Sign in to follow this  
Sandra

October 04 Parents # 217

Pam*B

Sorry didn't answer the questions. My back sorted itself out late last week and it's been perfect ever since. I didn't do any gardening, it just felt like I had.

Oh and Sherryn that's so exciting, your trip I mean. Can I come? :pray:

Edited by Pam*B

lostmyid

Table manners, really quickly...

my inlaws put their plates on the floor after dinner and let the dog lick them clean. So totally gross.

GROSS!!!

Nik

Pam*B

:o

Do they then just slip the licked clean plates back into the cupboard? Or do they actually give them a proper wash with water and detergent? :rofl:

lostmyid

Does it matter? No amount of soap and water can fix that evil habit. It took me years to eat off their plates.

Mum to Thalia and Dylan

EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sick:

GIO

Ewwwww - Now that's gross.

I don't have time for "don't like it" LOL. Since we've introduced dessert we say "you don't have to eat it all if you don't want it, but there will be no dessert" which means they'll usually eat it. Lydia is good. Henry is excruciatingly slow. Bram doesn't really understand it, so he gets dessert regardless.

Tonight I made yellow button squash with a bit of melted cheese on rice. It looked so boring and bleerrggh, I did feel sorry for them. LOL. Esp when I then serve up a delicious couple of curries for Ty and I - one was the with the button squash but too spicy for them. Oh, if only I could get a happy compromise.

Pam*B

Do they like spag bol? I make a big batch of it sometimes, add some grated vegies and freeze batches. Then when we want something spicy they have defrosted spag bol. Plus anytime I make something they love that freezes well, like meatballs (which I also put grated vegies in), I do the same.

Sorry, I sound a bit like Suzie Homemaker don't I lol.

You know what? Introducing dessert as a means to get them to eat or reward them for eating was the worst thing I ever did. I started it when Eve was little, before Jed even came along. I didn't have anywhere near the eating probs we do with Jed...she was picky but she did what she was told (oh how sweet it was!). So I absentmindedly introduced a sweet treat after dinner because she did so well to eat things she didn't like. Then along comes Jed who's stubborn to the max and this is what happens...

J: don't want it.

G&P: then don't eat it.

J: ok...now can I have dessert?

G&P: No.

J: WAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! BUT BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH AND BLAH BLAHDIBLAH!!!

G&P: Ok, go your room and calm down.

J goes to room, then comes out and declares he'll eat dinner. Takes one bite, then "don't want it".

G&P: then don't eat it.

J: ok...now can I have dessert?......

And so it goes on. Every single fricken night.

If it's working for you, fantastic. Wish I could say the same. :( I don't know how to fix it. Am wondering if I should remove the dessert thing altogether, but that will probably be worse. Or is this it for us for the next few years. Maybe it will get easier in a year or two. I could say dessert causes such drama in this house, we are banning it :lol:

Edited by Pam*B

lostmyid

Andrew eats dessert EVERY night. Ice cream or cake or chocolate biscuits or something. I've tried to stop him but to no avail. Seeing daddy eat pudding every night Catherine asks for it ALL THE TIME. I say no. Andrew usually dishes her up some of whatever he is having. We've talked' about it but it still happens. Drives me insane. The little kids don't get dessert often simply because there isn't a huge range to offer unless we go for sorbet, rice milk custard or jelly. And if nothing else it is really $$$.

Oddly the one who gets dessert more regularly has poorer eating habits than the others.

joshie

Pam we had a similar problem - I just didn't like my kids expecting dessert everynight, so now it's just on weekends - and it's usually just ice cream. Since finding out Cassi has QLD teeth (low enamel on her 1st adult molar) - I have turned into the sugar nazi! It's amazing how much "healthy" food has sugar in it too.........

I have a lovely day off today! Have to go for an ultrasound soon (no I'm not pregnant!!) - just having migraine/period issues again!

Josh and Cass went back to school yesterday - I had a little teary at my baby being part of the big school! She survived and so did I! ;) Poor Josh is in a class with none of his close friends - he was a bit down about it but he'll be fine!

Alrighty, better vac before sneaking to spotlight before my appointment!

Winnie The Pooh

Hope it all goes well Sherryn.

Oh wow, that's right QLD children are back at school now. Hayden starts on Monday. I'm looking forward to finding out who his first grade teacher will be.

R sets the most horrible example for the kids at dinner time. Drinking soft drinks and after having cheese/biscuits. I've been on such a health kick since last October when H turned 6 and seeing him do this just makes me want to throttle him :rolleyes: .

We don't always do dessert, just sometimes. I don't force the kids to eat their dinner, if they're hungry they'll eat. Elizabeth has been eating like a bird lately, picky picky picky.

I've got a g/f's 40th b'day on Saturday and I know that I'll have a blow out in the food and drinks dept, but I'll just get back on that horse the next day. There's still a life to be had :)

Hope everyone has a nice day for Australia Day.

