Sign in to follow this  
Sandra

October 04 Parents # 217

Pam*B

Oh yeah that's another good one, I wait till I'm in bed and sip it in bed. Very relaxing.

So will you go back to the bar Amanda?

What did the kids get for their birthdays?

Gotta run, and meeting friends at the pool and we want to go early before it gets too hot.

Mum to Thalia and Dylan

Hi Ladies!

V - amazing weightloss - well done, you must be so proud of yourself!

Amanda - hope all went well for the birthday party, looking forward to seeing pics.

Pam - you brought tears to my eyes talking about Gemma....one of our dogs is getting on in years, she just turned 11 last year and is starting to show alot of aging signs...I'm just too scared to take her to the vets (pathetic I know...)

Sharon - I think you could teach a course in cake making.....what more could you possibly have to learn!?

Lou - can't believe Joe is old enough for kindy!!

Sherryn - glad Cass settled in ok.

Nik - how you going with the odd socks :p

Thalia started back at school today and it is Dylan's first day tomorrow :dance::dance: soooo excited!! (Dylan is as well ha ha) and I'll be starting back at work this week as well after 6 weeks off....not as excited about that tho....other than that all is well, I'm trying to get back on the weightloss band wagon....just not overly motivated atm....I'm doing the exercise, that part doesn't phase me...it's the eating all the right foods that does me in, but still I'm slowly losing it, if I really pulled my finger out I could lose it a bit faster!

OK better go...kids have been going to bed for the past hour :doh:

Ciao

Bi/xx

Pam*B

Hasn't our little group just been so busy lately?!

Did you enjoy your 6 weeks off Bi? Hey now that A is older does she still go to work with you?

Sharon I remember when your lost your dog, and Sherryn I remember when you lost Jessy too. It's hard to be really dedicated to a pet in terms of time spent when you have children. I take comfort in knowing the kids paid her a fair bit of attention when they were in the yard. I wish for once I could have a pet that dies peacefully in their sleep of old age, and doesn't require putting to sleep. I've had to do that 3 times now and it sucks.

Oh you have to see this. I want to own this book it's so beautiful. If you can take the time to read it you won't be sorry.

Days With My Father

Jed is going to Elaine's today, his old FDC lady! She called me yesterday and asked if he'd like to visit for the day with his old mate who still goes there in the hols. So he's off out today, and Eve and I are going to Willi beach for the morning, then we'll go into Willi for some lunch and icecream and a bit of window shopping. With that in mind, better go get ready!

GIO

Hi All

Well my new years resolution isn't going too well. I have tried to do the AGM minutes but every report says "See attached" and I don't have the originals to attach. Crap, crap, crap.

I have two laptops here. The new one has all the fancy specs, that, well mean nothing to me. But it doesn't have ctrl + insert for copy and F5 doesn't refresh. What a pain!

So I've decided to keep the old laptop and give Lydia the new one for practicing her spellin on. LOL

We are stuck inside today. Too hot & windy to be doing much.

Cheers

Pam*B

Can't you just do control C for copy and control V for paste like the rest of the free world? :lol:

How sh*te was today's weather? We ended up swimming at an indoor pool (which I hate, being indoors and swimming that is) but it was too awful for the beach.

LouiseT

I wish I was down to my last 5 kilos girls....sigh. I've lost the Christmas weight, but have plateuxed. Argh! I've been consciously cooking healthy things I've never cooked before - lentils, quinoa, making sure we have a couple of vegetarian nights per week, and the kids hate it. Feels so frustrating and hurtful to see how much is left in their plate. I know it is typical of kids to resist new foods, and I'm being a bit irrational.

Also had a scare with Joe on Monday - he ran away from me at the shops. Sherryn, do you know Spotlight at Everton Park? I was in there buying some fabric, and he was playing nearby while I was getting the fabric cut and paying, he decided to go and look at the DS games at Harvey Norman - 3 shops away! I didn't realize he'd left the store and was frantic. The Spotlight people were searching for him, making announcements over the PA system, etc, when someone said they'd seen a little boy run out of the store a little while ago. A nice employee at HN noticed Joe alone in the store, and Joe evidently revealed I was in a different shop, so he was bringing him down to the shop next to Spotlight to find me when I got out of the store. Joe wasn't in the least bit concerned. I think he just was getting bored in the fabrics, and assumed I'd show up eventually. He cried when I told him I would NOT be buying him the game he had been admiring at HN. Little toad. Aged me another ten years.

