Sign in to follow this  
gleemer

Starting a 'sort of' playgroup

gleemer

Hi all,

I have recently been looking for a playgroup in my local area and am not able to find one. There just isn't any. I was wondering if you girls have any ideas on how I could start one but less formal IYKWIM. I don't really want to register with Playgroup NSW but would like to generate some interest for weekly get togethers with other mums and bubs in my area. I guess on on less structured timetable. I don't have friends with children in this area and would like to meet some mums and bubs for my DD to interact with. I was thinking of posting up a notice at my DS preschool? WDYT? Any ideas? Oh I forgot to mention, I'm in Leppington.

snuffles

I'm not sure how that would work but just be careful regarding insurance. The reason a lot of playgroups are listed with Playgroups NSW is because they provide insurance for us, so if any medical bills etc arise from an accident at playgroup then we are covered.

If it is a casual group meeting in a park or something you'd probably be okay, but just be aware.

gleemer

Yeh Snuffles, I realised that when I read up about playgroups. I guess what I'm looking for is a more casual meet up. It's a shame there's no playgroup in my area. I guess I could start one up but know it's a huge commitment and don't think I'd be able to do it on my own. I guess I need to connect with other mums in the area first and then maybe that could be the way to go - start a playgroup I mean. :)

Any ideas mums?

Sassenach2

Could you join the ABA and go along to meetings, where your kids could play with the others?

Guest mummy4eva

Maybe try posting a message on your state forum here on EB.

Feelwild

How old is your child? If you have a baby you could start a 0-2yr old playgroup that had little to no structure. I went to one like that when my first was a baby.

Being registered with Playgroups Australia means that you are covered for insurance and you would probably get a discounted hire rate at a community centre/hall.

You could put flyers up at your local Early Childhood Centre.

Karen

gleemer

DD is 5 months old so that sounds good. Yep, am thinking about the flyers - that's a good idea. :)

Rilee's~Mama

What about putting a flyer up in your local coffee shop (there's a GJs near me that has a huge corkboard with all sorts of messages on it).

Ask at local baby clinics (you know the ones in chemists etc?) if they know of any such groups, or if you can put up a flyer there.

Agree with PP, post in local area forum on EB.

gleemer

Some great ideas girls. Thanx :) Has anyone gone to a 'group' like that cold turkey? I mean having not known anyone?

flyingpenguin

I lead a playgroup and I'm always on the look out for people who might be interested. I find that I meet other Mums/caregivers at places like story time at the library, the toy library and the local park. It does take time and a lot of the people I talk with express interest but then don't come. That said, some members of the group have joined and stayed as a result of a personal invitation or seeing a notice I've put up.

As the person initiating a group, you help set the group dynamics, which can play a big role in whether or not people get involved and want to stay. IMO the more welcoming, friendly and inclusive you can be the better.

Going to a group cold turkey can be scary, and whether you feel comfortable often depends on the dynamics of the friendships in the group (eg. do they want more members, are they basically nice friendly people, how long have they been meeting already etc...). Also other practical issues like the age of the kids, preferred activites and the set up of the meeting venue will also play a role

If you don't want to start a formal playgroup, then making a regular playdate somewhere public (eg. park, playcentre) and inviting more families along as you meet them might be a good way to go.

HTH

whipmix

Hey there,

I'm in prestons, so not too far from you i think? I have a 4month old ds and an almost 3 year old dd. would be happy to meet you somewhere for a chat if you like?

judy_

I've been involved in 2 - informal 'mothers groups'. The first started at a local Child health centre and we just swapped names and did morning tea at each other's houses once a week.

The second started with my oldest began pre-primary and the mothers noticed there was a lot of younger siblings who would all start school in the same year down the track.

WE drop the older ones at school and then walk to someones house or teh park for a catch up once a week.

YOu could post a notice at your local child health centre.

gleemer

Hey flying penguin. Thanks for great advice. Where's the playgroup at?

bigglet

Sounds like you are after a Mum's Group rather than a formal playgroup.

Ring up your local council who will be able to give you your local maternity centre who has a list of contacts with people in your area that have the same age children as yours. Speak to the health nurse and she may be able to organise something or at least put you in touch with some of the local mums around.