intrigued by Giggle and Hoot and Thomas the Tank Engine. Everything else she does not really pay attention to.

Hi to everyone else :waves:

Have a good weekend.

Skip to my Lou

buttermelt: yeah we did a big 'second' for Frey so she would get more out of it, am really glad we did, if things had worked differently, def would have done a big second for Paige instead, but oh well, I'd rather have one party a year than 2 every second year LOL. Love the Flintstones theme, Paige's godmother calls Paige 'Pebbles' (after THE pebbles of course) I can't wait until she has some hair so I can put a bone in it and take a pic :)

Essy: Frey never watched TV till she was older either, and if I could stop Paige I would -but because Frey watches some now, Paigey is obsessed. I am not one to allow telly on all day - just a bit in the morning, and a bit in the afternoon, I do love kinder days when it's not on and I get to play my music instead..ahh bliss...

I totally disagree Lex, I HATE Yo Gabba Gabba to the point of turning it off when it comes on. It's like brainwashing, so repititive and annoying I just want to slap DJ whatever his name is! LOL

AFUS : My lot all still sick, P has had the runs for a couple of days now, strangely food is exiting immediately, but formula stays in?? At least something stays in I guess. Her appetite is only slightly less than normal, and she loves water so we are managing well. Her poor little bottom isn't. We were changing her every half hour yesterday (using disposables whilst sick and boy do I feel guilty causing all this landfill when I have beautiful cloth sitting there to be used) but her little bottom is still red raw. OD on the sudocrem I think.

I am feeling so much better, Thursday DH had to stay home from work, I didn't even have the strenght to sit at the table and feed P her breakky, I had to go lie down, full body aches and cough and so on. Just have the dregs really now, still a headache and stuffed nose but VASTLY improved. DH is running a day behind, so yesterday was his really bad day, at least we could tag team it! This is the first time all four of us have been sick at once (F had to miss kinder on Thursday too - she was not a happy girl)

take care, stay healthy xx

ETA : Sara how is the house sale going??

Edited by Skip to my Lou

lexington

Lou go get amolin if you can. My mil bought us one tube before D came much as I like to disagree with the out laws it is good. It's rich and oily. Heals the little Ls bum really well.

You either hate or live gabba. I hate the wiggles and I want to kill them like physically run them over in my car. Make it the ute so that it gets it done for sure.

Please thank you please thank you please thank you lol

Don't bite your friends don't bite your friends!

My4Sunshines

Hope all the sickies are feeling better today

Agree Yo Gabba Gabba :sick:

Taj loves the Foxtel EOFYS add and will almost get whiplash from turning his head so fast to watch it, there is another add he loves but can't think of it but I think his favourite is the start of the show The Zoo on GEM at 7pm weeknights, omgoodness, he squeels and flaps his arms and legs and if he's feeding he will stop and turn himself to watch it, only the music at the start not the show itself, so cute and funny to watch :happy:

I have dd2 home with a shocking cold, yesterday she was awful, full of it and a high temp, thought I'd have her home for 2 days yet she had a good night last night and is better today so she may be back at school tomorrow.

I have sent dd2 & 3, who share a room, to go and have a 'rest' as dd3 has a horrible cough as well, and all I can hear is them giggling, dd3 shouting, dd2 shhhhing her etc... so much for a rest :rolleyes:

Took dd1 to the paed surgeon today and she will have an operation to remove the lump :unsure:

The Dr was sooooo nice and spoke TO dd1 told her all about the procedure in that it is day surgery and she will have a sleep under anesthetic and get breakfast afterwards (she was thrilled at the 'free' breakfast - ahem yes after we paid the $250 bill for him and will pay the $200 hospital excess - yep lovey its free ;) ) anyway the way in which he described everything was outstanding and we all feel good about it. I took her back to school and all was good, will see if anything has changed after school.

