JKC81

how do I keep flies off my dog?

JKC81

since we moved in nov I have noticed that our dog always has flies hanging around him. He doesnt smell bad or anything and they are really annoying him so does anyone have any tips to keep them away from him?

kjr2

We used to buy a fly repellant cream that was designed for horses to put on our dogs ears when they were being eaten by flies. Probably an expensive solution if they are all over the poor dog, though.

I think we also sprayed them lightly with Aeroguard!

Red Cabbage

Ask your vet about "Advantix"

Feral*Spikey*

You could also use those fly traps to reduce the flies in the vicinity. I'm in the country where cow patties are very common. But a year after we started using those traps (liquid in the bottom), the flies around the house and dog run reduced significantly. Plan to continue doing that!

My dog DIY insect repellent. She loves rubbing through the leaves of our peppermint gum tree, and our rosemary bushes. She usually smells lovely as a result - and potentially edible. :laugh:

You could try a rub down with some fresh rosemary to see if that gives your doggy some relief. I've used the fly repellent on wounds, it works extremely well. Might be worth a dab or two of that on anywhere that the flies are biting.

noname2

Are they little flies? Do they bite his ears? We had this problem with our Labrador and the vet sold us some flea medication with fly repellent in it. It's the kind that you squirt behind the head. One little squirt and no more flies for the rest of the summer! Much easier and more effective than topical repellents.

JKC81

noname2 they seem just like normal small flies but they must be biting him on his ears as he has been scratching them flat out and one ear has started to bleed a bit on the outside at the back of his ear, will go to the vet and see what they suggest. We are renting so I couldnt let him inside to get away from them, dont know why I didnt think about it sooner but we have converted the garage into a toy room with carpet and couch so have just been having the door open and letting him spend the day in there and the flies dont seem to be following him, he has been loving it sitting on the couch in there and I have the tv on for him all day to watch lol

Elenore

My dog had the same problem with flies annoying her. I started putting Troy Fly Repella cream on her ears, but it wasn't helping. It got so bad that her ears were bleeding from where the flies were biting. I took her to the vet. The vet prescribed her Ilium Neocort cream. The tube says it is a "anitbiotic, anti-inflammatory, anaesthetic skin emollient cream". The vet said the anti-biotics in the cream would heal up the ears and the anaesthetic in the cream would numb the ears so my dog wouldn't feel the pain.

The vet also prescribed Permoxin. It is a fly-repellant for dogs and horses. I had to put some in a bottle and mix it with water, then spray my dog with it twice a day.

Within a few days my dog's ears started healing up and the flies stopped annoying her. Within a couple of weeks the open wounds had covered over and fur was starting to grow on her ears again. Definitely go and see your vet. My vet told me if my dogs ears got even worse, then she would have needed to go on steroids to fix her up, and the vet wanted to avoid that because the steroids are strong.

mildred76
We used to buy a fly repellant cream that was designed for horses to put on our dogs ears when they were being eaten by flies. Probably an expensive solution if they are all over the poor dog, though.

I think we also sprayed them lightly with Aeroguard!

I do both of these things for my dogs. Once the flies start biting and drawing blood it attracts more flies.

Poor dog : (

JKC81

thanks for the replies its only a small patch that has started to bleed will try and get him into the vet this afternoon

Phoenix Blue

So glad I found this thread. My Lab has the same problem. I'm hosing down the outdoor area regularly, washing her bedding, she is clean, poos disposed of, no food left around - yet flies on her, and biting her ears!

I've been cleaner her ears daily but it hasn't really been getting better.

I'm off to the vet on Monday so will ask about the things suggested. I hate seeing her bothered by the flies.

Thanks, Kate

Roobear

The flies use to bite the ears of my two labs and make them bleed. We use to put shaving cream on their ears. It worked but pretty messy so maybe the fly repellent as pp suggested would be better :)

The Old Feral

You can buy the doggie version of Aeroguard from any pet supplier or vet. They're usually citronella based.

We have one at the moment, it's called Supershield and was about $30 for a big bottle. Doglet doesn't particularly like being sprayed but it does the trick. You do need to reapply quite often though, every few hours.

bigglet

We use muscaban which we got from the vet

jfl

Well, no doubt the vet will give you something that does the job. But for a fraction of the cost, I use Aerogard or Skintastic sprayed on my fingers and rubbed on and around the ears and face of the dog. Be generous, and avoid broken skin. They don't like it much, but they won't like whatever the vet gives you either, if it works. Once the flies stop biting, the ears etc will heal up quite quickly.

Agree with prevention strategies as well. Those fly catching bottles can make a huge difference.

Canberra has been transformed by dung beetles, introduced in the 1960s. You will notice that in old clips of politicians in front of Parliament House, they were beseiged by bushflies. Now they are gone, mainly thanks to these industrious beetles. If flies are a big problem where you live, it is worth asking the CSIRO about the possibility of introducing some beetles around where you live. I know it sounds silly, but it really works.