Take care everyone

littleman

okay have read...

pam - thanks for the link to the blog:)

V - well done on the weightloss, hope its a good 40th and yes you have to enjoy yourself, its one day not everyday.

Amanda - glad Ty is enjoying CK.

Bi - sounds like you had a great day:)

Sherryn- the trip sounds lovely, have been to Phuket, i loved it.

nik - ekk thats terrible:(

Food, uhm my kids are fairly good eaters, etana probably better then lucia, but lucias not fading away thats for sure. Etana will eat for dessert fresh fruit with either some custard or yogurt. But yeah we have the "i dont like it..." happening here too mainly from Lucia. That kid could live off scallops, sauages, salami, halumi..i kid you not:) i think thats the wog in her lol:)

We are hoping to go back to Italy late this year, to go see alot more of it, either that or paris and New York lol. Lots of stuff happening in our lives atm, but will keep quite until i can share the news with you;)

best go:)

eta - rick is pretty good with food, probably better then me, lol he also goes to the gym, not as frquent but he doesnt really need to lose weight just tone up, in fact in all honesty i can say hes getting better with age, whereas i am just feelgin rather tired and old.

Edited by littleman

Pam*B
Poor Josh is in a class with none of his close friends - he was a bit down about it but he'll be fine!
Why do they do that? Is it not policy there to make sure he's with at least one friend? That's what our school does and every other school I know of does the same. I'm sure he'll be fine but it doesn't get the year off to a happy start for him does it?

I don't think I mentioned it last year but I was really anxious about who we would get for teachers. With regard to Eve she's entering her last bit of primary school so it's really important she get a good teacher who will get her ready for high school. But there was no point requesting anyone as we knew the principal was doing a big shake up (moving teachers around). I had a small number of teachers in my head I hoped for, plus one dream teacher. Well we got the dream teacher, so I'm over the moon. I don't have to worry now for the next 2 years. Jed on the other hand had such an amazing teacher last year and I was hoping he would get someone who is quite strict as he thrives in structure and rules and can't stand other kids playing up. He did get such a teacher, problem is she's pregnant and leaving in 5 weeks. AND they haven't replaced her. AND there is a rumour we will end up with ET's indefinitely until they do. If that happens, I'll be marching with placards, I can tell you that. Do I sound like one of those school mums? I hope not...we just have a principal for whom the kids are often not the first priority. It's all about the $.

I just didn't like my kids expecting dessert everynight, so now it's just on weekends
That's a good idea, except I have the same problem as Nik, Graham is a sweet tooth and would have real difficulties giving up dessert (assuming he could at all). Besides the guy just quit smoking, I can hardly request he now give up icecream lol.

in fact in all honesty i can say hes gettign better with age, whereas i am just feelgin rather tired and old.
Isn't that always the way? Look at George Clooney! Bloody men. I don't think Graham has improved with age and that's def the smoking. Which was such a shame because I always thought he had such a nice face and I thought he was ruining it with smokes. But now it's been 3.5 weeks he's already looking a little less wrinkled and tired and has a bit of a glow.

Shaz lucky you! How exciting, will the girls go too? Hmm, your news sounds interesting...

GIO

LOL - Dessert isn't pudding or anything that normal people would consider dessert. It might be one jellybean, or yoghurt or a tiny bit of stale cake. LOL. Anyway, it's working for this household so we'll stick with it for the time being.

Shaz - How exciting about Euripe - And no way, are you old, you are the fittest person I know. You are always at the gym, you are smokin' hot!

Bram turned 3 on Sat - can you believe it?

He wants a dinosaur cake - Or did I already tell you that?

littleman

pam - we were lucky enough also for Etana to get a dream teacher last year, in fact i woudl say the best techer in the school, i didnt know it at the time though being a newbie. Not sure who she will get this year, but i actually want someone quite strict, she needs alittle shake up after these holidays.

eghhh - yeah men why does that happen, I remember when i was doing gender studies and we were talking about tv presenters, and most of the news presenters were young to middle aged women, or at least they look it, but all the male ones can be old farts. lol.

Amanda - so you making a dinasour cake, that will be cool.

I have been asked to make cakes again, 3 for one lady in one weekend:0

amanda I feel far from HOT at the moment lol,but thankyou for the compliment:) I will hopefully get aorund to posting some pics in our facebook group:)

Need help ladies have been suffering insonmia now for at least a month maybe more, I am tired when i go to bed, but when my head hots the pillow i just wake up:( I seem to toss all night and where as before i woudl hear anything in the night, just sleep through it , now i hear everything and once i do i am wide awake agin, its getting to me right now, i need my sleep, i love my sleep, the best sleep i get is when ricks gone to work and jsut beofre the kids get up, which is baout 1 hour if that.

help......