So she goes in on June 22nd to the hospital where Taj was born then a post op appointment on July 4th then I go in to have a hysteroscopy, d&c and mirena on July 13th, funny thing I rang my ob to say yep lets go ahead with the mirena then I get the paper work from her and it has the other 2 things as well :huh: , anyone else heard of d&c when having a mirena inserted??

Our phi and excess will get a flogging this year compared to others.

Holey moley 40 mins till school is out, where did my day go??? :(

heidles82

Good afternoon!

Jackson doesn't watch much TV yet - I have it on during the day when I am home but it is usually on one of the lifestyle channels :D

M4S - Sorry to hear DD1 has to have surgery but it sounds like she has a wonderful doctor! I hope she enjoys her 'free' breakfast ;)

I have the Mirena in, but didn't have the other two procedures. My OB put it in after doing a pap smear 3 months after Jackson was born. I think it's great - no having to worry about pills or condoms. Plus I haven't had a period since October 2009 :thumbs: Although I am still BF so that may also be a factor.

I am just about to head off to pick up Jackson from my mum and dad's, then taking him to the PIL's for another sleepover tonight - much easier than having them come over to my place in the morning and waking Jackson up.

slippers

Howdy, all. I've been fighting blocked ducts in my right breast since Sunday, went out an hired a big 'donteffwithme' breast pump last night to try and beat this before I get mastitis but haven't cleared it yet. The baby is supposed to be the best way to clear a blockage but Sophie gets discouraged when she is sucking and not getting anything so she pulls off and cries. I'm so over the battles with attachment, blockages, mastitis blah blah blah.

Enough whinging.

what they plan to do for their bubba's first birthday?

We will have a little party in the back yard like we did for the first two, invite close family and friends. Will probably just do a barbie lunch and some games for the older kids. We always think its going to be small but by the time you do the head count you realise there are about 50 people coming. No theme, I suck at themes, they're too much work. I just tell the kids to dress up as their favourite characters or something lame like that.

babybec

M4S - :bighug: that DD has to have the op, :lol: free breakfast! I don't have a mirena, I went with the Implanon but sounds a bit weird to have all the other procedures, maybe to check the uterus after birth?? Worth a quick phonecall I guess.

Slippers :hugs: bugger about the blocked duct...lots of warm showers and heat packs too?

hired a big 'donteffwithme' breast pump
:rofl: love it! Great job getting this far with all the issues, I'm a bit the same, even though it's much easier than it was, pumping at work, dealing with a bub who doesn't want to feed some nights, very on and off some days, just want to stop it all sometimes, then I have a good day and just think I should just keep going.....

STML :( poor Paige, I second lex, the creams that are a bit oily are great, my mum gave me COVITOL, which is zinc (about double percentage than sudocream) and cod liver oil, stinks but is really good

Hi everyone else :waves: sorry not making it in much, way to tired lately, Melbourne winter getting me down I think :(

AFUS-poor little Immy has terrible nappy rash/thrush/something?? with little white spots/blisters, been using antifungal cream but it's getting worse so I've told DH to take her to doc, didn't go today GRRRR!!! She doesn't seem fussed by it thank god but so annoyed that DH doesn't make taking her to get checked for things like this a priority, even if it doesn't look like she's really sick. Washing all nappies with canesten, and using disposables to see if that works, I know the feeling about landfill STML! I'm not used to throwing away so much, especially for wet nappies! Good to hear you were able to keep going, you were a bit over the MCN's awhile ago.

Skip to my Lou

My girl can poo again! Sooo great not having to change her every half hour! And wonderful to have her back in cloth!!

On another note, am rethinking the first party. I'm just not comfortable getting a hall (too big a fuss for a first, not to mention the trouble (decorating, cleaning) and the expense (not just hiring which isn't that bad, but having to invite extra people so it doesn't look empty, then feeding them etc) It's been really stressing me out. My house just doesn't go well with lots of people, but we will either do this, or go to a local restaurant that has a play room, or the local pub which has a little seperate room we can use (for nothing - as long as we get meals of course). I would rather go out - due to my house design being cramped for a group of people, not to mention quite a few kids - but know that various people (like my sister) will make a huge big deal of having to pay for a meal. It really is impossible to please everyone. Maybe I could give all families a $20 voucher to go towards their expense or something?? How would you feel if you were invited out for lunch for a first? Too inappropriate??

