Sign in to follow this  
Kafkaesque

Traumatised dog after having his coat clipped

Kafkaesque

My 2ish year old Shih tzu x cross went for a haircut on Monday and came back a different dog (not just in looks). He is being really skitish, runs everywhere instead of walks, must sit with someone as close as possible of if not with someone with his back/body pressed up against the couch, either doesn't keep still and roams the house at a run or will lay around for hours sleeping. He isn't play fighting with my other dog anymore either.

As background I got him in August as a rescue and he was a little similar behaviouraly when I got him to how he is now. Both dogs went to a boarding kennel over new years for 4 nights but he was fine when I collected them. A week after being at the boarding kennel he had his haircut.

I don't know if it was the trauma of the haircut, he has been to the groomers twice before when my other dog has gone but only had a wash so no idea if he had been previously clipped. Or my other thought was just that it was too much for him to be sent away and put in a cage similar to how he was kept at the rescue place. Am leaning towards the haircut being the issue though as he was fine when he got home from boarding.

So after all that what do I do? I will of course take him to the vet if he keeps acting this way as he can't be happy but in the mean time what can I do for him? Also how long do you think I should let continue before taking him to the vet as I keep thinking he will calm down but it has now been 3 days?

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

*Hazlenut*

Our male Lhasa Apso was acting like this after a haircut recently too, he was doing everything you described plus he would run a few steps then sit down really quickly, runa a few steps then sit down again etc. We took him to the vet as we where worried and it turned out that the groomer had clipped his ball sack area (he is desexed) too short and had caused a skin irritation that was just driving him mad. He ended up having to wear an elizabethan collar and had a cream to put on there until it settled down.

Coud this be what is affecting your dog?

jfl

Since dogs don't have a self image the way we do, the mere fact of being clipped can't be the problem.

So, three choices:

As Sweetpea suggested, there was some injury related to the clipping;

Something traumatic happened during the clipping; or

The behaviour has nothing to do with it, and something else has triggered it.

Best of luck in working out which it is!

Pearlberry

When my dog goes from a big boofy dog to a skinny little one he does act differently. In his case I feel it is from the loss of security and the protective feeling the fur gives him. He shrinks to half his size!

For him, little frequent haircuts are the way to go.

Unatheowl

Hi, sometimes they can get a rash or irritation from the clippers and it causes them to do exactly what you are describing. Sometimes it gets so bad that it leads to dermatitis. Your dog seems like he is uncomfortable and irritated, especially as it is going on for a while. Also, they can actually get burnt by the clippers as well if the groomer is not vigilant of the clippers getting too hot.

Check your dogs skin all over and see if there are any subtle red marks anywhere. I woudl also definately take him to the vet for a check. It is very unlikely that this behaviour is psychological, he just seems very uncomfortable.

I treated a dog once that I had clipped to take blood and she got clipper rash so badly that her skin in that area peeled off and she had to be on antibiotics for a while. This is extreme but dogs react differently. The fluffy white dogs act like your dog is acting.

JustBeige

my girl reacts badly if she gets clipped too closely - same x breed too.

She scratches like a demon too. We find that we just have to give her frequent wetdowns until the hair starts to grow in. We also have some stuff called StopItch. its a tea tree based pet spray and this works quite well for her.

We also find that getting her back to a strict basic training/rewards regime helps settle her back down again.

leebec

Our border collie was a completely different dog for the first 2 days after my mum had her clipped back for the first time. It took a while she was neurotic. This was around November 2009 and she sees the groomer every 3 weeks. When my mum had her clipped again in November this year she was fine. Did not react at all but know exactly the behaviour you are talking about. She seemed to snap out of it after about 3 days

Prickly

Was he given a flea/tick treatment ? My dog had a reaction similar to this. He now can't have this particular treatment ever again.

Kafkaesque

No there was not flea treatment given, I specifically asked not to as we don't have a flea problem and didn't see the need for chemicals.

Ok thanks for all the replies, it would seem then that it is skin irritation from the clip. He did go from rather long hair to really short and I do know there were a few sections that were matted as even with frequent brushing (will be keeping him clipped now) so perhaps those sections really pulled when they clipped him.

Thanks for the help. :)

PurpleNess

Clipping can be a stressful situation for a dog, especially if you don't know the dogs history, often the case with a rescue. I'd be speaking to your vet and ask their advice. Clippers are noisey and invasive, lots of dogs hate them & many dogs are very sensitive to noise & vibration.

In the mean time stick to your routine as best you can, don't make any major changes to his day or the way you treat him.

Then again he could just be getting used to not having a big fluffy coat!

shelly1

Have you used this groomer before? Clipper rash can mostly be avoided as long as the groomer knows what they are doing.

Also check what shampoo they use - some use cheap stuff that can irritate the skin

Kafkaesque

Shelly1, yep I have been using them for over a year now with my other dog and had no problems.

He is getting back to normal now so I think it might have been the noise of the clippers and then finding himself with no thick coat. I checked for rashes or marks from the clip but he hasn't actually been clipped that closely so I don't think it was that, I think it might have been too much for him.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Soontobegran

One of our puppies seems to act odd for a day or so after her grooming---sometimes worse than others. She is what's best described as skittish, which is not like her.

I asked someone who also takes her dogs to this place and she is querying that she may use some type of sedative on her before her grooming and she is reacting to that?

The salon says they don't and the dogs are always happy to go in there but I have been wondering????

shelly1
I asked someone who also takes her dogs to this place and she is querying that she may use some type of sedative on her before her grooming and she is reacting to that?

The salon says they don't and the dogs are always happy to go in there but I have been wondering????

Could be ACP - which is a mild sedative and used to be used for difficult dogs (I dont know any groomers who would use it now though)

Another thing is does this groomer use a "drying room" which is usually a series of crates with a dryer pumping full force at them - you could imagine this would be very distressing. I think they should be made illegal but some groomers still use them.

In the end you may be right. Being a rescue you dont know what type of experiences he has had with grooming and it may be the actual process. Hopefully if it is a good groomer he should settle down with each groom.

Good luck