Pam*B

That's such a scary feeling Louise, so glad he turned up safe and sound!

when someone said they'd seen a little boy run out of the store a little while ago.
...and they thought nothing of a wee boy leaving the store by himself until it was announced over the pa system that he was lost? Some people are thick.

2 sleeps till school. Not that they're driving me mad, but I am looking forward to getting back to routine. Tennis back tomorrow, then Monday, tues and Wed yay I can start doing something about my spare tyre in earnest.

Louise I hear you on trying to find a balance between meals I can lose weight with but that the family will still eat. Turns out, it's impossible. What I find easier is just to keep cooking how I always cook (except with a few less pastas) and I just reduce my portion sizes. Plus I don't eat the potatoes.

Edited by Pam*B

lostmyid

I've posted back to school pics on FB. Poor Angus has to wait until tomorrow for his first day as they are 'phasing in' the pre-primaries. Steed was a bit unwell this am and I was debating as to send him off or not...he had a pulse so I sent him. Seems ok now but looking at the pictures he doesn't look too clever.

littleman

hi ladies

amanda - glad the party went well. thanx for the sleeping tipc, i think its stress a bit and this hot weather we have atm.

Pam - will check that book out, i read a great book on last wek, "five people you meet in Heaven"enjoyed it, easy to read as well:)

Nik - hope all okay in your camp:)

louse - yeah apprently 80% is what you put in your mouth lol, the rest exercise..however there are added benefits of exercise obvioulsy. OMG at Joe, Lucia is like that she will just run off, etana never used to she was too scared we woudl lose her lol.

been to gym, so bloody humid here..so over it, sorry that my whinge:(

got to run, making a curry tonight, hope it tastes okay:)

lostmyid

Hi all. Thank you for my birthday wishes.

I've hurt my neck today...but I have posted on our FB page. All advice welcome.

Pam*B

Happy Belated Birthday Nik! I'm sorry I missed it.

Shaz I've read that one. There's another one I read of his too, what was it called...I'll have to google and come back.

We had no power here for about an hour, we were all walking around not quite knowing what to do lol.

Shaz...For One More Day, same author.

Edited by Pam*B

littleman

ohh why no power?

other book he wrote was "Tuesday at Morries" read that last year loved it:)

am reading two atm, one about "PI' sorry cant remember thetitalt and another title BEES lol.

Winnie The Pooh

I know that I really shouldn't be complaining, but man, this heat. It's YUK.

We're expecting another scorcher tomorrow and hot again on Saturday. At least when I do my "fun run" it starts at 6.45am. this is my first ever fun run and I'm looking forward to it. Will think about doing another one in August, but don't want to look that far ahead just yet.

How are you doing with those last few pesky kg's Sharon? Think I've plateaud a bit now, but will keep up what I'm doing.

lostmyid

Not that you can see it well, but the chair the kids are crammed onto is my birthday present.

It's been pretty hot here too. I've stopped taking the temp in the shed...over 45 the numbers stop meaning anything :cry:

Good luck with the fun run V. You are a better woman than I ever will be.

I've got to get these kids in bed. I'm done for.

Nik

PS be proud of me girls, I did something new today! I used my new Master debit card for the first time! I've never had a cc before and my word it was odd to say the least.

Edited by lostmyid

littleman

hi

v - i know its horribel this weather isnt it, and hotter tomorrow saying mid 40's now, it esp gets hot out this way:(

WOW a fun run, so funny you say that i have been considering entering one, but dont know where to look and what sort of fitness hey expect??

Why do you think you are plateauing?? I did for ages, it def gets harder as you get nearer. i did okay this week another .4 down, so over all i think teh last 4 weeks lost 1.7 i knwo it doesnt seem alot but it is for me, so i am now 3.5 kilos away from my first goal:)

NIK - lol at the cc....dont go wold woman:)

must go been at the gym, hot and sweaty.

Pam*B

Don't know Shaz, it wasn't just us without power tho.

Your chair is gorgeous Nik. Did you get any birthday presents or wishes from your sisters or mum?

OM*G the loudest thunder clap just then...nearly fell off my chair!

I've got my friend Kell coming over tonight and she's cooking for us (long story). She's making a pizza with pear, gorgonzola, rocket and proscuitto.

I've been meaning to read Tuesdays at Morrie's but every time I go to the library it's still out so I get something else. I could book it but then I hate it when I get the letter and then I have to go to the library to get it, instead of just looking for it when I'm there. It'll turn up eventually. Anyway I just finished The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder, which was a beautiful story and the same author (so in the same vein and set in the south too) as Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood.