Slippers: good luck with your boobies x

Bec: hope DH gets Immy to the doc today, I would be pretty frustrated by that too. Hope her little bottom clears up quickly xx

My4Sunshines

skip If you want to go out to lunch for P birthday then do it especially as you say your house isn't big enough.

Yes I would go out, if people want to be pills about it then there is nothing you can do other than suggest they have it at their house dev%20(6).gif Puuuleeese who doesn't like going out for a meal??

Anyone else having issues at night with bubbas not sleeping? or it it just our little gem?? :dry::yawn::sleep:

Aminila

My4Sunshines You're not the only one with sleep issues. Kaylee has slept for a max of 7 hours twice so far, and with her teeth still being a pain and just moving around and still not coming through she regularly wakes up at least 2 times a night :( I need more :sleep:

Skip to my Lou Yay for being back in cloth! I like my cloth :) although their dad has said when he has them to put them in disposables :( He wasn't a fan of cloth but he used it at least i suppose.

babybec Hopefully the rash clears up soon so you can have a happy baby back in cloth :)

K+M+A Hopefully things are still going well with you and your DF :)

Birthday party wise i'm probably just going to hire the playgroup for Kaylee and i think Brody can miss out on a party this year, he has a party for the last 2 years. I'm not much of a theme party person, i'm more of a just get everyone together and feed them lol. My aunt is coming over from Sydney about a week after Kaylee's birthday so i'll have the party then.

TV wise i'm bad, the tv get's turned on at 7am when Brody wakes up and turns it on and i turn it off when we go out or he goes to bed for his day sleep :( But in saying that they don't just sit in front of it all day, he's just always back and forth.

Brody is having his first sleepover with his dad tonight so he should enjoy that i hope (He has had sleepovers at my aunts before Kaylee was born, but none since).

Ex and i have decided that he will have the kids 1 weeknight and 1 weekend night a week and the weekend night will alternate Friday or Saturday, but at this stage it will be just sleepovers with Brody as Kaylee is still feeding through the night.

I also have a rent inspection on the 16th :( but it should be easier to clean up for it now that a lot of Ex's stuff is gone.

lexington

Aminila how are you going?? Is there a chance for reconciliation or counselling? I hear you on the tv.

So I erm.. left the front door open and L was nearly about to fall down the front step. oppps my bad. I'm not used to him being mobile. I'm used to him sitting and yelling to be picked up.

Why is Yo Gabba Gabba bad? Have you seen what bands perform on them? Ting Tings!

TotesFeral

No M4S my little gem has been not sleeping well either. More teeth are coming through, her fourth one up the top and I have a feeling 3 and 4 down the bottom as well.

Yo Gabba Gabba just freaks me out, not sure what it is about it then.

Skip - Wouldn't bother me at all going out for somebodies first birthday! We have no room at our place so are holding it at mum and dads.

The birthday supplies came yesterday, I'm so happy with them!!

Aminila - DF and I are still going strong, I do think we will get through this. How are you coping? Does your real estate expect you to have the house spotless? I just do the basics for ours and never had any issues. Although they usually always say the lawns need mowing because for some reasons it pours down raining for days before every inspection :rolleyes: I hope Brody's sleep over goes well. I'm glad things seem to be pleasant between you guys atm.

Babybec - I had to get an antifungal cream for DD when she was younger, it works a treat so if you can get her into the doctors I would go.

Well at the moment Addison is being a tad sooky. She has cracked it at the gym creche the past two times whereas she is normally perfectly fine there. Hoping that she is okay at daycare tomorrow as I have an exam so can't really be taking phone calls to go pick her up.

Get to go have newborn cuddles tomorrow as well when we meet our new little niece!!!