Sign in to follow this  
LadyLove

Playgroup in a home?

LadyLove

I'm back with another playgroup question :D

I'm wondering how people would feel about attending a playgroup in someone's home that you had never met before?

Chelli

Hi :)

Personally I'd caution against it for a few reasons:

Firstly, if someone injures themselves on your property, there may be legal implications for you as the organiser in your own home.

It may put people off attending if they don't know you.

There may be damage to your property, and it may be awkward getting people to fix that damage, leaving you personally out of pocket.

If you get people attending who you don't feel comfortable having in your house, it may be hard to deter them from returning.

I would consider all of those points, especially the insurance one :)

Chelli

Julie3Girls

We used to go to a playgroup at a private home.

The owner didn't have any young children of her own, but was running the playgroup as a business, and it was fantastic.

She was on an acreage, with a large room at the side of the house that had all the playgroup things, which was big enough to use as a play area on rainy days.

She made sure it was easily accessible for people - had a sign at the road that she would put out on playgroup mornings, and entry was through a side gate straight into the back yard. That did make me feel a bit more comfortable walking up to someone's house.

No idea about the insurance side of things - we paid a weekly fee, and at the start of the year, or when you joined, you needed to pay for membership in the playgroup association. I think that covered some sort of insurance?

She also later was running a family daycare at the same time, so we had to sign in for playgroup, and I guess she would have insurance to do with the FDC as well?

But I had no problem at going to a private home. She kept all the doors in the house shut. Toilet was clearly marked with a sign on the door. She also had a baby gate blocking access to the kitchen, and children weren't allowed in there.

We actually became a really tight group, and were all very much at home there.

Jembo

You will probably find insurance an issue, you will have to extend your policy. Plus you will need a licence from your council to operate a playgroup at your home on that extent and then may have to have similar conditions such as daycares operate.