Ooh, friend here. Ciao for now. xo

lostmyid

Do you remember last year after my dad died that my mum bought us all 'something to remember dad by'? I couldn't think of anything that could be bought after he died that would help me 'remember' him. ES wanted diamond ear rings etc....well because I didn't know/want mum bought me a Kitchenaide mixer, Princess Martha, and told me it was for my 40th from her and Dad. I met GS on Friday last week, drove for an hour in my beat up old car with no air con, with all of the kids to have coffee and cake at a bookshop...the kitchen was closed when we got there and it was only a cool 43 degrees outside. I know that presents aren't what it's all about but I was a little upset when she didn't even give me a card...she hadn't been able to find the 'right' one, lol. ES sent me a text on Tuesday AT 11.30PM!!! "happy birthday Nicole". Bloody hell, 11.30 PM?!?!?

So that was it for my birthday. Andrew gets home tomorrow. We'll see what happens then.

I wasn't going to mention any of that...I figure that 'my friend' on FB said enough.

joshie

Hi all!

Nik I LOVE the chair! Happy belated birthday from me too! xx I find the lower my expectations for my birthday the better - then I'm pleasantly surprised with whatever comes my way!! That sucks though xx

Shaz - that's one of my fav books! I read Tues with Morrie but liked 5 People much better - what was the other one like Pam? I've often picked it up but it hasn't grabbed me.....if anyone wants a FAB sad read - One Day by David Nicholls - my all time fav at the moment!

Louise - OMG - that is such a busy carpark too - just crossing from Spotlight to HN - that little truck entrance! Glad all ended well.

Ah Amanda, the lovely Minutes - don't miss them!!

V - when's the "fun" run!!

I'm off to a cocktail party tonight - I'm tagging along with another friend - feel funny about that but I'm sure I'll be fine! It's with our school mums but a few years above my kids.

This weather is crazy isn't it - humidity is at about 90% already - crazy!!!

Pam*B

Sherryn it was good but nowhere near as good as 5 people. It actually took a bit to grab me too, almost didn't keep on with it.

Shocking rain last night. I've never in my life heard such heavy rain falling so consistently for so long (since 2pm yesterday constantly till around 7am). Floods all around here. I'm supposed to be going to my nephew's 2nd birthday tomorrow which is on the other side and the freeway I would use is closed. I'm not sure what to do, the party is at 10am is an hour drive in normal conditions. Will wait and see.

Winnie The Pooh

:waves: hi ladies. I survived, but I'm well and truly stuffed that's for sure.

Sharon, you don't have to be super anything when it comes to these things. We were asked to self seed ourselves. Obviously the elite athletes and runners up front, then work their way back to ppl who were walking and pushing strollers etc. I must admit at the beginning when I jogged for the first 3 km's there were ppl walking after the first 200 meters and it was a little difficult to navigate past them, around them etc, but you just had to deal with it best you could. Drink station was an abstacle course of plastic cups sprayed from one side of hte road to the other for about 50 metres and I think a few ppl had run ins with the cups and may have gone down, but I didn't see any of that happen. Was relived to get to the end and anything under 58 mins will be a bonus.

I'm' really very proud of myself, it's such an achievement for me and I feel I've come such a long way from october last year :) Onwards and upwards. Bring on the Pub 2 Pub, that will be the next one.

Pam, I've heard that the weather down your way is horrible. A flow on effect from Yasi and what its been dumping all over QLD. Think we hit about 40 degrees today, wouldn't be surprised anyway. What is wrong with the country at the moment. It's just all over the place.

Sherryn, the run was this morning. Dee Why Beach to Manly Beach. Spectacular route. One guy was standing on his front lawn with his hose and spraying us as we ran, jogged, walked, crawled past, lol.

OK, I've had a shower after being down at the beach this morning and I'm going to have a nap. Have been up since 5.30am. I sound like such a whinger.....

Pam*B

You so should be proud of yourself Vanessa! I know I am. Well done! :clap:

Sherryn have fun tonight.

Yes the weather is awful lots of flash flooding including in my area, but nothing like the poor Qlder's. They say the flow on effect should reach Adelaide, which is incredibly when you think about it.

Borrowed Atonement from the library today.

Made a yummy soup tonight want to share. Eve loved it too, Jed not so keen but he really didn't give it a chance.

Fry onion, garlic and bacon, add 4 large grated zucchinis, 2 chopped unpeeled potatoes, and 800mls chicken stock. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer till potatoes are tender. Season with salt & pepper then puree. You could add a bit of paprika I'm told but I didn't have any. Serve with crusty bread.

Next time I'll chop the zucchini instead of grating, I hate grating and it gets pureed anyway so couldn't make a difference.