Pam*B

Happy birthday Bram!

What date is Jemima's birthday? I know I should know this :lol:

Shaz I suffer from insomnia off and on. When it hits me I take valerian. It's a natural sedative, works wonders for me, and I only need it for about a week then I'm back in the habit of sleeping through. Be careful though...different brands come with different doses per tablet. And different people need different doses to get the right balance between sleeping through without feeling heavy headed in the morning so you need to experiment to begin with. I need 400mg per night and had been using a brand that had 200mg per tablet, but I once bought a brand which had 1000mg per tablet and didn't realise. Sometimes after a few days when it's built up in my system I can reduce to 200mg and get the same result.

Amanda we don't technically have dessert in the real sense either. As in I'm not heating up apple pies or serving cheese cake or pudding. The most desserty thing they have is a scoop of icecream. Otherwise it could be a biscuit, a handful of chips, whatever. So it's not the actual dessert that bothers me, it's the fact that it causes tantrums at dinner time. And the fact that due to my own stupid fault they think it's normal to eat dessert every day. When I grew up thinking dessert was something you had at a restaurant, special occasions or when people came to dinner.

Yeah Shaz I thought you looked smokin hot at your 40th 15 months ago...so you could only look even more amazing now.

Better go. Am going out for dinner with a gf and need to finish getting ready.

LouiseT

Hiya chicks!

Joe's first day at Kindy (pre-Prep) tomorrow! Woo-hoo!

All the others were back at school on Tuesday. Poor Imogen, wee little mite, is just exhausted and has been teary and fighting with her brothers every afternoon. I think the heat plus a big day after so many weeks off is hitting her hard. Have to say, first day of year one was a non-event. Since the kids all went to Prep, they found Year 1 a doddle. Just found their seats, started colouring and said "see you later."

Just realised I haven't taken a "first day of school photo!" Must do that tomorrow...on the third day! :ph34r:

Dessert here - I was against dessert every night, but Paul undermined me on that (like he did with wholemeal bread, the big dork) so the kids usually have an iceblock or scoop of icecream every night. Paul has a bowl of icecream with cream poured on top ( :sick: and yet I'M the one with high cholesterol!!!) so I couldn't tell the kids they can't have any. He is basically a complete softy and can't bear to see the children upset.

Better go, he's just arrived home and I haven't started dinner yet!

lostmyid

Amanda, Elaine made a dinosaur cake for Jesse last year...a volcano dinosaur cake! I'll FB you the pics. Was AMAZING!!!

Winnie The Pooh

Happy 3rd b'day Bram :) A dinosaur cake ehhh! Remember to put up some pictures Amanda.

Yay, school goes back this Monday, can't wait. Oh, hang on, that means I go back to work too. Sigh, oh well.

How is Lainey going? Nik, have you been in contact with her lately?

Forcast is for rain today, it's been quite hot and humid here the past few days, the change is nice. I think we're supposed to get a little rain over the weekend too.

I'm off to the races tomororw for a g/f's 40th b'day. I just know that I'm going to have a blowout of a day, but i'm prepared for it and I'll just get back on my horse (lol) the next day. Sharon, you're going great too. I def agree that those last few stubborn kg's are the hardest to get rid of.

Louise, all your children will be at school!! Wow, can you believe that? Oh yeah, gotta to the mandatory first day shot.

Pam, how's it all going at home now. The pics you put on FB of your beautiful/faithful companion are just lovely.

All good here, I'll have to put up a pic of me all frocked up for the race day. I don't usually do pics, but seeing as though I'm 16kg's down since H's b'day last October, maybe I won't mind giving you all a sneak peek :tongue:.

Better choof, breaky dishes to clean up and it's off to swimming lessons with Miss E.

Take care everyone.

Pam*B

Wow V! Congrats that amazing weight loss! You need to update your ticker.

Gee, Joe at kindy. Holy moly.

Graham undermines me with the brown bread thing too. I gave that up in the end, eventually they just wouldn't eat it once they discovered the existence of white bread. So now I just buy the hi fibre one from BD, better than nothing.

You know it's 9.55am and my kids are still asleep! I've been up since 9 having a quiet coffee and surf. Bliss.

Things have settled down here now. I was really teary for a few days, and I still can't get used to not having to feed or water the dog every day and not having to remember to pick up poo. We had a dog in the yard for 16 years including Max, so it's surreal.

I didn't tell you but on the day we took her to be put to sleep, when the kids and I took her to the park and lay with her under a tree for a while, Gem put her head in my lap and stayed there. It was the only physical contact she had initiated herself in her whole life. She was always a dog to just sit quietly beside you. She lapped up any patting and scratching but she never nuzzled or licked or jumped on you. So I never felt like she really trusted us. But when she did that, it was like she knew, and it was like she was finally saying "yes, I really love you and I know you love me". It was the most beautiful thing. Anyway, corny I know but I'll never forget that time I had with her under the tree.

