daviesjv

What age should kids get a mobile phone?

Guest Iwishicouldtype

My oldest DD is 11 and there have been times in the last year where I have thought her having a mobile phone might be useful. For example, I often drop DD1 and DD2 at sport for 1.5 hours, or i let DD1 walk to friends houses/to local shops and *I* would feel better knowing we could easily make contct with each other. But, to be honest, she is almost never left in a situation where there isn't a responsible adult around so there isn't really any need for her to have a direct line of contact with me. I do also think its important to teach her coping strategies for when she is on her own- to learn how to quickly think and act rather than stop and call mum. I want her to understand that when she is unsure or frightened there are lots of well meaning people out there that will be willing to help her; teacher, coaches, other parents, shop staff etc. Her first point of call should not be to phone home, she should use her brains and the people around her! I want to have faith in her good sense.

At this stage, I am planning on charging up my old phone and putting a paid sim card in it when DD1 goes to high school in 2 years time. By that stage there will be large periods of time where when will be on her own and navigating various forms of public transport and going from place to place. So I think its appropriate for her to be able to communicate with me then. I imagine there will be strict rules in place about ite use.

Edited by Iwishicouldtype

Accidental

I'll be buying DD a simple phone as soon as she is in a situation where she is independent and something could go wrong, for example catching the bus by herself or walking to school. I had coins for a pay phone in my bag from 5 years old, since there are no pay phones around anymore I think providing something equivalent is just good parenting.

lotsakids

my kids were allowed to have phones when they went to high school....until then I always knew where they were and could contact them via who they were with or zip down to pick them up...

high school is an hours bus ride away now and one of my kids is diabetic..he has his phone with him at all times in case of emergency, and wont hesitate to use it to get help if needed. I make sure he always has credit.

the older kids have to pay for their own credit..the younger kids, I will buy it for them when I can afford it, and if they have earnt it doing extra chores..they dont use their phones much, the novelty has worn off...the younger kids had phones that cost 19 bucks each from k mart, the older ones buy their own if they want anything fancier..

goddessof1967

How on EARTH did I manage to get to and from school, sporting activities, other after school activities, hang out with friends on weekends etc. etc. etc. without a mobile phone when I was a teenager???? You all need to read "Free Range Kids' - you're doing your kids more a disservice than you realise. I don't understand why you need to be in constant contact with your kids when you should already know where they are and what they're doing. They'll always feel like they're being watched not to mention feeling like they're never trusted.

Buying your child a phone especially one with a camera at 9!!!! is just priming her for trouble when she gets older.

Edited by goddessof1967

twotoddlers

i'll let my children have mobiles when their in highschool.. it will make me feel better knowing i can contact them anytime and they can contact me anytime for emergencies..

Eslyssa

I want any child of mine to have a very basic prepaid mobile as soon as they are old enough to go places on their own. Whether that be down the road to the corner store, or dropped at a friend's place etc.

It only needs to be able to make and receive phone calls and texts, but I want my child to be able to call me, or the police, in an emergency.

I also want to be able to call them if there's been an accident and I will be late etc.

Iris37

We brought DD1 a mobile phone at 13, the reason being she developed type 1 Diabetes at 12 years old . At 13 she was going to highschool by bus and spending more time with friends that she met there from different area's. If anything happened to her away from school either her or her friends would be able to use the phone to ring an ambulance or us. Id say had she not developed Diabetes it would have been at least another2 years before she got one.

Edited by Iris37

DontKnowDontCare
How on EARTH did I manage to get to and from school, sporting activities, other after school activities, hang out with friends on weekends etc. etc. etc. without a mobile phone when I was a teenager???? You all need to read "Free Range Kids' - you're doing your kids more a disservice than you realise. I don't understand why you need to be in constant contact with your kids when you should already know where they are and what they're doing. They'll always feel like they're being watched not to mention feeling like they're never trusted.

So I suppose that during all those activities you never ONCE had an emergency happen? Never had a situation where plans changed and you needed to contact your parents and let them know, so they didn't fret something had happened to you? Or vice versa?

Lucky you..

Super_85
I want any child of mine to have a very basic prepaid mobile as soon as they are old enough to go places on their own. Whether that be down the road to the corner store, or dropped at a friend's place etc.

It only needs to be able to make and receive phone calls and texts, but I want my child to be able to call me, or the police, in an emergency.

I also want to be able to call them if there's been an accident and I will be late etc.

I agree with this post by Eslyssa.

Also one of the main reasons for giving your child their first mobile could be how much they use public transport. I would not want child to get on the wrong bus and not know what to do, and then have no way to contact me.