Edited by Pam*B

LouiseT

Well done Vanessa! Good on you! :D

Nik, belated birthday wishes love and the chair is gorgeous!

I'll give that soup a try Pam, sounds delicious. Keep safe in the crazy weather.

Sherryn, what days do you work this year? We need to have coffee love!

Had a nice day yesterday. Two of the kids had friends over and they swam, and laughed. I made pizza dough and home made pizza for them for lunch and they all fell upon them like the ravenous beasts they were, LOL.

Paul made spring rolls for dinner whichI enjoyed but the kids hated. It was lovely that he tried something different.

Off to morning tea this morning to visit my godson for his birthday!

Have a good day, peeps!

GIO

Hi All

Vanessa - That is ace! you should be so proud of yourself - I certainly am (proud of you, that is).

And, yay, I started my health kick in October too - we have been like little twinnies, getting fit and losing some weight simultaneously.

Pam - Ty spent over an hour on Friday night trying to get home - this whole little pocket was blocked off - so he is in our suburb onlyu 3 streets away from home, but couldn't get in. the littlet creek/drain thing had flooded. Our neighbour across the road had the water in her backyard and it came into the house (just) - she further downhill than us, so we were fine - althoght the water came in our front door which was weird, oh and some came in the back door too.

Then we had my nephew's birthday and got turned around 3 times because roads were still closed at 4pm Sat arvo. Feel guilty even talking about it after what Qld has been through.

Pam - mmmm, I might just use that recipe - as I have zuchinni going mental in the garden.

Louise - Poor Paul - it sucks when you try something and they hate it and you are left thinking "why bother?" One great thing about my dad is that he would always say to my mother "you may not be the best cook in the world, but if you have gone to the effort to make a meal for me, I will always do you the honour of eating it" And he did.

Sherryn - How was cocktail evening? I'm sure after a couple of cocktails you would have been feeling mighty fine.

Um, speaking of weightloss - I can't remember if I told you girls that I got to my goal weight. Yay me. I can't help but think - Hmmm, I could still do with a bit off the tummy and the thighs - LOL.

Ty is out this morning buying a new telly. He is so excited that our "old" one that is only 7 years old has broken volumne, and so now he has a legit excuse to get a new one.

littleman

morning ladies

pam - wow the extreme weather hey!!! hot /humid/bush fires and floods:( we still in a heatwave here, i think now its a record breaker..longest ever:(everyones grumpy and tired:( Def Read Tuesdays at Morries, but agree Five Peopel you meet in heaven alot better:)

nik - hope dh spoils you:)

Sherryn - did you have a good night out:)

v - you should be so proud of yourself:) i know i am, well done:) Do you still think you are plateauing?

Pam - will have to try that recipe.

Louise - pizza sounds yummy

amanda - well done on reaching your goal, i am still a little way away..but am determined to get there, i agree abotu tummy and thighs though no matter what i do it doesnt seem to budge those areas. I think i will have to start doing actual sit ups rather then crunches but i always find them more stressful on my neck.back:(

amand a- rick is a tv freak he likes hem big..lol to me they are liek cars, just get me from a to b.

just mowed the front lawn, might do th back another day...off to a 40's soon.

cheers

Pam*B

Good on you Amanda congrats! I'm yet to begin. Not that I'm being particularly bad, I'm just not trying to lose weight until tennis begins in earnest (which is tomorrow).

LOL at Ty...I've noticed most electrical appliances last around 7 years these days. At least that's what happens around here. As it happens though my fridge which I hate and which is about 10 years old refuses to die dammit.

Re the water coming in your front door, that is weird, given it's up so high. As for the back, I would just assume there's a stormwater overflowing somewhere near by that's seeping into your yard.

Didn't go to nephew's birthday, anticipating exactly what happened to Ty, and as they're out your way, hearing that, I'm certainly glad I made that decision. Was on the way home from my wax yesterday when I reached a river rushing across a road that used to be a dry floodway!

Oh yeah Shaz, today is coldish, had the heater on for a couple hours this morning! And now I'm in trakkies and long sleeves. Feels weird.

Amanda that's why I made the soup, a friend gave me two enormous zucchinis from her garden. They were so big I only needed to use 1, which was the equivalent size of 3-4 large supermarket zucchinis. You can't really go wrong, if you add too much zucchini, just add more stock.

Graham is out with Eve seeing a movie, and I am here, just sidetracked on the way to the recycle bin lol. Going to do some baking just need to decide what. Something slicey/muesli-ey/easy/lunch boxy.

Edited by Pam*B