Winnie The Pooh

:cry: oh Pam, that's just beautiful. Pets somehow have a "sense" don't they.

Oh, the ticker is from the beginning of this year through the 12 week challenge that I'm participating in over Jan/Feb/Mar, it's getting updated weekly :tongue:.

littleman

hi

pam - i think the sleep thing might be an age thing lol, or hormonal i dont know, it comes and goes, but its so frustrating. I checked out your blog, and what you wrote brag tears to my eyes. We had alittle dog for 14 years Missy was her name, she passed away in 2007 and i ahve many a day where i feel bad abotu myself becasue i the way i neglected her, but alot happened and i guess she was last on my list.... i relay regret it though. But they were stressful times, i liek to think she knew i loved her, because i did,.

V - you have done an anazinfg job, woudl love to see the picture. And let go one day isnt goign to make much of a difference, if its any conselation i had a donut today:)

Louise - wow all at school hey:)

v - ep sure is hard to lose teh weight at the end, i hoped on teh scales today i shouldnt have and looks liek another .5 down from wednesday but will wait till next thursday to be sure.

okay jsut back form the gym, have got some housework to do...boring stuff really:(

have a great friday everyone:0

joshie

Oh Pam, I didn't know you had to get your dog put down, big hugs sweety! The 24th was 3 years since our doggy Jessie died and we all miss her - having Ollie the horror dog reminds us of how much we miss her! ;) I remember the day she died - just before I scooped her up to put her in the laundry to rest and she looked at me and I said "you can let go you know......." and she did.............I know one day I'll be just as upset when Ollie arrives at his final time......

V - well done you! What's your secret?? I only want to lose 5kgs - that's all - I'm not asking for much - but do you think they'll budge???? Grrr! Enjoy the races - drink up!!

Happy birthday to Bram - good luck with that cake Amanda!

Shaz - yes I too suffer from insomnia. I wake up every night at 2am and can't get back to sleep until it's time to get up.....I am naughty tho - I will pop a pill to help me occassionally. I am happy to say though that we seem to have gotten on top of Cassi's insominia! Think she was anxious about starting school - we're doing a reward chart again, seems to have done the trick.

Louise - what kindy is Joe going to?? Gosh I can't believe he's at that age already! We must be due for that get together at Chermside soon!

It's the weekend - yay!! Enjoy everyone x

GIO

Hi All

Ah, yes, I remember the volcano dinosaur cake. I will post photos tonight or over weekend of my dinosaur.

Oh, and my icecream humpty dumpty cake for BabyJ

Had my hair done today - just a boring cut and colour (no foils) as I wouldn't never maintain it - so I need it in a (non) style for someone who can't be bothered doing her hair very often. I did get it quite short though, as with these workouts I'm doing I am washing it more often and washing long thick hair is such a hassle, but being a bit shorter I'll wash it most days rather than having smelly sweat hair. Hahaha.

Pam - Awww, that is so beautiful. Waaaah - nearly cried.

We having a big party here on the weekend for B & J - so I'll be preparing food for the hordes over the next few days.

Oooops - better go pick them up.

littleman

hello

sherryn - didnt you know the last 5 kilos are the hardest to lose...lol...the absolute hardest, i have 3.9 to go to my goal weight, until i changed the goal post to another 2 kilos lol.

amanda - i forgot to add, well i am pretty fit i think so all this exercise is def a bonus:) And forgot to say if we go to europe etc no girls wont come with us. Would be a waste of money for us at their age.

Amanda - hows the party going??? B and J's?

Me - i really want to do a cake course, again but at $1100 for three days i just cant justify it..but wish i could:(

been good with my exercise and food today so happy about that:) bring another loss this thursday:)

V - hope you are partying hard.

Well back to school monday for us, i have everything ready yahh, so must go shoppign tomorow for food etc..i never know what o pack in lunches tbh , i just hate thinkign of new things. So tomorrow will be a lounge round day but also gettgin organised fo rthe new start lol, no more sleep in:(

night all x

GIO

Hi All

Sharon - I'm considering going back to work actually, speaking of money,, as we could do with some "play" money - which we miss. And yeah, that is a very expensive course.

Party was great.

FINALLY people noticed I'd lost weight. My BIL who saw me only last weekend didn't even recognise me. LOL.

Anyway, Insomnia: I have a cup of camomile tea every night. I don't find that I sleep any more with it, but the quality of the sleep is better. It does make me wake for a pee during the night, but I can get back to sleep easily, same as the two feeds I give BabyJ - feed and sleep (for the most part).

Another bonus is that it's a muscle relaxant and so helps prevent period pain.

Hmmm, just read my previous post "wouldn't never" LOL. Sorry for the double negative.

OK - Must go - v tired.